+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Minutes applause or minutes silence

Minutes applause or minutes silence

Did anyone else notice on Saturday that whilst almost every football ground held a minutes silence for the South American aircrash targedy that wiped out the Chapecoense football team, Leeds United (against Villa) in the later kick off decided to hold a minutes applause?

There seem to be a lot more of these pre-match commemoration events in recent years, whether deaths of former players/managers, international tragedies (like the aircrash or terrorist atrocities - although very selective as to what is chosen) or major historical landmarks like Armistice Day. Sometimes it is to mark an event affecting the 'football family' but at other times the reasons are less clear.

However, if the decision is made (by the league or individual clubs or some other unseen process) to mark a tragic event it seems very odd to me that it should be done by applause. Fair enough to remember a life well lived for someone who has died of old age and we are all asked to remember their achievements with fondness. But the aircrash was a traumatic and terrible event that has sent not just a town but a country into mourning.

I think Leeds got it totally wrong. Steve Bruce was standing on the sidelines rubbing his hands together in a poor impression of clapping and looking completely embarrassed.

Re: Minutes applause or minutes silence

In is quite annoying that when a silence has been agreed, some people decide to take it upon themselves to begin clapping.

Then everyone has as to do it as it would come across as stupid.

How hard is it to be silent for a minute.

A minutes applause really is not as good as a completely silent ground.

It's a tricky one, on the death of George Best, I think applause was appropriate as it marked appreciation of his career, other times, (eg Aberfan) silence is more appropriate.

The silence at our game was observed impeccably, but I do feel that sometimes there is a concern that some football fans can't be trusted to observe a silence, which is sad.

I think applause is becoming more common as football fans can't be trusted not to ruin it. Perhaps it says a lot that they decided that some Leeds fans might fall into that category.

Yep, I think the big issue here is mainly when there are large followings of away fans, who are by nature pretty intoxicated by kick off, can't be trusted to stay completely silent. I remeber a minutes silence for armistice day largely ruined by Leeds fans at the CCS one year when a few idiots were making some noise which then snowballs when people try shushing them etc.

Even our minutes silence this year had a few noises in the background when Sheffield W (or was it H'field) fans were making some distant noises down on the concourse, probably too drunk to realise what was going on.

There are times when a minutes applause isn't appropriate, Remeberence Day & Aberfan of course and also in the case of sudden tragedies like the plane crash but sometimes i prefer a minutes applause for the celebration of someone's life as opposed to mourning, simply because you don't have to worry about a handful of drunks keeping quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    It's a tricky one, on the death of George Best, I think applause was appropriate as it marked appreciation of his career, other times, (eg Aberfan) silence is more appropriate.

The silence at our game was observed impeccably, but I do feel that sometimes there is a concern that some football fans can't be trusted to observe a silence, which is sad.
    Spot on

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I think applause is becoming more common as football fans can't be trusted not to ruin it. Perhaps it says a lot that they decided that some Leeds fans might fall into that category.

100% this.

A (inter)national tragedy or remembrance with which both sets of fans can identify is more often marked by a minute's silence, but silence for a long-serving CLUB-RELATED death would likely be ruined by the other fans.
    There was applause at Princess Di's funeral, which I believe set the precedent, then with George Best's death, which introduced it to football grounds.

Whilst silence, if observed properly, is more moving and respectful, the distinction of which method to use seems to have been blurred, if not completely erased.

These minute's applause/silence at football matches to remember someone or some event always reek of insincerity. Fans abide by what someone else decides how they should conduct themselves because they are wary of being ridiculed by some or many of the obedient drones in attendance. In short, it's always about respecting the decision in the prescribed manner. A great many would happily hop on one leg, do the hokey cokey, or attempt synchronised farting for appearance's sake.

A better idea would be to open books of condolences so those that really care can make the effort to locate and sign them. That way they can do away with the mass fake shit.

This is exactly right. A tragedy deserves silence.

Agreed. A minutes applause in remembrance of Aberfan would be wholly inappropriate. The same applies in regard to the Brazilian flight disaster.
    However for someone like Best it's appropriate to applaud.

Silence for remembrance and applause for celebration, although there are probably as many of these moments as there are football "legends" these days.

Far too many of them these days.

Tragic event but do I need to stop for a minute and give them some silent thought? Not really.