+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: BBC 5 live

BBC 5 live

Anyone listen to this?.

I used to have it on all day everyday not long ago.

Now though I never seen a more dreary, depressing set of topics to discuss.

Every single day they have people on that have lost children, have illness, been through tragedies etc.

Every. Single. Day. Without fail.

Today I put it on and this is the topic: Nihal presents live from the 24-hour call centre for the UK charity Missing People. Interviewing poor parents who don't know where there children are.

I know bad things happen but who really wants to listen to that during their normal day?.

There is nothing funny or entertaining mid week. They leave that for the weekend with Danny Baker etc.

The American election is over and it's back to normal. The BBC I suppose has to stop funding their reporters holidays in the US. They had radio shows 3/4/5 days after the event reporting from the South of the US. All at our expense I suppose. Shows which could be done over a telephone as all they were doing was conducting interviews.

Re: BBC 5 live

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Anyone listen to this?.

Every single day they have people on that have lost children, have illness, been through tragedies etc.

Today I put it on and this is the topic: Nihal presents live from the 24-hour call centre for the UK charity Missing People. Interviewing poor parents who don't know where there children are.

I know bad things happen but who really wants to listen to that during their normal day?.

There is nothing funny or entertaining mid week. They leave that for the weekend with Danny Baker etc.

The American election is over and it's back to normal. The BBC I suppose has to stop funding their reporters holidays in the US. They had radio shows 3/4/5 days after the event reporting from the South of the US. All at our expense I suppose. Shows which could be done over a telephone as all they were doing was conducting interviews.
    Sorry I disagree , I was painting rooms for two days his week had the station on 24/7 , first day we had articles on how the american political system worked ,which was interesting as it had many great advisers and live interviews , and a live within the house of commons ,in depth on how things worked., massive report on knife crime , born from an interview wiht an artist who has created an astonishing piece of art from recovered knifes involved in crimes .

Yesterday was an in depth interview with a 62 year old woman who swam the most dangerous water on earth between Florida and Cuba and an article / interview from a guy who was in jail and on death row for decades for a crime he did not commit .

Also live updates of Andy Murray's match at o2 , followed later in the evening great football hour .

Friday we have the excellent film reviews with Mark Kermode and Gavin Esler with top film star interviews

And as you say Saturday morning has Danny Baker and fighting talk ,which is second to non , their football coverage is exceptional in my view, have your tried talk sport on for more than ten minutes.

I suppose we have Red Dragon radio where you can catch up on Mrs Jones next doors troubles and where to buy a dodgy car from.

I do miss Jane Garvey and Peter Allen though , they did do a special though just Sunday gone

This is the best radio in the world , when the BBC asks for an interview they get one because of its status and the fact 5 million people tune in .

Last edited by life on mars; 17-11-16 at 14:34.

FYI Peter Allen & Jane Garvey are on every Sunday evening for the foreseeable.

Funnily enough i normally have 5live on all the time but have been listening to other stations for a few days because it was getting on my tits a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Sorry I disagree , I was painting rooms for two days his week had the station on 24/7 , first day we had articles on how the american political system worked ,which was interesting as it had many great advisers and live interviews , and a live within the house of commons ,in depth on how things worked., massive report on knife crime , born from an interview wiht an artist who has created an astonishing piece of art from recovered knifes involved in crimes .

Yesterday was an in depth interview with a 62 year old woman who swam the most dangerous water on earth between Florida and Cuba and an article / interview from a guy who was in jail and on death row for decades for a crime he did not commit .

Also live updates of Andy Murray's match at o2 , followed later in the evening great football hour .

Friday we have the excellent film reviews with Mark Kermode and Gavin Esler with top film star interviews

And as you say Saturday morning has Danny Baker and fighting talk ,which is second to non , their football coverage is exceptional in my view, have your tried talk sport on for more than ten minutes.

I suppose we have Red Dragon radio where you can catch up on Mrs Jones next doors troubles and where to buy a dodgy car from.

I do miss Jane Garvey and Peter Allen though , they did do a special though just Sunday gone

This is the best radio in the world , when the BBC asks for an interview they get one because of its status and the fact 5 million people tune in .

Don't get me wrong I do still listen.

It can't be a coincidence that every time I tune in their is someone either crying, or the presenter taking huge pauses inbetween questions to maximise the feeling of heartache.

That is the thing, the other options don't do it for me either. LBC gets boring after a while. I prefer 1 hour of phone ins like with "your call".

Those two do my head in!! I listen to 5 live all day in my car when travelling, but as soon as they start I turn over to something less lovey!

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Anyone listen to this?.

The BBC thrives on bringing 'reality' to us all. Even those topics that aren't tragic or depressing, you can guarantee they'll find an angle to go in that direction. They long since stopped bringing the news. When the alarm goes at 7am and if 5 live is tuned in, the headline will start with something like " ... a report out today says that that blah, blah, blah..'. That then becomes the phone in topic for the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The BBC thrives on bringing 'reality' to us all. Even those topics that aren't tragic or depressing, you can guarantee they'll find an angle to go in that direction. They long since stopped bringing the news. When the alarm goes at 7am and if 5 live is tuned in, the headline will start with something like " ... a report out today says that that blah, blah, blah..'. That then becomes the phone in topic for the morning.
    Different stroke for different folks I guess .

I know there is a lot of sad articles on the am slot ,however there is a very sad world , pm is different in my view , I do take in radio 6 , 4 xtra , sadly I am unable to listen to commercial radio , and the radio is by far my biggest media intake

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dwr View Post
    Those two do my head in!! I listen to 5 live all day in my car when travelling, but as soon as they start I turn over to something less lovey!
    This ^^^^^

One word......pretentious

Good to see Collymore back in work though

I rarely listen to 5 live these days and tend to dial into radio 2 as in Ken Bruce,Jeremy Vine and Chris Evans. I'm getting old.

Rad Mac on 6 Music.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Rad Mac on 6 Music.
    Now your talking, an acquired taste I know but Keavney in the morning is superb too

Don't you sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    Now your talking, an acquired taste I know but Keavney in the morning is superb too
    Yep, love Keaveny's breakfast show, funny and excellent music.
    Love embarrassing the kids by dad dancing over breakfast.

Completely agree with you OP, used to love 5live but over the last 5 years its transformed into a station for bleeding heart liberals, it used to make me thoroughly depressed. I understand that cancer is a horrible disease and needs to be discussed but I don't want to hear interviews with parents whose child has died because of it, especially during the day.

I listen to Talksport although the same old debates and moron callers do get boring and the adverts and jingles are far too frequent. I like LBC and the newly launched Talkradio too. The Farage call in is brilliant on LBC, he slays lefties for the full three hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Don't you sleep?
    Ssssssh I'm listening to the radio .