+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Pointless technology

Pointless technology

I had no booze in the house last night except the mrs had some bottles of Coors light (ffs) in the fridge. Anyway while drinking the pathetic excuse for lager I noticed it had a label on it that tells you when it's cold. I mean what the bloody hell is that all about then? Presumably Americans lack a sense of touch?

And another thing. What in the name of Christ is the point in those little volume indicator lines that come up on the screen when you turn your telly up? My Mrs reckons it's in case a deaf person is turning the telly up on behalf of someone that can hear!! What a load of old bollocks.

Re: Pointless technology

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Facebook
    Damn right! And those stupid message boards.

Electric tin openers

Way back in the 70s, I worked for computer manufacturer ICL.
    Amongst theirproduct line was a card punch machine (remember punched card input )
    One useful facility was to interpret the cards - ie print along the top of the card what the holes meant.
    Another, totally useless facility was to interpret what you're typing, but to inhibit the punching of holes!! WTF?

I think it's pretty good and Alexander & Richard complement it wonderfully

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I had no booze in the house last night except the mrs had some bottles of Coors light (ffs) in the fridge. Anyway while drinking the pathetic excuse for lager I noticed it had a label on it that tells you when it's cold. I mean what the bloody hell is that all about then? Presumably Americans lack a sense of touch?

And another thing. What in the name of Christ is the point in those little volume indicator lines that come up on the screen when you turn your telly up? My Mrs reckons it's in case a deaf person is turning the telly up on behalf of someone that can hear!! What a load of old bollocks.
    They used to have that on bottles of Newcastle Brown, the blue star

Electric--feck your stuff up--dishwashers

I've also got a cordless drill that has a light on it to tell you the battery has run out. Just in case I couldn't work out why it's stopped working I suppose?

I love music and electric guitar music in particular - although I can't play a note and I don't understand music whatsoever. However, can someone tell me why the fretboards have the little dots on them even on the most expensive models? Surely, if you but an expensive Strat you shouldn't be playing dot-to-dot. Or am I missing something that is obvious to the musical literate?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I've also got a cordless drill that has a light on it to tell you the battery has run out. Just in case I couldn't work out why it's stopped working I suppose?
    How does the light work if the battery has run out?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I love music and electric guitar music in particular - although I can't play a note and I don't understand music whatsoever. However, can someone tell me why the fretboards have the little dots on them even on the most expensive models? Surely, if you but an expensive Strat you shouldn't be playing dot-to-dot. Or am I missing something that is obvious to the musical literate?
    My dad tried to teach me how to play,he said as long as you have fingers you never play the guitar

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    How does the light work if the battery has run out?
    I have to assume that there is enough power to light an LED but not enough to drive the motor. Either that or it's witchcraft.

Nuclear Weapons.

Banned

Indicators

Quote Originally Posted by Kiffa View Post
    Electric tin openers
    I like their Out of the Blue' double album best.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Nuclear Weapons.
    No arguing with that.
    Literally.

Dual zone climate control in cars. So the passenger side can bask in 19 degree temperature, while my side is a more brisk 18 degrees. Aye ok

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Dual zone climate control in cars. So the passenger side can bask in 19 degree temperature, while my side is a more brisk 18 degrees. Aye ok
    Along the same lines... patio heaters. FFS if it's cold stick a jumper on or go inside.

Might as well burn fivers (not the new ones, they will melt all over your hands)

And don't get me started on sundials this time of year...

Quote Originally Posted by Ring_Peace View Post
    Along the same lines... patio heaters. FFS if it's cold stick a jumper on or go inside.

Might as well burn fivers (not the new ones, they will melt all over your hands)

Correct about sundials, they've buggered up my wrists over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    we had this discussion in the hire car in orlando recently, except this car had " quad zone C C "

my youngest had her's set to 16 in the rear behind me ( the driver ) , oldest and the wife, had it to 20, so the right hand side of the car was set to 20, then i had mine down to 12 or 14

i was worried that the left hand side of the car was warm and the right cold, a storm might form and we might have had thunder, thankfully it didnt happen

Yes but if people did that when it got cold 350 days per year (and that's in the south) , all of the outdoor living merchandise such as patio tables, chairs, sunbeds, steamers, parasols, barbecues, barbecuing condiments, barbecue food, patio creating materials, gazebos, rattan lounge furniture etc... would be redundant and Homebase would be no more.

Patio heaters in one aisle, loft lagging and energy saving bulbs in the other

Umm. That light is so that you can see where you are drilling, well it is on my cordless drill anyway

I enjoy burning monetary notes in my country mansion gardens, whilst observing the look on my neighbours face from the window of his adjoining hovel.

that new amazon thing that you talk into.