+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Child abuse in football- this is a tough read.

Child abuse in football- this is a tough read.

https://www.theguardian.com/football.../andy-woodward

I've never even thought about pedophiles using a position in football to target victims before, but it does seem obvious.

Good to read that Warnock was supportive, but the mention of Gary Speed,even though denied is uncomfortable.
    Well worth a read,difficult though.

Re: Child abuse in football- this is a tough read.

Shocking.

Wow, that's powerful.

Sexual abuse is something that can be taken lightly. You even see it on here sometimes, people downplay it or suspect the victims are lying or exaggerrating.

Read someone's own words about the horrors they went through and especially that this man has considered suicide ten times - that's when it starts to hit home. Speaking out about what has happened must be incredibly hard when all you want to do is suppress it.

As you say, tough to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post

I've never even thought about pedophiles using a position in football to target victims before, but it does seem obvious.

Good to read that Warnock was supportive, but the mention of Gary Speed,even though denied is uncomfortable.
    An interesting and depressing article.

In fairness to the FA, a lot of the Level 1 coaching course is all about child welfare and how to avoid situations like the ones described, ever arising. And of course everyone is CRB checked.

That said, it is appalling to think that scumbags like this ever got away with it, and some probably still are.

It is beyond words.

One can only imagine what an horrific time this man when through for those ten years, and the long term damage.

As we have experienced with the Jimmy Saville stories, these despicable people are clever & bare faced and, although tough to read, I suspect we will be reading similar in future.

Woodward shows tremendous courage to talk about his extraordinary experience in the hope of rooting out such people.
    There should be no hiding place for these cnuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    An interesting and depressing article.

In fairness to the FA, a lot of the Level 1 coaching course is all about child welfare and how to avoid situations like the ones described, ever arising. And of course everyone is CRB checked.

That said, it is appalling to think that scumbags like this ever got away with it, and some probably still are.

It is beyond words.
    You wouldnt imagine that it could happen today, especially at a professional club, such as Crewe.

As you said level one coaching in all sports involve a child awareness course and a CRB check, so even if the perpetrator got past those checks, the people around him would know that having children around your house is not acceptable behavior. There shouldn't be situations where coaches in positions of power should be alone with children.

It seems obvious now looking back that people with an intent to abuse children would look to get them into a situation where they could manipulate children, and in the safeguarding children course there are talks and examples of this happen and what signs to look out for.

I seem to remember a certain priest called Joe Jordan (not the Scottish tw^t), attached to Cardiff City in the '90's, being suddenly shipped out, when complaints started coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post

The same thought crept into my mind when the lad said he had a tendency towards dark haired lads. It's a tramatic event for one's so young , whats wrong with the world , the thought of what innocent youngsters go through, fills me with so much anger.

Warnock's reaction to the interview.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...P=share_btn_tw

Very sad and I suspect this still happens in the game albeit CRB checks should act as a layer of protection for youngsters.

It's changed to DBS Check now, but almost the same principle. Not a fail safe scheme by any means unfortunately but if it stops one child from being abused then it's worth having.

Now it's US athletics. Looks like the pedos are everywhere.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-abuse-scandal

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Now it's US athletics. Looks like the pedos are everywhere.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-abuse-scandal
    Unfortunately these people will always gravitate to situations that give them the opportunity to be around children.

Personally I'd happily give them all a lethal injection and not lose any sleep over it.