+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Driving standards (in particular, roundabouts)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Driving standards (in particular, roundabouts)

I noticed a couple of posts mentioning indicating whilst driving in the all official 'Pet Hates' thread, and it got me thinking. Over the past 6 mths or so, I've noticed a severe deterioration on the general standard of driving at roundabouts.

I have recently been bemused by an increasing number of people stopping at roundabouts approaching from my right, despite them having right of way. I approach, see them approaching, and so slow and then stop, continuing to watch them (as you do for a smooth and efficient getaway myself). Recently however, I'm finding more and more that are stopping there and looking at me ffs! I am finding myself having to pull out myself ahead of my turn, just to resolve the ensuing impasse!

Has anyone else noticed this? I can only think that new drivers are no longer reading the highway code from cover to cover like we had to (only late 90s for me anyway!) or some older drivers have simply forgotten what to do!

This theory would explain a lot of other driving faux pas such as the disgusting middle lane hogging (or outer lane on a dual carriageway) and driving over a zebra crossing while the people are still in the road (albeit having passed the centre white line).

Also re: roundabouts - I'm sure I'm right in thinking that you should always indicate right and then left just before your exit, so that everyone else knows what you might be up to (even when going straight on?). This has largely become obsolete sadly, and so now it's more a guessing game.

Yours,

Disgruntled in Cleethorpes.
    Last edited by Arfur Europe; 12-11-16 at 00:41.