+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

View Poll Results: Would you support the FAW basically saying F... off to the FiFA?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

29 70.73%
  • No

12 29.27%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you support the FAW saying an equivalent of F... off to FIFA?

Re: Would you support the FAW saying an equivalent of F... off to FIFA?

I'm sorry for your brother, but i don't believe he fought in a war so that you could choose what to wear, whichever conflict it was.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    I'm sorry for your brother, but i don't believe he fought in a war so that you could choose what to wear, whichever conflict it was.
    Ooooh sorry fella , You are completely out of my league.

It was the Falklands by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by valley boy View Post
    There is a principle here I would rather miss out on the world cup than give in on this.How can you compare a game of football to recognising the sacrifice these men and women have made for us and our families. They can stick the World Cup where the sun dont shine.We may not qualify anyway.I am football and sport bonkers but there is a line to be drawn here.
    You say this, but let's not cut off our noses to spite our face. Also, we've not actually received any action from FIFA yet, they're looking into it. Some people find poppies offensive, such as James McClean; as they view the British army as oppressive. I don't and I would have liked our team to have worn a poppy but this is a modern phenomenon that didn't even occur last year. We played Holland on 13th Nov, wore no poppy, there was no card display and nobody batted an eyelid. Football shirts had no poppies until 2011.

Also, and this is the important thing, IFAB and FIFA make the rules. All 4 home nations sit on IFAB, plus 4 others. We literally made this rule, its our rule that we've been stuffed by.

Remembrance doesn't mean the world has to stop turning. We remembered the dead and if there is a price to pay, then so be it but don't for one minute think I'd risk a place at the world cup for this. It's far too petty, the fine will be a slap on the wrist, 5 figures tops.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Funny see, I would think thats exactly why he and many hundreds before him fought in a war.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad as a fish View Post
    Funny see, I would think thats exactly why he and many hundreds before him fought in a war.
    Why do you care now, when you didn't last year?

http://www.skysports.com/football/wa...erlands/352046

No poppies, no armbands, no fuss, one day later than the Serbia game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Why do you care now, when you didn't last year?

http://www.skysports.com/football/wa...erlands/352046

No poppies, no armbands, no fuss, one day later than the Serbia game.
    Who the fook do you think you are to tell me I didn't care last year. Fortunately for you you didnt say that in my company because i would have shown you how much I care.

You say this, but let's not cut off our noses to spite our face. Also, we've not actually received any action from FIFA yet, they're looking into it. Some people find poppies offensive, such as James McClean; as they view the British army as oppressive. I don't and I would have liked our team to have worn a poppy but this is a modern phenomenon that didn't even occur last year. We played Holland on 13th Nov, wore no poppy, there was no card display and nobody batted an eyelid. Football shirts had no poppies until 2011.

Also, and this is the important thing, IFAB and FIFA make the rules. All 4 home nations sit on IFAB, plus 4 others. We literally made this rule, its our rule that we've been stuffed by.

Remembrance doesn't mean the world has to stop turning. We remembered the dead and if there is a price to pay, then so be it but don't for one minute think I'd risk a place at the world cup for this. It's far too petty, the fine will be a slap on the wrist, 5 figures tops.
    The point is the matter should not be questioned in the first place. The amount of the fine or otherwise has nothing to do with it for me its the fact that they have the audacity to tell us what we can or cannot do re a matter that is so sensitive to people.My god its hard to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Do you feel that you have not been able to recognise their sacrifices because of this?
    Its not the point.Its my right to wear an emblem when I like where I like to respect people who gave their life so I could have a better one.

Who the fook do you think you are to tell me I didn't care last year. Fortunately for you you didnt say that in my company because i would have shown you how much I care.
    He isn't saying that you didn't care, the point I think he's trying to make is that this wasn't a problem last year, so why is it one this year?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    He isn't saying that you didn't care, the point I think he's trying to make is that this wasn't a problem last year, so why is it one this year?
    With all due respect mate you are wrong, he was replying to my quote. See above about ten back.

If it isn't a political symbol, then you're not allowed to get upset when James McClean doesn't wear one.
    wasnt that his protest about the British military in NI ? ? ??

He attempted to turn it political, it never was, wear a poppy to remember the fallen in both world wars and any other conflict, if you dont want to wear it, then so be it, we have had far too many bleating on about the rights not to wear one

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

He attempted to turn it political, it never was, wear a poppy to remember the fallen in both world wars and any other conflict, if you dont want to wear it, then so be it, we have had far too many bleating on about the rights not to wear one
    Wearing a Swastika would be offensive as it would offend the majority of fans and would be seen as offensive by the police and dealt with accordingly.
    Wearing a poppy might offend some but not the majority and in no way portrays the same meaning as the Swastika. It is simply a passive means of demonstrating a consideration for those that have died whilst on public service. Not just military service.

That nothing happened last year is irrelevant. The fact that FIFA is acting in a nonsensical, insensitive and some would say offensive
    manner is the issue.

All of these controlling regulations are put in place primarily to ensure that sponsors and investors are not put off from doing so. It is all about money.

And we are talking here about FIFA!!
    Last edited by BLUEAWAY; 24-11-16 at 18:33.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

It is political for many people in Derry - and has been at least since Bloody Sunday. James McClean didn't make it political.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...-a6716081.html

It isn't political for most people in the UK or other countries (mainly ex British Empire and victors in World War One). I think the hyping and hijacking of the poppy by politicians and the press has been a mistake and a shame and wrong, but the FIFA response is totally over the top. However, despite the change of regime at FIFA I really doubt this would have been such an issue if the British football federations hadn't ramped up the commemoration and turned it into a collective and institutional event (egged on by the press) where personal choice has disappeared for players and many of the crowd. As others have said, what would the reaction have been at the stadium if spectators hadn't gone along with the creating the poppy motif in the Family Stand?

Maybe the various 100 year anniversaries (the Somme etc) have fed into this - but better we go back to what was done 10 years ago and show respect and remember in a more private and dignified way. Maybe also think a bit more about how this looks from other countries and whether British exceptionalism is justified. What if Germany had adopted a similar remembrance ceremony and symbol for its war dead after 1918, and carried that on to black arm bands, military parades, remembrance symbols all over their ground, and a card motif created by thousands of fans in a stand - all before playing Russia or Poland or Israel?

I'm not saying you don't care about remembrance last year but I am saying you probably weren't that bothered about Wales not wearing a poppy. If you'd like to show me a post on the matter, I'd gladly take it back.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Yes.
    And part of me wouldn't object if we withdrew from the competition.
    FIFA need to clean their own act up first. They've awarded this World Cup to a country mown for its racist and violent fans, never mind the global issues they have, and continue to be involved in. The one after that to a country with, to the best of my knowledge, zero football experience with a host nation team that would struggle in league two
    Scotland are hosting the world cup ?

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Yes.
    And part of me wouldn't object if we withdrew from the competition.
    FIFA need to clean their own act up first. They've awarded this World Cup to a country mown for its racist and violent fans, never mind the global issues they have, and continue to be involved in. The one after that to a country with, to the best of my knowledge, zero football experience with a host nation team that would struggle in league two
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Had to log in just to f*cking laugh at this!!!

Brilliant!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Had to log in just to f*cking laugh at this!!!
    Are you new here?

I'm not saying you don't care about remembrance last year but I am saying you probably weren't that bothered about Wales not wearing a poppy. If you'd like to show me a post on the matter, I'd gladly take it back.
    No need Pedro I obviously misunderstood you.

No need Pedro I obviously misunderstood you.
    Just to make it clear, I'd absolutely prefer it if they wore poppies as I have lost family members in conflicts, and I'd absolutely prefer it if FIFA didn't look into this as it's a not an issue in my opinion. However, I can see that people could get offended by it, I guess FIFA are showing there is no favoritism? I guess, or I hope anyway. I think we will get a slap on the wrist.

Just to make it clear, I'd absolutely prefer it if they wore poppies as I have lost family members in conflicts, and I'd absolutely prefer it if FIFA didn't look into this as it's a not an issue in my opinion. However, I can see that people could get offended by it, I guess FIFA are showing there is no favoritism? I guess, or I hope anyway. I think we will get a slap on the wrist.
    Could you offer some perspective on who you think those that might be offended are and how many of them they might be and also whether they were likely to have been at the Cardiff or Wembley matches?