+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: England v India, 1st Test, Rajkot

England v India, 1st Test, Rajkot

A bit late in the day, but whatever.

England win the toss and bat first, posting 311-4 at stumps on Day 1. Superb knock from Joe Root to score his 11th test century and his first in the subcontinent. Great partnership of 179 between him and Moeen Ali who sits on 99* at the end of the day.

Thought Haseeb Hameed looked promising opening, then again I'm still dumbfounded as to why he told Cook not to review when he was given out; was going miles down the leg side!

So far, so good

Re: England v India, 1st Test, Rajkot

Not England v India in Rajkot.

I listened in work this morning and i am just catching up with the highlights now.
    what strikes about the game is the pitch, It could be in England, I`ve never seen such a Green pitch in India!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex! View Post
    A bit late in the day, but whatever.

England win the toss and bat first, posting 311-4 at stumps on Day 1. Superb knock from Joe Root to score his 11th test century and his first in the subcontinent. Great partnership of 179 between him and Moeen Ali who sits on 99* at the end of the day.

Thought Haseeb Hameed looked promising opening, then again I'm still dumbfounded as to why he told Cook not to review when he was given out; was going miles down the leg side!

So far, so good
    Cooks a Ballance fan

First Team

Still concerned about the lack of runs from the opening partnership and also how on earth this attack is going to bowl the Indian team out twice.
    That aside Root is an unbelievable talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Cooks a Ballance fan
    If I have to watch Ballance again I might find my nearest bridge and jump off it.

The boys did Wales proud today and England

Come on wales

Not seen an awful lot of this Test but 537 all out England, decent score and good toss to win. Well batted Root, Ali and Stokes.
    Can they take 20 wickets on that bowling green of a pitch is the question.
    It's taking some spin tho so Moeen Ali will be champing at the bit.

First Team

Just dont think that England have the guile to get this Indian team out twice in these conditions. It's all well and good swinging the ball at Headingley under grey skies but this is a very different proposition. The first innings score should be enough to avoid defeat ( standard batting collapse not withstanding) but a draw already looks likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Just dont think that England have the guile to get this Indian team out twice in these conditions. It's all well and good swinging the ball at Headingley under grey skies but this is a very different proposition. The first innings score should be enough to avoid defeat ( standard batting collapse not withstanding) but a draw already looks likely.
    Was only able to watch parts of the final session but the bowlers looked OK and Moeen was getting the ball to turn a bit. If he's fit enough tomorrow it's probably where Stokes can come in and get the ball to reverse a little, perfect opportunity for him after a fantastic innings...

Was only able to watch parts of the final session but the bowlers looked OK and Moeen was getting the ball to turn a bit. If he's fit enough tomorrow it's probably where Stokes can come in and get the ball to reverse a little, perfect opportunity for him after a fantastic innings...
    Yes Stokes should be ok in the morning,it was cramp according to TMS

India post 488 all out. England currently 40-0 with a lead of 89. Very impressed with Hameed so far, some lovely shots and doesn't look out of his depth at al.

Looks set for a draw but it's been an excellent test match where I expected us to be rolled over, some great cricket from both teams

114-0, 163 in front Hameed 62 no its a shame that he never played against Bangladesh instead of Ballance

196-2, Cook's just gone to his hundred - Hameed out for 82.

England not ahead by enough to contemplate a lunchtime declaration - looks like a draw now because England will only have about fifty overs, at most, to bowl India out.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    196-2, Cook's just gone to his hundred - Hameed out for 82.

England not ahead by enough to contemplate a lunchtime declaration - looks like a draw now because England will only have about fifty overs, at most, to bowl India out.
    Cook goes above Bradman in the centuries list as well. Jesus he's so good in the subcontinent as well, 5th century in India as well. Hameed played brilliantly, although that was surely a no ball as the foot wasn't planted behind the line

Don't mind playing for the draw if I'm honest

Cook goes above Bradman in the centuries list as well. Jesus he's so good in the subcontinent as well, 5th century in India as well. Hameed played brilliantly, although that was surely a no ball as the foot wasn't planted behind the line

Don't mind playing for the draw if I'm honest
    I see Stokes has come in at four, so they must still be looking at a declaration as soon as possible after lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I see Stokes has come in at four, so they must still be looking at a declaration as soon as possible after lunch.
    They've set India 310 off 49 overs

Woakesy! Excellent start

Our incredibly average spinners dispelling the myth that Indian's play spin well

Come on boys!

First Team

Just feel like Cook declared just a little too late.
    Decent effort by the bowlers now but the Indians will kill the game dead by going on the defensive now, surely.
    Then again temp the lower order with dross and they may take the bait.

4 more wickets! Come on!

4 more wickets! Come on!
    Its been a very good effort but this will be a draw.

Thought we did brilliantly and didn't think we'd be capable of outplaying India like that in their own back yard. Top and middle order stepped up with the runs and the spinners were in control for most of it. Shoutout to Hameed who looked exceptional and not out of his depth at any point.

Onto Vizag we go.

First Team

A very decent effort considering that most people were anticipating an India win.
    The thing is England now have to back that up in the second test as India will not have appreciated that performance.
    Jimmy in for Broad would be my only change.