+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Yet another game without a goal for the home crowd, but still a definite step in the right direction.

Yet another game without a goal for the home crowd, but still a definite step in the right direction.

Re: Yet another game without a goal for the home crowd, but still a definite step in the right direction.

Commented exactly the same about Whitts. 2 quality long balls apart ( one of which actually ended up in touch- but not really his fault), his passing was poor. Not helped by a lack of options.

However his work rate was excellent and he made a few tackles and for once his booking was a worthwhile one and not just due to his laziness in tracking back.
    He's on his 4th booking now, so we might have another look at playing without him soon

I actually thought Ralls was even better with his workrate- noting him as the furthest midfielder up 5 minutes form the end then making up 70 yards to get back and defend when the attack broke down.

I think he needs to shave his hair off so that he stands out physically as I think seems lots of what he does goes unnoticed.

Best midfielder today though- as he has been a lot since NW arrival- was Gunnar.
    Some great work to get his shot off and effective in breaking up several dangerous attacks.

Re: Yet another game without a goal for the home crowd, but still a definite step in the right direction.

I thought Whittingham and Ralls were poor yesterday.Never at anytime during the game were we in control of midfield.Fortunately Brighton had a poor day at the office and used the long ball far more than was necessary.I don't know what O'Keefe has done but we could certainly do with his industry and bite.
    For me Bamba,Gunnarson,Harris and Hoilett were our stand out players-the back four as a unit did well although a couple of individual mistakes by Bennett and Connolly could have been costly.
    As a spectacle it was dire but I was happy with the point.

The whole team were exceptional yesterday (I said we would lose 3-1), played as a unit and "OUR NEIL" and the players should take a lot of heart from keeping a clean sheet.

From small acorns and all that.

Admittedly Whitts wasn't at his best yesterday but the bloke in the row behind me wanted him hung drawn and quartered from his first touch of the game. We don't half have some muppets that call themselves supporters following us aye.
    I was very happy with a point and a clean sheet . Well done City.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Admittedly Whitts wasn't at his best yesterday but the bloke in the row behind me wanted him hung drawn and quartered from his first touch of the game. We don't half have some muppets that call themselves supporters following us aye.
    I was very happy with a point and a clean sheet . Well done City.
    Was that Loud Allan ?

He's had it in for Whitts since the lad arrived

Ugly points against top sides home and away are very welcome to our survival hopes.

We've passed the deadline for 5 yellow cards meaning a suspension. It's 30th November in the Football League and end of December in the Premier League.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    We've passed the deadline for 5 yellow cards meaning a suspension. It's 30th November in the Football League and end of December in the Premier League.
    Cheers for the info

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    An excellent write-up considering the quality of the game, respect to you for that. Whitts seems to have been told to play with more urgency, on and off the ball. I've got no problem with that but it seemed to take him out of his comfort zone yesterday, he was in such a rush to get rid of the ball he even played a few (terrible) passes with his right foot. It'll be interesting to see if he can settle into a more high-energy game.

Good to see us leaving two men up when Brighton had corners, Malky will be turning in his metaphorical grave. It was also a good bit of management to switch the wingers in the second half, rather than just bringing Noone on for Harris which I'd expected. Harris grew in confidence after the switch while Bong seemed to get a bit spooked by Hoilett for some reason and his game fell away.

It's still not what I was expecting from Warnock but its not the same game every time like it was with Slade and Trollope, you can see there's some thought going into it and it did feel like a step in the right direction, like you say.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Re. Whittingham and Ralls, the litmus test is would either of these two get into any other Championship side, and I think the answer is no. Whittingham - even at his best- could never maintain performances week in ,week out, and on Saturday he just ghosted about the place, often hurried into mistakes. Ralls ? He can't actually create anything - a good pass, a good run, a good shot, because he just doesn't possess the skill to do any of those things. He can only do things with one foot and has to turn around of the ball comes to his weaker side. What he can do is work hard, put in challenges and tackles, but we have a lot of players that can do that.

A lot of talk about lack of quality strikers in the squad. How about making the openings first..

Entertaining read.
    I suspect Whits automatic selection days are numbered. We know that NW is looking to strengthen. Surely he is not the kind to take to inconsistency nor the notion of 'mercurial'.

Whits himself must know this too.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Re. Whittingham and Ralls, the litmus test is would either of these two get into any other Championship side, and I think the answer is no. Whittingham - even at his best- could never maintain performances week in ,week out, and on Saturday he just ghosted about the place, often hurried into mistakes. Ralls ? He can't actually create anything - a good pass, a good run, a good shot, because he just doesn't possess the skill to do any of those things. He can only do things with one foot and has to turn around of the ball comes to his weaker side. What he can do is work hard, put in challenges and tackles, but we have a lot of players that can do that.

A lot of talk about lack of quality strikers in the squad. How about making the openings first..
    Totally agree

I thought Saturday's performance was very Trollopesque.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I thought Saturday's performance was very Trollopesque.
    I was saying a similar thing during the game. I guess I'm expecting a Warnock team to be nasty and in-your-face but it's all carried on pretty much unchanged on the surface so far.

However, the result certainly wasn't Trollopesque. The recent DVP win featured some excellent counter-attacking football and I think Warnock is trying to move us towards that kind of game. Making Whitts do some work and giving Kadeem Harris a vote of confidence are signs that he wants us to be hard to break down while carrying a genuine threat on the break. We were neither under Trollope. It won't come overnight and obviously we don't carry much of a cutting edge for this style of play at present but Zohore has scored four in his last two games for the DVP team so sometimes a blunt instrument can do the job. I was hoping he'd come on on Saturday but that may have been because I was a bit bored.