+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Privatisation of all vital services for vulnerable people...

Privatisation of all vital services for vulnerable people...

...creeping ever closer.

No prizes for guessing which swine is at the front of the queue hoovering up taxpayers money.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-bath-somerset

Thankfully there are still laws against a similar sell off of children's services within councils but how long that will last is anyone's guess.

Currently there is a clause saying that any profits will be reinvested in services but given how well versed companies are in the art of shifting profit around I am worried that this will end up being meaningless.

Feedback

Re: Privatisation of all vital services for vulnerable people...

I take it this will still be under the banner of the NHS and thus free at the point of service? If so, then does it really matter who delivers the service as long as the service is delivered?

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    I take it this will still be under the banner of the NHS and thus free at the point of service? If so, then does it really matter who delivers the service as long as the service is delivered?
    The clue is in the words "for profit". So service quality will alway play second fiddle to the act of making money.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    The clue is in the words "for profit". So service quality will alway play second fiddle to the act of making money.
    Indeed.

Usually the first thing a company will do when they win a previously public contract is squeeze staffing costs, cut numbers, increase hours - effectively cut the quality of care, do the bare minimum and create an environment where vulnerable people will suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    It doesnt matter who provides the service - BUT in order for it to be the best value for money etc - competition needs to exist to keep the provider on its toes with regards to quality of service / cost.

I dont think that is possible, having said that having a dept that is not accountable and has no incentive to pride a good service or improve is equally as bad. All down to local management quality I guess.

Sat here typing that with a glass of wine whilst listening to the radio.....
    I tend to use my fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    It doesnt matter who provides the service - BUT in order for it to be the best value for money etc - competition needs to exist to keep the provider on its toes with regards to quality of service / cost.

I dont think that is possible, having said that having a dept that is not accountable and has no incentive to pride a good service or improve is equally as bad. All down to local management quality I guess.

Sat here typing that with a glass of wine whilst listening to the radio.....
    This is a fact and people blindly won't accept it.

They've got some romantic idea of the NHS. When it isn't sustainable in the modern capitalist world.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    This is a fact and people blindly won't accept it.

They've got some romantic idea of the NHS. When it isn't sustainable in the modern capitalist world.
    Why not? We are still paying the same amount of tax as before, if not more. So what's up? Are nuclear subs, aircraft carriers, foreign wars and excessive surveillance systems more important? If you think about it, it's not the NHS that is the problem, it's the running of the country in a way that disregards the interests of the people