+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ben Woodburn

Re: Ben Woodburn

Scoring against us early this year. Good goal.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    But he isn't. He is a good player.

Na

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Doesn't it depend on your parents and how they raise you to think as much as birth place? I have and English girlfriend, lived in England for 12 years and now live abroad. If I had a child I'd still consider them as Welsh as I am. I think it's quite narrow minded to exclude parentage in the whole thing. Especially when you see how enthusiastic Woodburn is to play for Wales.
    My daughters both was born in Bath RUH, my wife is English, now they both will not even accept the English 1/2 of them, both 100 % Welsh if you ask them, Now the oldest has been asked to join the " English Netball Development setup ", we were over the moon, yet on the drive home, first thing she asked me " how will this effect me playing for Wales when i am older ", I told her i would find out, i still havent ( as i am sat home now, i will e.mail them )

Now my wife says it is my influence, but to me, i have been respectful and let them choose, of course i laugh when England lose at anything, but as a proud Welshman, you have to really, personally, i think it is our time watching city play, that has instilled a sense of pride of belonging in them, i dont know though

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    My daughters both was born in Bath RUH, my wife is English, now they both will not even accept the English 1/2 of them, both 100 % Welsh if you ask them, Now the oldest has been asked to join the " English Netball Development setup ", we were over the moon, yet on the drive home, first thing she asked me " how will this effect me playing for Wales when i am older ", I told her i would find out, i still havent ( as i am sat home now, i will e.mail them )

Now my wife says it is my influence, but to me, i have been respectful and let them choose, of course i laugh when England lose at anything, but as a proud Welshman, you have to really, personally, i think it is our time watching city play, that has instilled a sense of pride of belonging in them, i dont know though
    The issue you will have is that the Welsh netball network will have little to no branches in England, so the best thing you can do for their development, is to get them on the English netball development program. Over time they will feel involved in that set-up, which may lead to them choosing England at the end of this.

I dont think you can dismiss a player with a parental link to a country, as the ties are close. I think where the link becomes a bit weak is when it is grand parental. As someone who is a critic of legacy qualifications to the national team, im fine with parental, birth and the 4 year compulsory schooling law.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    The issue you will have is that the Welsh netball network will have little to no branches in England, so the best thing you can do for their development, is to get them on the English netball development program. Over time they will feel involved in that set-up, which may lead to them choosing England at the end of this.

I dont think you can dismiss a player with a parental link to a country, as the ties are close. I think where the link becomes a bit weak is when it is grand parental. As someone who is a critic of legacy qualifications to the national team, im fine with parental, birth and the 4 year compulsory schooling law.
    Football is a lot better than rugby re nationality, 3 years residency is nothing. I'm sure something like 18% of professional rugby players identify themselves as Pacific Islanders, they'd have an amazing side if their players didn't jump ship for the money (I'm not blaming the players here, you can hardly blame a Fijian going for £22k a game as opposed to £400.

I like to think the picture of him celebrating beating England is conclusive evidence that he would pick Wales

And this from the day of the England game and the day before
    Woodburn.jpg

thanks

have you been / are you involved in the Welsh netball Dev program ? ? ? ?

You are right, she will of course join the English Dev setup, though i guess if push came to shove, I am only 90 mins away from Newport ( which i believe the Welsh Use ) though 45 mins is alot closer and easier on a school night

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    thanks

have you been / are you involved in the Welsh netball Dev program ? ? ? ?

You are right, she will of course join the English Dev setup, though i guess if push came to shove, I am only 90 mins away from Newport ( which i believe the Welsh Use ) though 45 mins is alot closer and easier on a school night
    My daughter plays a little bit of netball. At the end you have to go to the place that makes it easier for you. Then cross the bridge about international status when that comes. Its what will feel more natural to the youngster in the end.

That's why i wouldn't have a problem with Woodburn either way.

My daughter plays a little bit of netball. At the end you have to go to the place that makes it easier for you. Then cross the bridge about international status when that comes. Its what will feel more natural to the youngster in the end.

cheers

I only asked as i met a city fan at the Wiltshire country trials who coaches both England and Wales, he was wearing his Welsh top at the time, we were going to discuss this scenario the next week, but he couldnt make it, he did send his apologies via another coach ( or just wanted to avoid me ? ? ? ) , didnt know if it was you

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've often argued that a youngster qualified to play for another country besides Wales should be capped by us as soon as possible even if he wasn't really ready yet for senior international football. In the case of Woodburn though, Klopp feels that he can give him game time in the Premier League, not just the "meaningless" cup tie he scored in last night. Here is someone qualified for Wales who is playing, and scoring, for the team that are currently second in the Premier League and so the question has to be, besides Vokes and Robson-Kanu, who are the Welsh qualified strikers who should keep Woodburn out of the squad for the game in Ireland?
    Agree. He'll be 18 by then and able to get on the Guinness.
    Exciting times for the young fella

Metaphorically and literally.

now welsh youth player gethin jones looking to switch country ?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...jones-12254481

Put him on the bench for the next game and give him a run at the end.Job done.

My mum was English, my dad was welsh , born in a crib , jesus , help what am I

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    My mum was English, my dad was welsh , born in a crib , jesus , help what am I
    Scottish

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Ben Woodburn may not have been born in Wales but he's not one of those who has a dubious passport from a great grandmother, I believe his mother is Welsh and is therefore half Welsh.
    If someone has a Scottish father and an Irish mother but was born and spent his whole life in Wales how Welsh is he?
    A game of three halves perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    If someone has a Scottish father and an Irish mother but was born and spent his whole life in Wales how Welsh is he?
    A game of three halves perhaps.
    All I know mate is that I had a mate who had an Irish mother and a Welsh father and we knew him as half taff so that will do for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPYS DEN View Post
    The ideal thread for Grange town to tell us the boy isn't welcome in the Welsh team.

Snap him up asap Coleman!!!!!
    The 'boy' is welcome to play for Wales if he has Welsh parentage, and 'chooses' to play for Wales rather than England.

I have a problem with English players who only play for Wales because England don't/didn't want them.

You know who I'm talking about! ;)

Reading reports, he only has one Welsh grandparent and that is his only link.
    Fine by me, and if he sees himself as English, amazing, but if 75% of his immediate family are English he might feel the pressure to switch allegiances.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    now welsh youth player gethin jones looking to switch country ?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...jones-12254481
    His twitter pic apparently shows him 70% in Everton strip and 30% in Welsh.

Having seen Scrum V on the weekend and the paper reports since, there is big exposure (and for some fans big desire) for a negative/worrying story.

Woodburn has one Welsh grandparent from Swansea according to the FAW.

Gethin Jones is a Welsh-speaker and always come across as being very proud to be Welsh in his interviews. I would be surprised if he made the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    The 'boy' is welcome to play for Wales if he has Welsh parentage, and 'chooses' to play for Wales rather than England.

I have a problem with English players who only play for Wales because England don't/didn't want them.

You know who I'm talking about! ;)
    One Welsh Grandparent only-so you won't want him?

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Gabalphaville View Post
    Woodburn has one Welsh grandparent from Swansea according to the FAW.

Gethin Jones is a Welsh-speaker and always come across as being very proud to be Welsh in his interviews. I would be surprised if he made the switch.
    You're right Gab about Jones. I really don't think he'll switch. At least not at this this early. He just needs to concentrate on getting first team football somewhere. Right back, or RWB, is one spot in the Welsh team where we really need strong competition. If he can live up to the high hopes the Welsh camp have for him, he could challenge Gunter some day. The lad needs a loan.