+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jo Cox verdict.

Jo Cox verdict.

If you cast your minds back to June, you might remember that there were those on here who sought to partially excuse the murder of MP Jo Cox on the grounds that Thomas Mair was a "lone nutter". Well, yesterday came confirmation that this opinion was half right - it seems that Mair did act alone, but the British legal system and the jury that had to consider his actions that day decided that he was sane enough to be held responsible for his actions.

During the referendum campaign, it became too easy to brand those who were going to vote leave as racists (I did it occasionally myself). This was wrong, but I strongly believe that one of the consequences of Brexit is that things have swung too much the other way now.

The seventeen and a half million who voted leave were certainly not all racists, but, in my opinion, enough of them were to make all of the difference to the result.

Obviously, Mair is a very extreme version of the sort of person I talk about above, but in a world where there are so many things happening which are source of concern, I worry that the way elections/referendums have been conducted on both sides of the Atlantic in 2016 is leading to a situation whereby holders of ultra racist views, that most of us want no part of, are beginning to feel legitimised.

There is a two fold potential problem with this - the obvious one is that hate crime will increase (and every poll or public consultation I've seen on the subject since the referendum indicates that it is), but there's also the question of how will those with extreme views on the immigration issue react when, as will inevitably happen, both the Brexit negotiators and Donald Trump are not able to deliver everything that those with extreme views thought they were going to get when the results were confirmed?

Jo Cox was murdered because of her beliefs by a man whose views anyone who classes themselves as a decent human being should find reprehensible, it would be good to see some of those on here who had a problem with admitting this back in the summer do so now.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 24-11-16 at 07:29.

Re: Jo Cox verdict.

Do you think that the UK being involved in bombing and destroying Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya is racist? I do, and it is a racism infinitely worse than that which any of the Brexiteers display.

I know a large number of people that dislike migrants. Of all colour. Race doesn't come into it.

It is a cheap tactic. and shows a lack of ability to actually discuss the migration issue. Resorting to the emotional argument when it isn't called for.

In the autumn statement yesterday Hammond announced the building of 40,000 new houses.

Wow. That'll put a big dent in the 300,000 arriving per year.

Read this garbage: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...language-trump

Then look at the reaction of these morally upstanding nobodies howling racist:

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/co...ee_a_nazi_say/

We are told the US and UK are these hate states..........the people saying this know absolutely nothing of what it is really like to like under a tyrannical ruler.

There are far worse people in power around the world, with a free hand to do what they want.

One comment on reddit I think is correct:

In fact, the word racist has rarely ever been uttered about people on the right, let alone the alt-right. The problem is the left has diluted the word and overused it to the point where fewer and fewer people care

The left have the idea in their heads that they are the only people against racism. It is hilarious. As if simply discussing migration controls is xenophobic. It has gone past the point of discussion with most. Many are like zombies parroting their nothingness. It makes them feel good about themselves in their imaginary world in their heads, so there is that.
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 24-11-16 at 09:32.

Some of the right wing press have managed to leave this case off their front pages somehow.
    The murder in broad daylight of a service mp as an act of political terrorism?

If it had been a Muslim terrorist who had killed a ukip mep for example the press coverage would have been staggering.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Some of the right wing press have managed to leave this case off their front pages somehow.
    The murder in broad daylight of a service mp as an act of political terrorism?

If it had been a Muslim terrorist who had killed a ukip mep for example the press coverage would have been staggering.
    Where do you get that information from?. That every right wing paper didn't cover it prominently.

It doesn't get the traction of muslim terrorism because there isn't a further threat. This man really was a loner. And he'll die in his cell and so will his ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Where do you get that information from?. That every right wing paper didn't cover it prominently.

It doesn't get the traction of muslim terrorism because there isn't a further threat. This man really was a loner. And he'll die in his cell and so will his ideas.
    While it would be lovely to think that there is no further threat, unfortunately there are white supremacist groups in the UK. He may not have been linked with any - the reports and intelligence say he wasn't but then he didn't say a word during his trial - but with any high profile crime there is a good chance of copycat crimes in future.

The Britain First marches might be sparse, but his ideas will not die with him in his cell.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    While it would be lovely to think that there is no further threat, unfortunately there are white supremacist groups in the UK. He may not have been linked with any - the reports and intelligence say he wasn't but then he didn't say a word during his trial - but with any high profile crime there is a good chance of copycat crimes in future.

The Britain First marches might be sparse, but his ideas will not die with him in his cell.
    An idea doesn't hurt anyone.

I doubt many Britain first members are ok with killing for their cause, let alone a British mother.

Whereas Islamic terrorism is a bit different currently.

" high profile crime there is a good chance of copycat crimes in future."

I really don't think that is the case.

They aren't his ideas.

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/pix/...er-montage.jpg

And it certainly won't die with him. If anything, people with his ideas are feeling more empowered than at any time in the last 50 years.

You see copycat crimes with school shootings in the US. It's a very well known phenomenon.

But let's hope you're right.

If you look at today's papers, most have it on the front page, pretty understandable a terrorist convicted of murdering a serving mp for their political beliefs.

On the daily mail however it does not appear anywhere on he front page.
    It doesn't get the traction of Muslim terrorism because the uk press is institutionally racist.
    Right wing extremists uobthe vast majority of people being investigated under terrorism powers in the uk today, but they receive a fraction of the attention

If you look at today's papers, most have it on the front page, pretty understandable a terrorist convicted of murdering a serving mp for their political beliefs.

It doesn't get the traction of Muslim terrorism because the uk press is institutionally racist.
    Right wing extremists uobthe vast majority of people being investigated under terrorism powers in the uk today, but they receive a fraction of the attention
    Nope.

Islamic terrorism is far more of a threat to us.

Which is why it gets coverage.

It was the daily mail online headline all throughout the court releases.

Nope.

Islamic terrorism is far more of a threat to us.

Which is why it gets coverage.

It was the daily mail online headline all throughout the court releases.
    Diabetes and heart disease is more of a threat to us than any terrorist. It's quite naive if you think that's how it works.

Got any information on that?.

And ask yourself why that is.

Because faux outrage is created to protect all things foreign. Like you've just done.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Diabetes and heart disease is more of a threat to us than any terrorist. It's quite naive if you think that's how it works.
    Well then lets call it a day and have rolling coverage of pneumonia.

This is the Mail online's take.
    Just when you don't think the Mail can sink any lower.
    Must have been her fault eh..

CyBrtDRXcAA78CG.jpg

The mail is awful and so is the Express etc.

Newspaper sales are plummeting. Which is why they are so desperate, living off division as it will increase sales.

I'm not sure why people think their opinion is the opinion of millions. The highest circulation is the Sun. With under 2 million sales. And dropping.

I know a few Mail readers and they are the most run of the mill people you'll meet.

The worst aspect of this murder was how it was hijacked by the remain campaign. People were made to feel guilty for wanting Brexit and I even heard labour MPs say "All Jo would have wanted was us to stay in the EU". It was infuriating, thankfully Batley and Spen voted leave to the horror of the metropolitan elites. The government, her husband and the remain campaign deliberately tried to paint her murder as a Brexit inspired murder, deliberately trying to paint all those who want to leave the EU as racist scumbags.

That is Jo Coxs legacy, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird since 1948 View Post
    The worst aspect of this murder was how it was hijacked by the remain campaign. People were made to feel guilty for wanting Brexit and I even heard labour MPs say "All Jo would have wanted was us to stay in the EU". It was infuriating, thankfully Batley and Spen voted leave to the horror of the metropolitan elites. The government, her husband and the remain campaign deliberately tried to paint her murder as a Brexit inspired murder, deliberately trying to paint all those who want to leave the EU as racist scumbags.

The worst part of the murder was the murder of a wife and mother.

I don't think this was hijacked by the remain side at all, the people who seemed to bring it up the most were brexit people complaining that it was going to be used against brexit, which didn't happen.
    Predominantly though it was treated with respect and was absent from the majority of campaigning

Wow.

The worst part of the murder was the murder of a wife and mother.

I don't think this was hijacked by the remain side at all, the people who seemed to bring it up the most were brexit people complaining that it was going to be used against brexit, which didn't happen.
    Predominantly though it was treated with respect and was absent from the majority of campaigning
    What are you basing that on? Twitter? Social media?. Or are you just imaging what happened as you browse your memory, as loads are doing.

The generalising to defend peoples side is so boring. Everyone is doing it. Just turn any argument on its head and say Leave were doing it more.

There is no remain or leave side really. We are all individuals separate from the official campaigns. The leave campaign didn't speak for me as a leave voter. Not at all. And these "brexit people" you talk of are meaningless to me.

The BBC and BBC radio were questioning whether it would have a huge affect on the outcome of the referendum. People in my real life were saying it was basically over after the tragedy.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-eu-referendum

There are more articles but I can't be bothered to link them.
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 24-11-16 at 15:36.

I know a large number of people that dislike migrants. Of all colour. Race doesn't come into it.

It is a cheap tactic. and shows a lack of ability to actually discuss the migration issue. Resorting to the emotional argument when it isn't called for.
    How can you discuss migration with somebody who openly admits to disliking all migrants? They absolutely aren't going to be willing to accept the existence of positive impacts of migration.

Mad or Bad is a very difficult line to draw.

Jo Cox's legacy will more likely be remembered as someone who served her community well and died at the hands of a racist arsehole.
    The worst aspect of her murder was the fact that she was stabbed and shot in cold blood not some nonsense about it being used by those who were in the Remain campaign.
    What exactly do you mean when you keep regurgitating the line about 'Metropolitan elites' ?
    Can you actually explain or was it something you read in the Daily Mail?

Channel 4 news interviewed a Trump supporter yesterday or the day before (with a massive delay) but asked akin to whether Trump's victory promoted events such as the Heil Trump video which was doing the rounds. The Trump supporter argued that there were a relatively small percentage and that they were probably doing these sorts of things before Trump ran for office. I thought it was a fairly good response to chasing the line of argument, however Brexit and Trump has given power to elites attacking other elites for their elitism and racists also.

I read one of my more informed friends (though perhaps just in quoting an article) say that this was the first time in a quarter of a century that a sitting MP has been murdered and yet the Mail has it on page 29/30.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Mad or Bad (or dangerous to know) is a very difficult line to draw.
    I like to do it with my Byro(n)