+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Online Privacy: A thing of the past

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Online Privacy: A thing of the past

No, I said it wasn't perfect and I'd be a fool to say so.

of course data can be hacked or misused. And given the expanded number of agencies who will be allowed access to this material I have no doubt that some, like the Council who misused RIPA to follow parents to see if they lied on their applications for school places for their children, will do something similar. But, like that Council, they wil be picked up on it.

I was trying to make the point that this act is not an invitation to what is it 43 agencies to sit down and start browsing quite literally billions of website accesses or phone calls or text messages or emails per week, if not daily just to see if they can find someone who'se being naughty or they want to stitch someone up for the fun of it.

Re: Online Privacy: A thing of the past

Quote Originally Posted by whofan View Post
    No, I said it wasn't perfect and I'd be a fool to say so.

of course data can be hacked or misused. And given the expanded number of agencies who will be allowed access to this material I have no doubt that some, like the Council who misused RIPA to follow parents to see if they lied on their applications for school places for their children, will do something similar. But, like that Council, they wil be picked up on it.

I was trying to make the point that this act is not an invitation to what is it 43 agencies to sit down and start browsing quite literally billions of website accesses or phone calls or text messages or emails per week, if not daily just to see if they can find someone who'se being naughty or they want to stitch someone up for the fun of it.
    You seem to be able to compose a point of view clearly, so will have no difficulty in understanding that despite the potential for good in this unwanted surveillance there is not the slightest doubt that it will hinder freedom of speech and action simply by its presence. Lots of people died to give us this right, and this law is the continuation of taking that right away in my opinion.

Who is to say that what is considered acceptable behaviour now - and which is being recorded forever - will at some stage in the future not be considered subversive or socially unacceptable and used to show just cause for some form of punishment?

Everything is capable of being taken out of context if a need requires it, and I'd prefer not to have my life defined and recorded by people I do not know.