+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Richmond Park by-election

Re: Richmond Park by-election

I would also add the the younger voters have probably been exposed to some sort of pro EU propaganda while at school.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Yeah divided but not the kind of whitewash being suggested by BS1948 by any stretch of the imagination. 'Generally speaking the 48% live in areas like Richmond' is clearly rubbish.
    Perhaps I shouldn't have specified individuals but areas. In England and Wales the more middles class, urban areas voted to remain and the poorer post industrial areas voted to leave. Places like Richmond voted to remain whereas places like Romford voted to leave. Both suburbs of London but have very different socio-economic make up. There are the odd exceptions off course but the poorest constituencies voted to leave and the richest to remain.

Just another point for discussion, do any of you agree with me that Brexit is the best thing to ever happen to the Lib Dems? If we had voted to remain what the hell would they be talking about now? Brexit has given them a new burst of life and although I find him frustrating and hopelessly deluded Timmy Farron has really put them back on the political map.

I would consider the poor Labour vote more than just tactical, they have not lost a deposit in that area for quite a while..

Another by election soon.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I would consider the poor Labour vote more than just tactical, they have not lost a deposit in that area for quite a while..

Another by election soon.
    I disagree, there are plenty of reasons for pessimism among Labour supporters (not sure I put myself in that category these days) currently, but a lost deposit at Richmond under the circumstances of this particular by election is one of them.

Re: Re-run of Richmond Park by-election apparently

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Watch ALL of this. If you want to see the UTTER hypocrisy of a Lib Dem remain supporter - then here it is. In under 4 minutes the new MP completely and utterly shows herself for what she is
    Very, very inexperienced. Zach Goldsmith would have been able to accommodate the difficult question far better but then he ran a hateful campaign to become mayor and didn't represent the majority of his constituency in the referendum.

The Leave Campaign's defence seems to be that the Remain Campaign set out what Leave would mean and thus Leave vote was informed and the process and negotiations do not need to be commented on further.

I just don't think this washes. The Leave campaign stated time and again that the remain campaign's proposal for leaving was "project fear", as leaving went from being a serious hit to our economy to the start of WWIII, and that they wouldn't comment on which trade agreement would be modeled upon because the UK would have "The British Model". Yanis Varoufakis stated that there was no precedent for the UK leaving the EU and yet still no one asked how the varied response to "why do you want leave?" would build into a negotiating platform or the process for building that platform in the first place. I don't think you can use the range of possible consequences as stated by the opposing argument as justification for not having your own set out idea during the referendum and seemingly still not having one today. Beyond "Brexit means Brexit" of course.

How many voted for a "hard brexit"? Even if it is the majority of teh majority then that could still be the minority of the country. This government has the difficult position of speaking for 100% of those who voted (and those who didn't or couldn't) but there seems to be a real risk that they intend to only speak to those who favoured a UKIP version of Brexit....except UKIP MEP's are saying the government looks as if it intends to go too far right.

This has been a referendum of double think where politicians became friends with traditional enemies, MP's opinions changed (or voices raised/lowered) based on what they thought would put them into the best position in the long run and reasons for voting out of the EU (unrestricted control etc.) was spoken out against in the Scottish referendum, for in the UK referendum and now against again in the aftermath (British courts for British law seems now to be British courts are filled with pro-EU Brits and therefore cannot be trusted). The Lib Dems position is not the only example of double think so this radio interview should not be damning to their position, although it still needs thinking upon.

I don't know if anything can be done for this decision, but in any future referendum decisions someone must ask (and be answered) about how the country will come back together and if needs be the process for deciding how the decision will be made and what that process should lead to.

The Leave campaign was ultimately that the end of the leave process the UK would be in a stronger position than if it stayed in and the majority agreed with that, for one reason or another. But we always needed to go through a process to get there and this time-consuming debate is part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I disagree, there are plenty of reasons for pessimism among Labour supporters (not sure I put myself in that category these days) currently, but a lost deposit at Richmond under the circumstances of this particular by election is one of them.
    Labour got less votes in Richmond than they have members there

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird since 1948 View Post
    Perhaps I shouldn't have specified individuals but areas. In England and Wales the more middles class, urban areas voted to remain and the poorer post industrial areas voted to leave. Places like Richmond voted to remain whereas places like Romford voted to leave. Both suburbs of London but have very different socio-economic make up. There are the odd exceptions off course but the poorest constituencies voted to leave and the richest to remain.

Just another point for discussion, do any of you agree with me that Brexit is the best thing to ever happen to the Lib Dems? If we had voted to remain what the hell would they be talking about now? Brexit has given them a new burst of life and although I find him frustrating and hopelessly deluded Timmy Farron has really put them back on the political map.
    You are still missing the point though. I have said all along has been that even in really strong leave/remain areas, 30% of people have voted the other way.

Yes the Lib Dems have been given an open goal really. Labour cant touch it because their potential vote is so split between leave/remain. Tories become the party of Hard Brexit, Lib Dems become the party of 'Remain', UKIP moan about the government and Labour hide in the middle somewhere trying not to upset people.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy31 View Post
    Labour got less votes in Richmond than they have members there
    Now that does take some doing ,not even all there members bothered to vote ,priceless and bizarre , the last election saw them poll about 7,500 so quite a dip ,need Jon Snow and his swingometer to see what this means .

Next comes Sleaford

2015 Result :
    Conservative Stephen Phillips 34,805
    Labour Jason Pandya-Wood 10,690
    UKIP Steven Hopkins 9,716
    Liberal Democrat Matthew Holden 3,500
    Lincolnshire Independents Marianne Overton 3,233

Now that does take some doing ,not even all there members bothered to vote ,priceless and bizarre , the last election saw them poll about 7,500 so quite a dip ,need Jon Snow and his swingometer to see what this means .

Next comes Sleaford

2015 Result :
    Conservative Stephen Phillips 34,805
    Labour Jason Pandya-Wood 10,690
    UKIP Steven Hopkins 9,716
    Liberal Democrat Matthew Holden 3,500
    Lincolnshire Independents Marianne Overton 3,233
    This one is interesting. Cons will win but would be good to see how the UKIP vote holds up. Let's see if the LD resurgence can be replicated in leave voting areas, whether they can hoover up the middle class liberal remain vote ahead of Labour. LDs aren't going to win here but a strong increase in their vote will be a far more positive sign for them than winning Richmond. Beating Labour into fourth would be a great result for them and spell disaster for Corbyn.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    I would have a guess the Tories vote wont be affected and will probably increase by taking some of the UKIP vote.
    Conversely I think a lot of the Labour vote will transfer to UKIP.
    Lib Dems and Lab to to the hit
    I fancy the result something like :

Conservative 20,000
    UKIP 18,000
    Liberals 7,500
    Labour 5,000

I fancy the result something like :

Conservative 20,000
    UKIP 18,000
    Liberals 7,500
    Labour 5,000
    Better to do make predictions with percentages rather than number of votes. Turnout will be low.

Green Party denies taking £250,000 'bribe' in return for supporting Lib Dems in Richmond Park by-election

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7458871.html

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I remember the spelling Nazis on here when I called him a raging xylophone.
    Did he strike a wrong chord?