+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will there ever be another music scene?

Re: Will there ever be another music scene?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Listening to what??? Hardly anything new and exciting about is there, and clubs are just a generic farce these days. There is the odd decent one but that's it. The youth of today just stare at there phones and sit at home alone online.....
    Honey G

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird since 1948 View Post
    It still exists today, you've just got older and are no longer part of it. Your parents will have said the same when you were growing up. You see posters for house music events all over the city, I imagine that is where the new music scene is at now.
    House was around 25 to 30 years ago depending where you live, it's not new. The early raves in Cardiff in 1991/2 were amazing, as they were all over. It was a niche market, only those in the know got to go to the best places. Now they just re hash it like they are doing with the early style raves now....

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Let’s face it lads, there’s no use pretending otherwise, the last real “music scene” was in the 60’s. Folk who came after that time seem to have a slightly envious attitude and can’t quite bring themselves to admit that that period was probably unique and therefore never to be repeated.
    Punk, northern soul, prog rock, new romantic, two tone, Brit pop/Madchester etc, raves/club nights etc, hip hop there have been loads in the last 30 years. Naff all for last 10 tho

No chance. Boring generation who's lives

House was around 25 to 30 years ago depending where you live, it's not new. The early raves in Cardiff in 1991/2 were amazing, as they were all over. It was a niche market, only those in the know got to go to the best places. Now they just re hash it like they are doing with the early style raves now....
    It's the same now with gated parties and warehouse parties Goats. You're just too old and out of the loop.

I'm pretty sure Grime is the current "scene"

Punk, northern soul, prog rock, new romantic, two tone, Brit pop/Madchester etc, raves/club nights etc, hip hop there have been loads in the last 30 years. Naff all for last 10 tho
    Britpop was a rip off of the 60s guitar bands it wasn't a new phenomenon.

The Jam and the modcscene that followed early 80s was a rip off of the original mods.

Is House Music that different to Disco?

Most scenes are "rehashes"
    Last edited by CCFC CASUAL; 26-11-16 at 22:40.

Of course a lot of the music is derivative, I suppose that's pretty inevitable as there are other only so many variations possible. But it's not just about the music, it's about all the other stuff that goes with it.
    The thing that got me thinking about it was Lauren Lavernes programme on Friday on BBC4 about pop between 86-96 and remembering what had happened in that relatively short ten year period, particularly the section about house music. The music was just a part of it, clearly a very important part but without the rest of it, it would just have been something else to listen to.

I don't buy the argument that just because you're not nineteen then you don't know what's going on.
    Most music journalists, DJ's, promoters etc are in their twenties and thirties and always have been.

There's been one or two mentions of grime, but from what I've heard grime just seems to be a pretty weak effort that has no associated fashion etc and will be forgotten in a matter of a couple of years.

Is fashion and music linked anymore? I'm not so sure tbh. Fashions change far more regular than musical tastes.

90s fashion is en vogue with the hipsters at the moment I've made a killing selling my old Stone Island, Polo Sport and Giorgio Armani gear lately.

good days indeed

used to travel all over to get to raves, sometimes i would leave my house for work on a friday morning, do 1/2 a day and be away, my mum would see me till Monday after work LOL

wouldnt want to do it now though

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    good days indeed

used to travel all over to get to raves, sometimes i would leave my house for work on a friday morning, do 1/2 a day and be away, my mum would see me till Monday after work LOL

Makes me ill just thinking about a 3 day session now. Ooooof.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    If you just consider punk , Glam rock ,Bowie ,Mods / Ska, Two Tone , Reggae , they all brought huge cultural changes in clothing, attitudes, young peoples collective acceptance of looking different , because of that music , l you just don't see that impact now ,the only headlines are X factor type things, world tours of over aged rocks stars ,cover bands, boy bands , there is the indie scene, but its not as big as those musical moments we have touched on ,where is the big cultural change or impact ,today ?
    It's been bred out of the kids at school, young people today are collectivist globabalists, who probably think it's bad to identify with an inward looking cultural movement.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebirdsover.... View Post
    No chance. Boring generation who's lives
    Don't leave us in suspense!

[QUOTE=Barry Shitpeas;4696970

There's been one or two mentions of grime, but from what I've heard grime just seems to be a pretty weak effort that has no associated fashion etc and will be forgotten in a matter of a couple of years.[/QUOTE]

The same was said about funk at the time. have a listen to SKepta at least he's saying something.
    Listen to Ed Hardy Party where he's knocking the label...I wish he would do Stone Island

Have a listen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkIQoI1_2Rc
    Last edited by Whisperer; 27-11-16 at 09:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Maybe young people are now studying in university as opposed to taking to the streets for a revolution.
    Exactly the type of youngster who should starting the modern revolution .

good days indeed

Yeah Abba and David Essex .... power to the people ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Yeah Abba and David Essex .... power to the people ...
    I am sure i am not as old as you Jimmy

I am sure i am not as old as you Jimmy
    I think you are afair but younger than me.

Its been a long long time since I had the slightest interest in Mickey Mouse.

TRAVIS. It's not because you lied when you were seventeen, it's because you live in Scotland lads.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I think you are afair but younger than me.

Its been a long long time since I had the slightest interest in Mickey Mouse.
    you are on form today :)

you in your 50's ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    Is fashion and music linked anymore? I'm not so sure tbh. Fashions change far more regular than musical tastes.
    I think that's part of the the point the OP is making. Some musical genres had a wider significance in terms of fashion and politics (small P). Hippies, mods, skins, punks, 2 tone, baggy, house... There are obviously musical genres still being born and dying but that more general cultural movement hasn't happened recently. Or perhaps it has and I haven't noticed. But as someone else said above, older people were certainly aware of the above genres because they were more than just a style of music.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    Britpop was a rip off of the 60s guitar bands it wasn't a new phenomenon.

The Jam and the modcscene that followed early 80s was a rip off of the original mods.

Is House Music that different to Disco?

Most scenes are "rehashes"
    I need to be out of the loop. It would wipe me out theses days. I'm partied out and I've done it to death. I'd rather chill out with my young kids anyway like any normal person in there 40's. I look at people who had kids young, missed it all and now go out and try and party with people half their age like right plums
    as for the jam and late 70's mod scene being a re hash if the 60's I'm not so sure. Sure it was a mod revival but the bands were different so were a lot of the clothes. The stone roses and all that came with a new look too, so did the raves.

My take on it is I don't think musicians are as influential as they once were.
    We've got the internet, million and one Tv channels, and also many platforms were people can have a voice. You don't need to be on top of the pops with millions tuning in to see what the latest trends are.
    Popular culture has changed and sadly reality Tv stars and bloggers are just as influential as musicians.

That's my take on the music and fashion, with regards the drink, drugs and partying, what I know is the youth of today are just as bad if not worse than we were back in the 90s.

A shed load of old blokes not wanting to admit to turning into their parents in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    A shed load of old blokes not wanting to admit to turning into their parents in this thread.
    Really ? What is the rebellion music of the modern era ? X factoring ....