+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Frédéric Gounongbe

Frédéric Gounongbe

I noticed a lot of people slating him on here yesterday. (Especially in Croseys thread)

What did he actually do wrong? He was no world beater, granted. But didn't really do much wrong apart from miss one or two headers.

I thought Whittingham was our worst player by far.

Re: Frédéric Gounongbe

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I noticed a lot of people slating him on here yesterday. (Especially in Croseys thread)

What did he actually do wrong? He was no world beater, granted. But didn't really do much wrong apart from miss one or two headers.

You're right on both counts, Fred did alright yesterday, best I've seen him play for us and held the ball up well which we struggled to do when he went off. Whitts had an off day yesterday but it was a well earned point by the team.

The service to Fred is appalling and has been since he arrived, no run in the team , people need to look elsewhere as to why he is not scoring

I think he's looked improved in his last couple of appearances.

Along with Zahore these are 2 of the worst ever strikers to play for city. Fact. They are shite

If he was continually missing chances or not contributing he'd be getting criticism from me but yesterday he was winning headers, winning free kicks to move us up the pitch and his work rate was good. You can't blame the striker if the service to them is poor and the team don't create chances from open play.

I haven't seen a lot of him but four aspects of his play struck me yesterday:

1. He presented no goal threat
    2. He constantly tried to glance on aerial balls - but there was never anyone there.....
    3. His first touch is poor
    4. He doesn't convince as a confident player

Fred is simply not good enough at this level, Whitts had an off day, form is temporary class is permanent

Quote Originally Posted by PerryJason View Post
    Along with Zahore these are 2 of the worst ever strikers to play for city. Fact. They are shite
    Have to agree. We haven't seen many strikers who've offered quite so little in recent years...

Andy Keogh?
    Etien Velikonja?
    Haris Vuckic?
    Warren Feeney?
    Eddie Johnson?

Both are about that calibre, imo.

His mis-timing when he goes up for a header is impeccable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

2. He constantly tried to glance on aerial balls - but there was never anyone there.....
    Other than that he is not up to much.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

He is not and never will be a football player of any note.

Harsh but fair

Re: Idris Saadi ?

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Is Idris Saadi still one of ours ? , he seems to be scoring for fun now he isnt playing for us.

And the 15 minutes he did play for us - he looked sharper than Fred and Zahore combined
    Saadi scored today, 10 for the season now.

No service, to be fair, but he is shite. Maybe Neil will see now that looking good in training doesn't necessarily convert to being good in a real game.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

If Chamakh can't get in (even as an oncoming sub) it makes you wonder what purpose there is to adding him to the squad.
    Surely he must be released in January ?

I really dont say why people can say he did alright, didnt get the service. I focused on him when we were in possestion and out of it, hes about as fast as me, he made no effort to get across and close men down, won nothing in the air all day, he held the ball up a few times and that is it. no where near the level of striker we need to get us up the leave, give Chamakh a game ffs.

Anyone who went to Villa will also know that Freddie has his chances to score there, one with a 5 yard header that was as soft as shit.

He's just like Zohore, nothing to offer yet we let players like Saadi, Le Fondre and co leave.

Remember the stick Rudy Gestede use to get on here especially about misplaced headers.

Many got that wrong but I think they may be on a safe bet with Fred.No help from anyone though and shocking service all game.

I don't think he's dreadful and I thought he held the ball up well when it came in to him, but the problem is his lack of movement. He is like a statue and his lack of nous as a centre forward stands out a mile.

Thoguht Fred did well on Saturday, as he did when he came on for Ricky against huddersfield. held the ball up well, won a good few flicks ons but agree that the service to him, particurlaly this weekend was poor.

Whittingham had a rare off day and his passing a shooting was all over the place but he put a good shift in, as did the rest of the team and a point against what NW regards as the best team in the league was a very good result in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryJason View Post
    That is QUITE a claim!

We have had some real dross over the years.......

Strikers get far more criticism than other positions as most of what they do has an end result.

Strikers need time.

They only need to do 1 or 2 good things per game.

We've been here time and time again with strikers. In and out of the squad, foreigners criticised after half a season. What do we expect?.

He is 28 mind so he should be at his peak...

Zahore is 22.

This year:

Fred has had 11 appearances. Zahore 3.

Including subs.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPYS DEN View Post
    Remember the stick Rudy Gestede use to get on here especially about misplaced headers.

Many got that wrong but I think they may be on a safe bet with Fred.No help from anyone though and shocking service all game.
    I thought Gestede was an unusual footballer , he used to get opposition defences in a panic for the last ten minutes when he was usually introduced to the frame .Aston Villa gave way over the odds for a fairly limited but different football player.
    I have watched Freddy ,hoping he will show a little spark, something, anything that will give me belief he has what it takes to play football. Unfortunately I havent seen it yet.

For those who remember the 80s I give you Chris Rodon and Paul Bannon (brief loan spells I know but I think it was Rodon who was sent back from his loan early because he was so bad!).

From the 90s John Pearson, 12 games no goals.

There are many more I am sure but can't think of many now.