+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving standards (in particular, roundabouts)

Driving standards (in particular, roundabouts)

I noticed a couple of posts mentioning indicating whilst driving in the all official 'Pet Hates' thread, and it got me thinking. Over the past 6 mths or so, I've noticed a severe deterioration on the general standard of driving at roundabouts.

I have recently been bemused by an increasing number of people stopping at roundabouts approaching from my right, despite them having right of way. I approach, see them approaching, and so slow and then stop, continuing to watch them (as you do for a smooth and efficient getaway myself). Recently however, I'm finding more and more that are stopping there and looking at me ffs! I am finding myself having to pull out myself ahead of my turn, just to resolve the ensuing impasse!

Has anyone else noticed this? I can only think that new drivers are no longer reading the highway code from cover to cover like we had to (only late 90s for me anyway!) or some older drivers have simply forgotten what to do!

This theory would explain a lot of other driving faux pas such as the disgusting middle lane hogging (or outer lane on a dual carriageway) and driving over a zebra crossing while the people are still in the road (albeit having passed the centre white line).

Also re: roundabouts - I'm sure I'm right in thinking that you should always indicate right and then left just before your exit, so that everyone else knows what you might be up to (even when going straight on?). This has largely become obsolete sadly, and so now it's more a guessing game.

Yours,

Disgruntled in Cleethorpes.
    Last edited by Arfur Europe; 12-11-16 at 00:41.

Re: Driving standards (in particular, roundabouts)

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    I noticed a couple of posts mentioning indicating whilst driving in the all official 'Pet Hates' thread, and it got me thinking. Over the past 6 mths or so, I've noticed a severe deterioration on the general standard of driving at roundabouts.

I have recently been bemused by an increasing number of people stopping at roundabouts approaching from my right, despite them having right of way. I approach, see them approaching, and so slow and then stop, continuing to watch them (as you do for a smooth and efficient getaway myself). Recently however, I'm finding more and more that are stopping there and looking at me ffs! I am finding myself having to pull out myself ahead of my turn, just to resolve the ensuing impasse!

Has anyone else noticed this? I can only think that new drivers are no longer reading the highway code from cover to cover like we had to (only late 90s for me anyway!) or some older drivers have simply forgotten what to do!

This theory would explain a lot of other driving faux pas such as the disgusting middle lane hogging (or outer lane on a dual carriageway) and driving over a zebra crossing while the people are still in the road (albeit having passed the centre white line).

Also re: roundabouts - I'm sure I'm right in thinking that you should always indicate right and then left just before your exit, so that everyone else knows what you might be up to (even when going straight on?). This has largely become obsolete sadly, and so now it's more a guessing game.

Yours,

I have noticed they stop on roundabouts in some parts of Continental Europe so perhaps, with all the immigrants in our multi cultural society, it is people from abroad who are stopping?
    Similarly those who took their driving test abroad might not have been taught to indicate right then left as you correctly say they should.
    There are many more foreigners living and working in this country nowadays so might be a feasible rationale?

I was riding my motorbike recently when I was undertaken by a young girl in her Little Citroen. I was telling someone about it and he suggested,she probably didn't realise she was doing anything wrong. Also,too many people don't know the correct procedure at some traffic lights with the right turn arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I have noticed they stop on roundabouts in some parts of Continental Europe so perhaps, with all the immigrants in our multi cultural society, it is people from abroad who are stopping?
    Similarly those who took their driving test abroad might not have been taught to indicate right then left as you correctly say they should.
    There are many more foreigners living and working in this country nowadays so might be a feasible rationale?
    Most foreigners are used to driving on the right, so, unlike us Brits, would normally give way to the left (We give way to the right).
    But those damn Frenchies have a law which says that priority is always to the right - even though they drive on the right!
    This means that drivers on a roundabout must give way to drivers entering the roundabout!
    This is why we see chaos at that big junction by the Arc de Triomphe -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2RCPpdmSVg

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    I was riding my motorbike recently when I was undertaken by a young girl in her Little Citroen. I was telling someone about it and he suggested,she probably didn't realise she was doing anything wrong. Also,too many people don't know the correct procedure at some traffic lights with the right turn arrow.

U shoulda bin goin FASTER

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Most foreigners are used to driving on the right, so, unlike us Brits, would normally give way to the left (We give way to the right).
    But those damn Frenchies have a law which says that priority is always to the right - even though they drive on the right!
    This means that drivers on a roundabout must give way to drivers entering the roundabout!

This is why we see chaos at that big junction by the Arc de Triomphe -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2RCPpdmSVg
    Not true any more, except in one or two rural areas where local rules might apply and in cases where there are no road markings to indicate right of way. In many years of driving in France I have only seen 3 or 4 villages where the old rules still apply.

Pain in the arse. Getting worse as Cardiff grinds toward gridlock.

Also, no manners or use of 'merge inn turn' - prime example the junction by Cathedral School, heading out of town toward Llandaff.

Not indicating at a roundabout is just lazy and shows a lack of consideration toward others.

Also on the slip road coming off A48m Gabalfa Interchange heading West, there's 3 lanes, one for right, one for straight on (Heath hospital/ back onto A48m) one for right turn.
    So why do so many people use the middle lane for turning right ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Pain in the arse. Getting worse as Cardiff grinds toward gridlock.

Also, no manners or use of 'merge INN turn' - prime example the junction by Cathedral School, heading out of town toward Llandaff.

Not indicating at a roundabout is just lazy and shows a lack of consideration toward others.

Also on the slip road coming off A48m Gabalfa Interchange heading West, there's 3 lanes, one for right, one for straight on (Heath hospital/ back onto A48m) one for right turn.
    So why do so many people use the middle lane for turning right ?

Always on about the pub, in you.

Bluetooth, I will go faster next time.

Banned

As a regular driver along the m4 , I can confirm the worst stretch is coming from London to Reading. There are some right nobs that dart in front of you late to take approaching turn offs.

As for roundabouts , I can't stand people that drive in a straight line instead of using the circular motion of the road. You know the ones that encroach your Lane as you turn around the bout

Driving standards now dreadful, use of indicators becoming extinct. Mobile phone distraction now the leading cause of road deaths. On the City coach going to the Bristol Rovers cup game, a driver for DEVIZES TEXTILES was overtaking us steering with both elbows, phone in one hand texting with the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post

Yours,

This is one of my pet hates, not just on roundabouts, I am sure that 40 % of cars do not have indicators given their lack of use

My favourite thing when driving is if I'm going to turn off and someone wants to pull out of a junction is to not indicate and then turn at the last moment, they've then been waiting there but could've pulled out a while before. Always gets people angry.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    My favourite thing when driving is if I'm going to turn off and someone wants to pull out of a junction is to not indicate and then turn at the last moment, they've then been waiting there but could've pulled out a while before. Always gets people angry.
    twat

Correct me, but I don't think you indicate when going straight on at roundabouts....

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    twat
    I know, but it's addictive.

The roundabout that does my box in is the RhydYPenau road roundabout and because I use it almost everyday, it's a very small roundabout with 2 approach lanes, left lane to head down towards Roath park or straight on to the three arches, right lane to turn right and head up fidlas road towards Llanishen, it's now become a guessing game as the right lane brigade have hijacked the lane to go straight on towards the three arches squeezing the left hand lane brigade into no space, my wife worked in an office above the HSBC bank overlooking the roundabout for 12 years, the screeching of brakes and accidents have increased significantly over the past 3 years.They have recently introduced new pedestrian crossings approaching the roundabouts which are a vast improvement but have kept the crossings far too close to the roundabout, with the modern day thinking of not letting anyone in, traffic is continually backed up through the roundabout. Like many areas of the diff, this part is gridlocked at peak periods. Luckily residents resisted the property developers regarding the Reservoir proposed development which would have increased this problem and the potential for more accidents at this spot.

Huge articulated lorries don`t even bother stopping at Roundabouts. It`s like they think **** it. what you going to do drive into me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Correct me, but I don't think you indicate when going straight on at roundabouts....

How do other drivers know you are going straight on ?

You do. You indicate left before you exit.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    How do other drivers know you are going straight on ?
    You do. You indicate left before you exit.

Glad it was you that told him/her

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Huge articulated lorries don`t even bother stopping at Roundabouts. It`s like they think **** it. what you going to do drive into me.
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Most road users are like Trump uncaring ,arrogant ,all about me .

Have not read whole thread, but am fed up of c***s who no longer feel any need to indicate at roundabout - or fecking anywhere.

Any semblance of basic civility and understanding of 'whose right of way it is' have also gone for good.

As said above, it is now seemingly beneath vast numbers of people to give way, back down or comply.
    I suspect that it is a mirror of cultural trends over the last few decades.

I wish I was 'over-generalising', but I don't think that I am!