+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: There's another £369m gone out our pockets

Re: There's another £369m gone out our pockets

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I've seen her twice in my life. The first time was when she sped past at about 50 mph during her tour of Wales during the Silver Jubilee in 1977. The last time was after she'd opened the Senedd in 2006, her car very briefly stopped alongside my van as she was heading up Lloyd George Avenue, this time I managed to flick her the V's as she turned towards me. She didn't look impressed, but then she never does, does she.
    Waste of money. Bloody spongers. That money could go into building new hospitals or bringing in more nurses.I will never understand why these mediocrities are fawned over.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    200 mill a year isnt to be sniffed at
    Noel Gallagher managed it it for most of the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Small potatoes compared to the money Royalty generates for the U.K
    The German/English 'royals' generate sweet Fek All for Wales. Lazy sods, get rid of them!!!!!

Plus another £289m for the BBC, it looks like we're rolling in cash

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37990220

If the "sense of nationhood" was the press to spending days upon days talking about a royal baby or trying to force the idea of Kate being a normal girl down our throat then it's not worth the cost and not necessary. If the "sense of nationhood" is giving honours to people either undeserving or have been rewarded countless times every week then the Royal's have no real place in our society. If the "sense of nationhood" is treating wealthy celebrities not paying their taxes then hopefully the Royals won't look too far to find out why their palace is falling down.

The Queen does do good work but if the palace is too big to keep then allow some rooms to fall or sell off some of the other property.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    If the "sense of nationhood" was the press to spending days upon days talking about a royal baby or trying to force the idea of Kate being a normal girl down our throat then it's not worth the cost and not necessary. If the "sense of nationhood" is giving honours to people either undeserving or have been rewarded countless times every week then the Royal's have no real place in our society. If the "sense of nationhood" is treating wealthy celebrities not paying their taxes then hopefully the Royals won't look too far to find out why their palace is falling down.

The Queen does do good work but if the palace is too big to keep then allow some rooms to fall or sell off some of the other property.
    Nothing to do with Wales - whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by valley boy View Post
    The building is part of our history and is worth looking after.If football clubs can pay up to 100 million on football player surely we can safeguard our heritage.
    I can't see how you can possibly connect the two. Football clubs are privately owned entities that, if they want to pay ridiculous money, they can. I'm certain that if Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal etc etc etc asked for £369m from the taxpayer to buy players to safeguard their heritage then there would be riots.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    The Queen does do good work
    Indeed. She did some voluntary overtime cold calling for some PPI call centre on Wednesday and last night she did an 18 hour shift mechanically recovering meat from bare carcasses for McDonalds.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I've seen her twice in my life. The first time was when she sped past at about 50 mph during her tour of Wales during the Silver Jubilee in 1977. The last time was after she'd opened the Senedd in 2006, her car very briefly stopped alongside my van as she was heading up Lloyd George Avenue, this time I managed to flick her the V's as she turned towards me. She didn't look impressed, but then she never does, does she.
    She has lived most of her adult life with incurable flatulence, hence the miserable disposition and dour face.

Apparently she has a lousy diet and has wont eat anything apart from Sour Kraut and Bratwurst.

Buck House is not having an electrical refit the money is being spent on new Karsi's and additional plumbing!!

Oh no, it looks like we've run out of money again.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...gling-families

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38025513

She should pay for it out of her own pocket
    Something I saw on Reddit earlier:

"George III had huge debts, so offered Parliament a deal. In exchange for a fixed salary, the land being maintained by the tax payer and the debts being wiped, Parliament would get the rent from the lands.

Today, that salary is around £40m a year, which sounds like a lot, until you realise the rent is £200m a year, which means Parliament pays in £1 and gets £5 back. Seems like a good investment to me.

Now, this repairing business has to be done, but only about once every 50 years, which means the tax payer is paying 4% of what the royal lands will pay them. Doesn't seem unreasonable.

And this is before we start talking about tourism.

As for why we don't just cut the royals out, they still own the land. Yes, it's held for them by a company (Royal land trust iirc), but they still own it. It is their property. Stop paying them their salary and they can just take back the rent, on the lands which they legally own."

Seems we the people rake in a decent amount of coin from just letting them live in their nice houses...

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley Harriott View Post
    As for why we don't just cut the royals out, they still own the land. Yes, it's held for them by a company (Royal land trust iirc), but they still own it. It is their property. Stop paying them their salary and they can just take back the rent, on the lands which they legally own."[/I]
    A little off topic, but we're any offences commited against the people of Britain when these lands were "acquired"? I seem to recall that Common Law was in place prior to 1066, so it would be interesting to know if the rule of law was adhered to by these fine gentlemen.

The Royal Family do not as individuals own the land. They are effectively trustees.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    France gets more tourists than us visiting their royal palaces and monuments, we must be doing something wrong ... maybe having people living inside of them perhaps?
    I say rent it out to Chinese tourists. A million a day would pay for the renovations in 1 year. The queen would have to live somewhere else mind.

Oh no, it looks like we've run out of money again.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...gling-families

Something I saw on Reddit earlier:

"George III had huge debts, so offered Parliament a deal. In exchange for a fixed salary, the land being maintained by the tax payer and the debts being wiped, Parliament would get the rent from the lands.

Today, that salary is around £40m a year, which sounds like a lot, until you realise the rent is £200m a year, which means Parliament pays in £1 and gets £5 back. Seems like a good investment to me.

Now, this repairing business has to be done, but only about once every 50 years, which means the tax payer is paying 4% of what the royal lands will pay them. Doesn't seem unreasonable.

And this is before we start talking about tourism.

As for why we don't just cut the royals out, they still own the land. Yes, it's held for them by a company (Royal land trust iirc), but they still own it. It is their property. Stop paying them their salary and they can just take back the rent, on the lands which they legally own."

Seems we the people rake in a decent amount of coin from just letting them live in their nice houses...
    Who pays the rent?

A little off topic, but we're any offences commited against the people of Britain when these lands were "acquired"? I seem to recall that Common Law was in place prior to 1066, so it would be interesting to know if the rule of law was adhered to by these fine gentlemen.
    It is one big con really.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Who pays the rent?
    There's always one fly in the ointment

There's always one fly in the ointment
    Unless it is robots from another universe then I think Mr Reddit has made a glaring omission to his calculations.

What a fantastic deal. We give them 200 million and they give us 160 million. Can't we have Rexit or Quexit now?

Unless it is robots from another universe then I think Mr Reddit has made a glaring omission to his calculations.

What a fantastic deal. We give them 200 million and they give us 160 million. Can't we have Rexit or Quexit now?
    Or Shoveit

Or Shoveit
    £14 back for every £1 spent on the royals apparently.

Who pays the rent?

I can pretty much guarantee that none of us on ccmb live on the Crown Estate's land.

The people who pay the rent are those dishevelled-looking plebians of London's Regent Street, the tenants of Ascot Racecourse, as well as various profit-making shopping centres across the UK (and some forests).

'We' normal folk profit from the rent taken by the Crown from some fairly wealthy people.

I can pretty much guarantee that none of us on ccmb live on the Crown Estate's land.

The people who pay the rent are those dishevelled-looking plebians of London's Regent Street, the tenants of Ascot Racecourse, as well as various profit-making shopping centres across the UK (and some forests).

'We' normal folk profit from the rent taken by the Crown from some fairly wealthy people.
    How do shopping centres make their money?

Quote Originally Posted by Welshcake. View Post
    £14 back for every £1 spent on the royals apparently.

I can't find that figure cited anywhere else.

Bloke in the video said they spend the money on missiles and stuff, so that the rich people can make billions from exploiting the natural resources of foreign lands.