+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Driving standards (in particular, roundabouts)

Re: Driving standards (in particular, roundabouts)

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    Have not read whole thread, but am fed up of c***s who no longer feel any need to indicate at roundabout - or fecking anywhere.

Any semblance of basic civility and understanding of 'whose right of way it is' have also gone for good.

As said above, it is now seemingly beneath vast numbers of people to give way, back down or comply.
    I suspect that it is a mirror of cultural trends over the last few decades.

I wish I was 'over-generalising', but I don't think that I am!
    Add to that cyclists don't bother to indicate either

Longest Roundabout Drive

The late Miss Dierdre Martin of Canterbury (GB) holds the record for the longest continuous traffic island circumnavigation. Setting out for Sturry on Monday, March 2nd 1998, she entered a traffic island at the junction of the A2050 and the A28. Trapped by other vehicles, she found herself unable to take her chosen exit and decided to go round once more. 4 days, 3 hrs 16 min later, having rounded the island an amazing 5813.3 times, Miss Martin was still unable to reach her exit, and her Ford Fiesta ran out of petrol. A passing motorist stopped and topped her car up with a gallon 4.5l of fuel, after which she continued for another 632 circuits before dying of natural causes.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Correct me, but I don't think you indicate when going straight on at roundabouts....
    you do not indicate when entering then indicate left when leaving.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^
    The whole point of roundabouts is that you shouldn't stop. Used correctly they keep traffic moving not stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The whole point of roundabouts is that you shouldn't stop. Used correctly they keep traffic moving not stop it.
    So you're allowed to join the roundabout and drive in front of somebody causing them to brake

Indicators are becoming superfluous on cars. It won't be long before they are optional extras along with cruise control etc. One positive is that it could reduce the cost of buying a new car of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Indicators are becoming superfluous on cars. It won't be long before they are optional extras along with cruise control etc. One positive is that it could reduce the cost of buying a new car of course.
    We could go back to sticking your arm out of the window

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    My favourite thing when driving is if I'm going to turn off and someone wants to pull out of a junction is to not indicate and then turn at the last moment, they've then been waiting there but could've pulled out a while before. Always gets people angry.
    Not just a WUM on here then you are the type of person that makes Steve lose the plot, I'm usually telling him to stop swearing and explaining that he should give people the benefit of the doubt because they might be lost or something, guess I'm going to have to accept that some people are just twats

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    Not just a WUM on here then you are the type of person that makes Steve lose the plot, I'm usually telling him to stop swearing and explaining that he should give people the benefit of the doubt because they might be lost or something, guess I'm going to have to accept that some people are just twats

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    We could go back to sticking your arm out of the window

Anyone remember those little hinged "pointing"indicators that sprung out of the door post?

I think it's disgusting that drivers pull off on the hard shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post

Anyone remember those little hinged "pointing"indicators that sprung out of the door post?
    Morris's wan it (not the "BOSS")

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Pain in the arse. Getting worse as Cardiff grinds toward gridlock.

Also, no manners or use of 'merge inn turn' - prime example the junction by Cathedral School, heading out of town toward Llandaff.

Not indicating at a roundabout is just lazy and shows a lack of consideration toward others.

Also on the slip road coming off A48m Gabalfa Interchange heading West, there's 3 lanes, one for right, one for straight on (Heath hospital/ back onto A48m) one for right turn.
    So why do so many people use the middle lane for turning right ?
    I think the middle Lane is signposted straight on or right. The worst part of the roundabout is the ignorance of the 'left turn only' lane from North Rd onto Western Ave.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I think the middle Lane is signposted straight on or right. The worst part of the roundabout is the ignorance of the 'left turn only' lane from North Rd onto Western Ave.
    I'll look out for signs, driven up there's about 500 times and not seen any signs telling you that middle lane can be right turn- it doesn't make sense to do that anyway as there is a right hsmd lane and only one lane to exit on.

However it's very early in the morning when I'm there, so might be wrong.
    Will look closely tomorrow

Also not sure if we are talking about the same exit.
    I'm talking about coming OFF Western Ave heading East at Gabalfa

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Also not sure if we are talking about the same exit.
    I'm talking about coming OFF Western Ave heading East at Gabalfa
    Apple orgies- I know what you mean now. You did say heading West which confused me.

Apple orgies- I know what you mean now. You did say heading West which confused me.
    Sorry 👍

Highway Code -
    4. Roundabouts (184 to 190)

On approaching a roundabout take notice and act on all the information available to you, including traffic signs, traffic lights and lane markings which direct you into the correct lane. You should

•use Mirrors – Signal – Manoeuvre at all stages
    •decide as early as possible which exit you need to take
    •give an appropriate signal (see Rule 186, below). Time your signals so as not to confuse other road users
    •get into the correct lane
    •adjust your speed and position to fit in with traffic conditions
    •be aware of the speed and position of all the road users around you.

When reaching the roundabout you should

•give priority to traffic approaching from your right, unless directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights
    •check whether road markings allow you to enter the roundabout without giving way. If so, proceed, but still look to the right before joining
    •watch out for all other road users already on the roundabout; be aware they may not be signalling correctly or at all
    •look forward before moving off to make sure traffic in front has moved off.

Picture

Signals and position. When taking the first exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

•signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
    •keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
    •signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
    •keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
    •signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
    •select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout
    •you should not normally need to signal on approach
    •stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
    •signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.

In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to

•pedestrians who may be crossing the approach and exit roads
    •traffic crossing in front of you on the roundabout, especially vehicles intending to leave by the next exit
    •traffic which may be straddling lanes or positioned incorrectly
    •motorcyclists
    •cyclists and horse riders who may stay in the left-hand lane and signal right if they intend to continue round the roundabout. Allow them to do so
    •long vehicles (including those towing trailers). These might have to take a different course or straddle lanes either approaching or on the roundabout because of their length. Watch out for their signals.

Mini-roundabouts. Approach these in the same way as normal roundabouts. All vehicles MUST pass round the central markings except large vehicles which are physically incapable of doing so. Remember, there is less space to manoeuvre and less time to signal. Avoid making U-turns at mini-roundabouts. Beware of others doing this.
    Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10(1) & 16(1)

At double mini-roundabouts treat each roundabout separately and give way to traffic from the right.

Multiple roundabouts. At some complex junctions, there may be a series of mini-roundabouts at each intersection. Treat each mini-roundabout separately and follow the normal rules.

Picture

What annoys me, are drivers who approach a roundabout, and even when there isn't a vehicle in sight, stop at the "give way" line then select 1st gear before moving off again. It's give way line, not a stop line.

The amount of people who don't have the ability to change the direction of their indicator when going around a roundabout is hilarious.

It isn't hard.

If they go right around it they'll just leave their indicator the same turning left

I used to live in Spain, and their "rules" at a roundabout never ceased to amaze me.

Forget indicators, they don't seem to have any in Spain.

Then it always did my head in that there seemed to be no rule as to which lane you should use when entering/exiting the roundabout. Example, it was quite normal that a car wanting to turn left would enter the roundabout using the left-hand lane and travel all around the outside lane, passing 2 or 3 exits before getting off. On the other hand some cars used the "correct" entry/exit lanes so often it meant cars vying for the same exit at the same time. I used to get strange looks when sounding my horn to complain! Then one day I was behind a learner driver at a roundabout and they entered using the left-hand lane, traveled around the outside passing 2 exits and then got off, all without an indicator being used. I gave up complaining after that.