+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will there ever be another music scene?

Will there ever be another music scene?

Punk, Prog, New Wave, Ska, Mod, New Romantic, Rockabilly, Glam, Garage, Hip Hop, Baggy, House, Grunge, Britpop etc etc
    Not just the music but the clubs, the clothes, the drink, the drugs, the lifestyle. Is it a thing of the past?

The quality of mainstream music is at an all time low, but there is still plenty of great music about, surely the time is right for something big to come along. It's been years.

Re: Will there ever be another music scene?

Of course there is you've just got old.

Young lads are still living the lifestyle you describe above.

Time stands still for no man.
    Last edited by CCFC CASUAL; 26-11-16 at 00:06.

EDM ? ? ?

I'm the Queen I'm the Queen
    I'm the Queen of the rapping scene

I can see what Barry means and I think he has a point and a valid question.
    For example Punk was a national phenomenon, Raves in fields, as were some of the others mentioned - to a greater or lesser degree.

Now I'm an old guy, and the boys are now young men and not living with us so maybe I know feck all about music 'scenes' (Casual has a point too), but maybe some youth movements are still occurring 'to a lesser degree?

Perhaps they are fleeting and brief, and not very 'deep'.
    'Fleeting and brief and not very deep' being the nature of popular culture - ever and ever more so.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    Of course there is you've just got old.

Young lads are still living the lifestyle you describe above.

Time stands still for no man.
    Listening to what??? Hardly anything new and exciting about is there, and clubs are just a generic farce these days. There is the odd decent one but that's it. The youth of today just stare at there phones and sit at home alone online.....

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Punk, Prog, New Wave, Ska, Mod, New Romantic, Rockabilly, Glam, Garage, Hip Hop, Baggy, House, Grunge, Britpop etc etc
    Not just the music but the clubs, the clothes, the drink, the drugs, the lifestyle. Is it a thing of the past?

The quality of mainstream music is at an all time low, but there is still plenty of great music about, surely the time is right for something big to come along. It's been years.
    Hip hop is still alive, especially the clothes aspect!

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    Hip hop is still alive, especially the clothes aspect!
    On the subject of clothes, what's this business of trying to look 'cool' by wearing metal t shirts all about then?

Somehow I doubt if Bieber or Kardashian have spent much time listening to Kill 'em All.

On the plus side, I'm now a trendsetter (if doing it 30 years ago counts)

The Grime scene is the only thing thats kicking back as far as i can see.....the establishment hate all these bashment clubs that are going on in places like Croydon and Lewisham.

I was a Northern Souler who travelled to wigan with a few bods from Blackwood and Porthcawl back in the day,
    Wales have never been out in front when it comes to underground music scenes it was mostly full of greasers when i was a kid.

I'm an auditor and I've just been 'Stock Taking at Watermans' . Does anyone else's job take them incongruously close to the name of a 1980s music production outfit?

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    I'm an auditor and I've just been 'Stock Taking at Watermans' . Does anyone else's job take them incongruously close to the name of a 1980s music production outfit?
    Pete waterman.....Started out Djing at The Torch in Stoke top N.Soul venue.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Pete waterman.....Started out Djing at The Torch in Stoke top N.Soul venue.
    I once Met Pete on a train, he knows a shed load about music, fair play to the bloke, fairly funny as well

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    I can see what Barry means and I think he has a point and a valid question.
    For example Punk was a national phenomenon, Raves in fields, as were some of the others mentioned - to a greater or lesser degree.

Now I'm an old guy, and the boys are now young men and not living with us so maybe I know feck all about music 'scenes' (Casual has a point too), but maybe some youth movements are still occurring 'to a lesser degree?

Perhaps they are fleeting and brief, and not very 'deep'.
    'Fleeting and brief and not very deep' being the nature of popular culture - ever and ever more so.
    I was thinking the same ,those new styles ,resulting in new fashion , musical approach , rebellions, independence, and behaviors all were significant back in the day, a straight answer to Barrie's question in my opinion is no ,we will not see the like again ..

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    The Grime scene is the only thing thats kicking back as far as i can see.....the establishment hate all these bashment clubs that are going on in places like Croydon and Lewisham.

I was a Northern Souler who travelled to wigan with a few bods from Blackwood and Porthcawl back in the day,
    Wales have never been out in front when it comes to underground music scenes it was mostly full of greasers when i was a kid.
    Hope you haven't given up on the Northern Soul! There are still some great nights around in South Wales playing the 60's classics. Quite a few from Blackwood and Porthcawl way still go to 'em

Here's a night you can't afford to miss

See you on the dancefloor!

DSCF0007.jpgDSCF0007.jpg

It still exists today, you've just got older and are no longer part of it. Your parents will have said the same when you were growing up. You see posters for house music events all over the city, I imagine that is where the new music scene is at now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird since 1948 View Post
    It still exists today, you've just got older and are no longer part of it. Your parents will have said the same when you were growing up. You see posters for house music events all over the city, I imagine that is where the new music scene is at now.
    My parents / neighbours / family were very, very aware about punk.
    Before that, parents would have been very aware about mods, rockers, rock'n'roll, hippies etc etc.
    After that they would have been aware of grunge, hip-hop, gangsta rap - etc.

The point being - parents would have been at least half aware of the existence all those scenes, even if they didn't get it, but feck knows what is going on these days - if anything much at all.

A few House posters doesn't indicate a scene. House has been going for decades.
    I know that Dubstep was popular a while back. But I'd hardly describe that as a social movement - like some of the scenes mentioned above clearly were.

I think it has something to do with how we consume culture now. It is so much more atomised these days. Things go straight to niche and are ghettoised without troubling the mainstream. In the olden days we had more of a shared culture - Top of the Pops was watched by millions of families. So if an artist had an interesting haircut or wore weird clothes it had a big cultural impact. I remember being shocked by the New York Dolls on the Old Grey Whistle Test; and half my school was talking about something as seemingly innocuous as Morrissey waving flowers about on ToTP. You don’t really get those cultural hand-grenades disrupting the mainstream anymore. Plus the mainstream has co-opted 'weird', 'cool' and 'rebel'. Compare, say, an innovator like David Bowie to the faux, by-numbers, weirdness of a Lady Gaga, for instance.

First Team

Almost certainly but if you are older than the target audience or the Daily Mail is not offended by it then it may pass you by.
    That's the problem in getting older I am afraid.

Maybe young people are now studying in university as opposed to taking to the streets for a revolution.

I'm sure there will be, it's just a matter of persuading young people to leave the house.

On the other hand it may never happen, as the era of music scenes is just a 50 year blip in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Hope you haven't given up on the Northern Soul! There are still some great nights around in South Wales playing the 60's classics. Quite a few from Blackwood and Porthcawl way still go to 'em

Here's a night you can't afford to miss

See you on the dance floor!

DSCF0007.jpgDSCF0007.jpg
    It was a brilliant scene back in the 70s but now it looks like a joke to me and it lacks youth.
    it reminds me of those Teddy Boy nights they used to have in Merthyr that was so so dated.

Let’s face it lads, there’s no use pretending otherwise, the last real “music scene” was in the 60’s. Folk who came after that time seem to have a slightly envious attitude and can’t quite bring themselves to admit that that period was probably unique and therefore never to be repeated.

Another problem would be getting the 3WF and MGTOW in the same room

If you just consider punk , Glam rock ,Bowie ,Mods / Ska, Two Tone , Reggae , they all brought huge cultural changes in clothing, attitudes, young peoples collective acceptance of looking different , because of that music , l you just don't see that impact now ,the only headlines are X factor type things, world tours of over aged rocks stars ,cover bands, boy bands , there is the indie scene, but its not as big as those musical moments we have touched on ,where is the big cultural change or impact ,today ?

Feedback

house music is dead. it died years ago. today's efforts are a poor imitation.