+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else agree with FIFA regarding poppy?

Anyone else agree with FIFA regarding poppy?

I do.

It IS political. The proof for which is apparent in the reaction to McClean's refusal to wear it. If I refused to hold a red piece of card at the ccs last week I dread to think what the reaction would have been. I'd have been bullied probably. Did they fight for my freedom to not wear the poppy or disagree with the whole thing ? If I want to commemorate those who died I can go to the cenotaph or to Cilmeri.....or wherever the feck I want...but this shouldn't be foisted upon me. It's alla bit sinister and very political.

Re: Anyone else agree with FIFA regarding poppy?

Oh. And shouldn't all these poppy threads be in the politics section of the board ??

I also don't see why "Support the Home Nations in their bid to wear poppies!" should be displayed on the messageboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I do.

It IS political. The proof for which is apparent in the reaction to McClean's refusal to wear it. If I refused to hold a red piece of card at the ccs last week I dread to think what the reaction would have been. I'd have been bullied probably. Did they fight for my freedom to not wear the poppy or disagree with the whole thing ? If I want to commemorate those who died I can go to the cenotaph or to Cilmeri.....or wherever the feck I want...but this shouldn't be foisted upon me. It's alla bit sinister and very political.
    The FIFA rules state that the wearing of political or religious symbols are not allowed so why are people allowed to wear crucifixes, turbans and hijabs? Just wondering like

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    The FIFA rules state that the wearing of political or religious symbols are not allowed so why are people allowed to wear crucifixes, turbans and hijabs? Just wondering like
    Which football players wear turbans and hijabs ? After brexit (probs before) as well you'd have to be sideways to wear a hijab or turban at a british footbal ground.

If we were forced to sing the lord's prayer before the easter weekend matches that'd be a different matter. Fortunately it doesn't happen, despite the fact many people would get behind it, were it promoted in the media as much as the poppy stuff has.

Oh. And shouldn't all these poppy threads be in the politics section of the board ??

I also don't see why "Support the Home Nations in their bid to wear poppies!" should be displayed on the messageboard.
    Apart from the bit about the Politics thread, I agree with you.

Poppies are not political in any way as you would see if you saw the combined political parties at the Cenotaph.

To me, a Poppy is my way of saying "Thanks boys for giving your life for us , its appreciated".

Which football players wear turbans and hijabs ? After brexit (probs before) as well you'd have to be sideways to wear a hijab or turban at a british footbal ground.

If we were forced to sing the lord's prayer before the easter weekend matches that'd be a different matter. Fortunately it doesn't happen, despite the fact many people would get behind it, were it promoted in the media as much as the poppy stuff has.
    I'm talking about fans, and I dont know if you know but other countries have fans that wear these religious symbols to football grounds are they not breaking the rules? If so why isn't there anything being done about it?

I think you've got a point in that having the freedom to wear a poppy or not. Some people, just read through posts on this board or Facebook for a couple of examples, reckon we should all wear them and have no say in it. Of course that's not having freedom then.

You don't need a poppy to remember the war dead, though I was at a remembrance concert this year where one elderly guy from the military called it an insult if people don't. I think that, through the utter bollocks you read on social media that people are not being given the opportunities to wear poppies, is driving more people to say we have to wear them. It's the same bollocks that says nativity plays are under threat, Happy Holidays is becoming the norm not Merry Christmas (thanks to Coca Cola) etc.

This year I made the decision to wear a white poppy as a symbol of wanting peace. I also gave a donation to the British Legion for them to keep their work going, which ended up being more than I usually would give to a poppy seller. Promoting world peace and an end to wars where men are sent away to their deaths by corrupt politicians (not forgetting also the innocent casualties of war) should be what we're striving for. That should be our big goal. The rest can be entirely optional.

If you consider that conflicts are mainly caused by political (including corporations , cartels and conglomerates influencing a nations foreign policy) or religious differences then perhaps FIFA has a point as football should be free and independent of such ideology.

It is therefore more abhorrent to me that the very same sponsors of the modern game are typically the same warlord paymasters that start or benefit from conflicts around the world in the first place.

I think deep down it is the sick irony in this whole argument which upsets me most.

I wouldn't say that i agree with FIFA, however i have some sympathy with their stance. The poppy is a symbol of war, as we see it in the UK its a symbol of remembrance of the people lost in wars. In the UK its a fairly accepted symbol where there is generally no malice towards.

However FIFA governs world football and not just football in the UK, they govern areas where wars and hostility between waring countries are still ongoing and raw. If we were then to get a match between 2 countries and they then displayed symbols celebrating said wars then trouble may happen because of that. Its easier for FIFA to simply implement a blanket ban.

The countries in the UK flew in the face of that ban, by holding ceremonies on the pitch and wearing the poppy during the game. So in that essence FIFA has to take a hard line against it. However the claims that it was the fans in the stand were at fault are ridiculous.

Aren't national anthems political?

In England's case they've got the double whammy of having "God" in the title, so religious also.

FIFA are right to ban political messages, but it's not like players were wearing swastikas ffs

I do.

The wearing of a Poppy is NOT political. NOT WEARING A POPPY IS POLITICAL!

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    I wouldn't say that i agree with FIFA, however i have some sympathy with their stance. The poppy is a symbol of war, as we see it in the UK its a symbol of remembrance of the people lost in wars. In the UK its a fairly accepted symbol where there is generally no malice towards.

However FIFA governs world football and not just football in the UK, they govern areas where wars and hostility between waring countries are still ongoing and raw. If we were then to get a match between 2 countries and they then displayed symbols celebrating said wars then trouble may happen because of that. Its easier for FIFA to simply implement a blanket ban.

The countries in the UK flew in the face of that ban, by holding ceremonies on the pitch and wearing the poppy during the game. So in that essence FIFA has to take a hard line against it. However the claims that it was the fans in the stand were at fault are ridiculous.
    It's difficult for us to do as we know the history of the poppy and what it represents, but I think you've got a point when you say we need to look at it globally.

While I don't think the poppy should be a political symbol, if this was happening to another country and I saw their PM angrily saying "OUR BOYS" etc then I'd have to conclude that it probably is one (now at least).

And let's be honest with ourselves, as soon as these posts drop off CCMB page 1, most of us will move on very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    It's difficult for us to do as we know the history of the poppy and what it represents, but I think you've got a point when you say we need to look at it globally.

While I don't think the poppy should be a political symbol, if this was happening to another country and I saw their PM angrily saying "OUR BOYS" etc then I'd have to conclude that it probably is one (now at least).

And let's be honest with ourselves, as soon as these posts drop off CCMB page 1, most of us will move on very quickly.
    Its not my place to say what the poppy means, but its obvious it has a clear connection with wars.

We could have a situation for example of Bosnia/Serbia/Croatia wanting to wear a symbol to remember their war dead during a match, say between each other, and there will be many more case globally, where this wouldn't be a respectful remembrance and seen more as a act of provocation.

So what do we want, do we want FIFA to work on a case by case basis, of the UK is ok to act this way, but then another country is not. It opens up a massive can of worms legally, precedent is being set.

All individuals will react strongly to this it will provoke strong feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    New FIFA ruling coming in next year - any Footballer wearing a hijab whilst playing football must not remove it whilst celebrating a goal or they will also get a yellow card - apparently it is being treated as similar to players taking off their shirt. It doesnt apply to turbans though as they would be on the head already and as such not covering the body

Health and safety apparently.
    FANS NOT PLAYERS read the post

got to be a wind up, surely

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Did you think my post re not being allowed to remove hijab when scoring a goal was for real ?
    Yes

None, but the point is Wales are being investigated over supporters wearing poppies.

It's all a mish mash of hot air. The "freedom" that these innocent, confused heroes died for, should enable people of all races and religions to wear what they want, including swastikas, Poppy's, whatever.
    The world is a big enough place for everyone to express their beliefs and opinions.
    The trouble begins when others want to suppress them. If there was a national front march in my street, I would just completely ignore it. As I would if there were other marches for reasons and beliefs that didn't affect me.
    If people tried to force these opinions or beliefs on me, then that would be the time for me to take action.
    If I'm stood next to a blatant racist in a pub, I'd move away. He has his right to those opinions, even if most people disagree. If he started actually abusing somebody, I'd step in and do something. The 2 things are completely seperate..
    Are we going to stop players crossing themselves before they run on to a pitch in the future? Where does it end?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think you've got a point in that having the freedom to wear a poppy or not. Some people, just rear through posts on this board or Facebook for a couple of examples, reckon we should all wear them and have no say in it. Of course that's not having freedom then.

You don't need a poppy to remember the war dead, though I was at a remembrance concert this year where one elderly guy from the military called it an insult if people don't. I think that, through the utter bollocks you read on social media that people are not being given the opportunities to wear poppies, is driving more people to say we have to wear them. It's the same bollocks that says nativity plays are under threat, Happy Holidays is becoming the norm not Merry Christmas (thanks to Coca Cola) etc.

This year I made the decision to wear a white poppy as a symbol of wanting peace. I also gave a donation to the British Legion for them to keep their work going, which ended up being more than I usually would give to a poppy seller. Promoting world peace and an end to wars where men are sent away to their deaths by corrupt politicians (not forgetting also the innocent casualties of war) should be what we're striving for. That should be our big goal. The rest can be entirely optional.
    Well said Eck.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think you've got a point in that having the freedom to wear a poppy or not. Some people, just read through posts on this board or Facebook for a couple of examples, reckon we should all wear them and have no say in it. Of course that's not having freedom then.

You sound to good to be true

It's just laughable.

FIFA, one of the most corrupt organisations around, lecturing people on what they can and can't wear to a football ground.

For pretty much anyone with an ounce of intelligence or common sense the poppy in this country is used as symbol of remembrance to the fallen. No one has to wear it, I myself haven't worn one every year and I wouldn't ever want people to feel like they have to do so.

As said above the rule on political and religious symbols is a joke when you consider fans at every match will wear something that would break that rule.

As usual it's someone being offended on behalf of someone else, did our opponents even complain about it, did anyone watching around the world?

Common sense has to be applied, unfortunately with FIFA that requires ££££.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad as a fish View Post
    The wearing of a Poppy is NOT political. NOT WEARING A POPPY IS POLITICAL!

This pretty much sums it up.

I do.

It IS political. The proof for which is apparent in the reaction to McClean's refusal to wear it.
    wasnt that just a anti british army in NI stand ? ? ?

I never thought of it as political but if you speak to an Irish person you can see why others might see it as one.

Also the war was thought so people didn't have to put up with fascists, which seems to be the direction of some people obsessed with poppy culture.

It should be a quiet token of rememberance not something that's foisted on people. I wear one but I don't get annoyed by people not.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    wasnt that just a anti british army in NI stand ? ? ?
    Thats the way I saw it Matt.