+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What is political correctness?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: What is political correctness?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Another recently popular attack from the right and far right is to claim 'anti fascists are the new fascists!'

I've lost count of the number of times that has been trotted out by the EDL wing of ****.

"Cultural Marxism" is another comedy term often trotted out by the lunatic fringe of the political right. I just don't get their weird preoccupation with the Frankfurt School.

There is a good debate to be had about how language is used as social control but it isn't something that is specific to the left or to liberals. Look at how the right used the word "austerity" to con people into thinking it was the duty of those at the bottom of society to bear the brunt of economic failure. And how the concept was reinforced by the right-wing media with articles, for instance, on 'austerity fashion ideas' and 'austerity baking'. Religion has been using words like 'good' and 'evil' for centuries as a way of modifying behaviour and exerting social control - it's nothing new.

Re: What is political correctness?

Quote Originally Posted by Gabalphaville View Post
    "Cultural Marxism" is another comedy term often trotted out by the lunatic fringe of the political right. I just don't get their weird preoccupation with the Frankfurt School.

There is a good debate to be had about how language is used as social control but it isn't something that is specific to the left or to liberals. Look at how the right used the word "austerity" to con people into thinking it was the duty of those at the bottom of society to bear the brunt of economic failure. And how the concept was reinforced by the right-wing media with articles, for instance, on 'austerity fashion ideas' and 'austerity baking'. Religion has been using words like 'good' and 'evil' for centuries as a way of modifying behaviour and exerting social control - it's nothing new.
    Cultural Marxism is more than language.