+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Pochettino

Pochettino

Basically he says Spurs need more quality players to compete in the Champions League.

http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...cio-pochettino

Not sure there isn't an underlying message from MP here. Has he turned into Jose Mourinho for not accepting any blame tactically for their premature exit, or whether he is saying that the Premier League is lacking quality, after all Spurs qualified for the CL pretty comfortably and at one stage looked like they might be the favourites to catch Leicester.

It could be argued that, although players in the PL are amongst the highest players in the world, they aren't necessarily the best.
    Certainly in Spurs' case, competing in a very ordinary group this backs up this view.

Leicester, on the other hand, are already winners of their group with a round of games to go having looked more than comfortable in all of their games in the CL.
    This in complete contrast to their premier league form which, although they won't go down IMO, must be concerning for Ranieri.

Whilst I think that the depth of Leicester's squad is a major factor in their poor PL form, IMO they have a pretty ordinary set of players too, with the odd exception in Mahrez.
    Spurs' squad is IMI also superior to Leicester's.

Bearing in mind that Spurs comfortably made the CL qualification last season, could it be then that Poch is correct in that the quality of players currently in Spurs' squad are not what the "experts" say, I wonder whether we are all paying astronomical amounts for watching basically second rate football that is the Premier League.
    Perhaps he's just a sore loser!

Re: Pochettino

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Basically he says Spurs need more quality players to compete in the Champions League.

http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...cio-pochettino

Not sure there isn't an underlying message from MP here. Has he turned into Jose Mourinho for not accepting any blame tactically for their premature exit, or whether he is saying that the Premier League is lacking quality, after all Spurs qualified for the CL pretty comfortably and at one stage looked like they might be the favourites to catch Leicester.

It could be argued that, although players in the PL are amongst the highest players in the world, they aren't necessarily the best.
    Certainly in Spurs' case, competing in a very ordinary group this backs up this view.

Leicester, on the other hand, are already winners of their group with a round of games to go having looked more than comfortable in all of their games in the CL.
    This in complete contrast to their premier league form which, although they won't go down IMO, must be concerning for Ranieri.

Whilst I think that the depth of Leicester's squad is a major factor in their poor PL form, IMO they have a pretty ordinary set of players too, with the odd exception in Mahrez.
    Spurs' squad is IMI also superior to Leicester's.

Bearing in mind that Spurs comfortably made the CL qualification last season, could it be then that Poch is correct in that the quality of players currently in Spurs' squad are not what the "experts" say, I wonder whether we are all paying astronomical amounts for watching basically second rate football that is the Premier League.
    Perhaps he's just a sore loser!
    This topic is raised most years.
    Just look at Manchester City last year.
    I think the managers/coached have to accept most of the blame as player for player, most time the Premier League side is better. Monaco are an average side, with average players playing in a very poor league.
    That may sound harsh but it is the truth.

The failure of Spurs to progress must be due to playing their 'home' games in the CL on the big, unfamiliar pitch at Wembley - due to their expansionist plans. This decision (which would not have been taken by Poch) is at the root of their poor results.

However, his purchase of the striker Vincent Janssen for £17 shows an inability to judge a striker who will succeed in the Premiership. When he was brought on in the second half last night to rescue the game, he was ineffectual. Poch should take responsibility for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    The failure of Spurs to progress must be due to playing their 'home' games in the CL on the big, unfamiliar pitch at Wembley - due to their expansionist plans. This decision (which would not have been taken by Poch) is at the root of their poor results.

However, his purchase of the striker Vincent Janssen for £17 shows an inability to judge a striker who will succeed in the Premiership. When he was brought on in the second half last night to rescue the game, he was ineffectual. Poch should take responsibility for this.
    Good shout about the ground and Wembley certainly takes away the "home advantage effect" and I admire him for not citing that as a reason.

DubaiDai mentions his underperforming players, I suppose he is having a pop at his players without pointedly (in public anyway) singling them out.
    Are they underperforming though, perhaps knackered or just simply not good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Good shout about the ground and Wembley certainly takes away the "home advantage effect" and I admire him for not citing that as a reason.

DubaiDai mentions his underperforming players, I suppose he is having a pop at his players without pointedly (in public anyway) singling them out.
    Are they underperforming though, perhaps knackered or just simply not good enough?
    It wasn't just a strange venue but also I imagine (despite Pochettino saying contrary) that the Spurs pressing style is so much more effective with limited space.