+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Internet without telephone line rental

Internet without telephone line rental

Going to be moving into my new house soon and it doesn't have a telephone line at present.
    Reading on from the amazon fire thread, I'm wondering if I can get Internet to access the like of amazon fire, without having to pay for a telephone line that I won't otherwise need.
    Any sensible advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Internet without telephone line rental

I think Virgin media are the only ones who do that, the catch is though that a. They don't cover everywhere b. To get the broadband you have to take their tv package.
    Everyone else uses the BT infrastructure and while it sounds mad, it's probably going to be cheaper to pay for a BT line

If you live in a cable area, maybe.
    If you would be happy with a 4G dongle then maybe.
    If you live in an area where 'Fibre to the Premises' (FTTP) or 'Fibre to the Home' is possible then - yes.

You can do a postcode search to find out what is available (only need the postcode) https://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

But you would probably not get FTTP cheaper than the combined cost of Broadband (fibre to the street cabinet) and a landline to get it into your house.

Vodafone ... but I can't vouch for their service quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Vodafone ... but I can't vouch for their service quality.
    I've got broadband only from Virgin (you don't have to have their TV too btw) it's not a big saving but is still cheaper than my old BT infinity plus line rental and considering I'd had my landline unplugged for the last couple of years because it was just virtually sales calls then a small saving was better than none.

Don't Sky TV boxes need to be connected to a landline?

You can't get Internet access without having a landline?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    The phone and the internet use a common connection cable. The phone companies thought it would be a good idea to charge for the phone line rental and for the internet connection, as an easy way of making money.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    You can, but not everywhere, and not necessarily cheap.
    This will change soon enough, 'they' are just milking yesterdays infrastructure while they still can squeeze few drops out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    You can, but not everywhere, and not necessarily cheap.
    This will change soon enough, 'they' are just milking yesterdays infrastructure while they still can squeeze few drops out of it.
    Any reduction in line rental will be more than matched by the increase in broadband costs, you can guarantee that!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    Any reduction in line rental will be more than matched by the increase in broadband costs, you can guarantee that!
    Not necessarily, the Vodafone price is competitive, but as I said above I can't vouch for their quality of service, as I've never used them.
    Last edited by Wales-Bales; 15-11-16 at 17:42.

My mobile contract is with Vodafone, their 4G service is quick, if that's anything to go by.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    My mobile contract is with Vodafone, their 4G service is quick, if that's anything to go by.
    Cool story bro