+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Midlands to Pembroke Dock (Travel Advice)

Midlands to Pembroke Dock (Travel Advice)

I am driving from the Midlands to Pembroke Dock early on friday morning, leaving at around 6.30am. I suspect I will hit rush hour on the M4 at Newport so was wondering if I would be better off taking a different route.

My normal route is ...
    M5 - M50 - A449 to Ross on Wye - A40 to Monmouth, joining the M4 at M24 at about 8.30am to 9am.

I have never gone this way, but would it be better at that time of day?
    M5 - M50 - A449 to Ross on Wye - A40 to Abergavenny - A465 to J43 of the M4.

Thanks in advance...

Re: Midlands to Pembroke Dock (Travel Advice)

If you do go with the m4 route and there is a crash, which there is about every other day, then it will add hours to the journey.

If I were you I would take the latter route.

From Abergavenny take the A48 then the A477 to Pembroke dock 2 minutes difference going the M4 way, but there is no accounting for traffic on either route, hope this helps

Google maps suggests midwales for similar times at that time of day.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/mi...2!8j1480660200

And if you do 95 on the m50, like everyone seems to you could hit the traffic at swansea not newport if you go m4 route

the latter route no contest

Just factor in the dualling works from Abergavenny to Brynmawr. Shouldn't alter your choice but may add 15-20mins to a sat nav calculation if you hit it at that time

Definitely the latter route every time - I use it regularly. I'd advise just checking the traffic situation on the Gilwern to Brynmawr stretch on the day, just in case.

My travel advice is avoid going to Pembroke Dock.

Quote Originally Posted by cantonboy View Post
    I am driving from the Midlands to Pembroke Dock early on friday morning, leaving at around 6.30am. I suspect I will hit rush hour on the M4 at Newport so was wondering if I would be better off taking a different route.

My normal route is ...
    M5 - M50 - A449 to Ross on Wye - A40 to Monmouth, joining the M4 at M24 at about 8.30am to

I have never gone this way, but would it be better at that time of day?
    M5 - M50 - A449 to Ross on Wye - A40 to Abergavenny - A465 to J43 of the M4.

Thanks in advance...
    The council are buggering about by Nash finger post so if you hit it at peak times there are pretty long delays. Frustrating when you think you're nearly home!

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    My travel advice is avoid going to Pembroke Dock.
    This

Although doing this route regularly I always take the heads of the valleys road. JC is also right about the finger post traffic - it's a nightmare if you get caught. You can potentially turn off towards Pembroke (A4075) and take your next right.

Quote Originally Posted by welshyoot View Post
    This

Although doing this route regularly I always take the heads of the valleys road. JC is also right about the finger post traffic - it's a nightmare if you get caught. You can potentially turn off towards Pembroke (A4075) and take your next right.
    Heads of the Valleys road it is, thanks (almost) everyone...
    I have no idea what finger post traffic means, but I assume it is roadworks of some kind? So turning off and turning right at what looks like a lane is the thing to do if I see a load of backed up traffic...

I have no idea what finger post traffic means, but I assume it is roadworks of some kind? So turning off and turning right at what looks like a lane is the thing to do if I see a load of backed up traffic...
    There's a cafe in Pembroke Dock called The Maypole who do an excellent breakfast for £6
    You can thank me after.

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    There's a cafe in Pembroke Dock called The Maypole who do an excellent breakfast for £6
    You can thank me after.
    Indeed there is, but there are also my two sisters who cook a mean breakfast for no cost at all

Banned

I'm currently in my digs in Holyhead, dreading the 5.5 hr drive back to Barry.
    Long and winding , twisting and turning all the way down the a470.

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    I'm currently in my digs in Holyhead, dreading the 5.5 hr drive back to Barry.
    Long and winding , twisting and turning all the way down the a470.
    And (NSASWA), that's just your bollocks in tight underpants, god knows what the traffic will be like.

Sorry, forgot you just visiting. Nash fingerpost a couple of miles East of the Dock. Well known, locally anyway as a traffic black spot.
    Take care and enjoy your Pembs holiday.

watch out for the roadworks at aberstwyth.