+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Excellent article on Billy Boston

Excellent article on Billy Boston

I can't say I've ever heard of him but what a legend he was.
    It pisses me off to think that he was overlooked by Cardiff because of the colour of his skin.
    Thank god we live in a different era these days.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/wales/38206765

Re: Excellent article on Billy Boston

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    It pisses me off to think that he was overlooked by Cardiff because of the colour of his skin.
    I can remember watching him play on Saturday afternoons on the BBC sports programme along with the scrambling etc

As you say how he never played for Cardiff RFC and Wales egg was an absolute disgrace
    Last edited by Llanedeyrnblue; 06-12-16 at 08:53.

I met Billy, his nephew used to work the doors in town and we got to spend some time with Billy when he brought him out for a drink one day.
    On the colour thing, well I've heard different opinions on that, my old man was training with Cardiff at the time and he always said that because they had Jack Matthews that was the reason they didn't need to sign Billy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    Good article that.
    I'd heard his name mentioned on a number occasions in conversation how good the local boy was but didn't appreciate just how much he was loved up north, a bronze statue is impressive.

Channel View leisure centre used to have a function room named after him,thats the only reason i know the name.

Pubs in Wigan are full of his photos

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    I met Billy, his nephew used to work the doors in town and we got to spend some time with Billy when he brought him out for a drink one day.
    On the colour thing, well I've heard different opinions on that, my old man was training with Cardiff at the time and he always said that because they had Jack Matthews that was the reason they didn't need to sign Billy.
    If that was Cardiff's reason how no other local teams of the day wanted him such as say Newport, Glamorgan Wanderers etc is a
    bit of a mystery to me

Yet another legend from tigerbay:)
    I didn't know billy personally, did see him at many funerals but knew his sister pati very well, when we were kids she was a local sweet seller ( from her home) and her toffee dabs and ice jubilees were the best around

He's worshipped in wigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    If that was Cardiff's reason how no other local teams of the day wanted him such as say Newport, Glamorgan Wanderers etc is a
    bit of a mystery to me
    He played for Pontypridd but didn't stay for long.

the guy is a legend in Wigan and in rugby league in general, touted as thier greatest ever play which is quite some going when you consider the legends they have had

571 tries in 562 matches. Fecking incredible when you think about it.

Would his nephew be Mark by any chance?

I remember when I was in Junior school and the Canadian rugby union team were touring Wales (circa '71 I think). Our teacher asked us to cut out any newspaper articles and photos that we could find of the touring Canadian team; the idea was that we were going to make a scrapbook and present it to them at the Angel Hotel ... I brought in a load of colour photos taken from a rugby LEAGUE book that I had at home (goodness knows why I had it), most of those were of Billy Boston in Wigan colours. Needless to say, they weren't included in the scrapbook!

...however, his name stuck with me ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Would his nephew be Mark by any chance?

I remember when I was in Junior school and the Canadian rugby union team were touring Wales (circa '71 I think). Our teacher asked us to cut out any newspaper articles and photos that we could find of the touring Canadian team; the idea was that we were going to make a scrapbook and present it to them at the Angel Hotel ... I brought in a load of colour photos taken from a rugby LEAGUE book that I had at home (goodness knows why I had it), most of those were of Billy Boston in Wigan colours. Needless to say, they weren't included in the scrapbook!

...however, his name stuck with me ever since.
    I can't remember his first name, it was years ago.

The late Clive Sullivan, another winger from Cardiff who went on to do great things in Rugby League, is more my vintage, but I can just about remember Billy Boston. Whether it was the fact Eddie Waring kept on saying he was from Cardiff or whether it was that he was so good I'm not sure, but, apart from Don Fox, whose missed conversion from in front of the posts meant that his Wakefield team lost the Challenge Cup Final to Leeds, he's just about the only name that I can remember in rugby league from that era.

Shocking if it was his colour that stopped Cardiff selecting him, but it does seem odd that he played so few rugby union matches in South Wales - would I be right in thinking that Carl Smith, who played in the back row in the 70s, was the first black player to turn out for Cardiff RFC?

First Team

Apologies as slightly off topic but I came across and bought a book on Amazon recently all about Cardiff Sporting Legends. I was actually looking for a book on the social history of the city but this popped up as an alternative. Boston features as do many other greats and much lesser known but in their own way influential. Well worth purchasing imho

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Apologies as slightly off topic but I came across and bought a book on Amazon recently all about Cardiff Sporting Legends. I was actually looking for a book on the social history of the city but this popped up as an alternative. Boston features as do many other greats and much lesser known but in their own way influential. Well worth purchasing imho
    What's it called Major?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    What's it called Major?
    Was it Cardiff Sporting Greats?
    Last edited by Llanedeyrnblue; 06-12-16 at 13:55.

The late Clive Sullivan, another winger from Cardiff who went on to do great things in Rugby League, is more my vintage, but I can just about remember Billy Boston. Whether it was the fact Eddie Waring kept on saying he was from Cardiff or whether it was that he was so good I'm not sure, but, apart from Don Fox, whose missed conversion from in front of the posts meant that his Wakefield team lost the Challenge Cup Final to Leeds, he's just about the only name that I can remember in rugby league from that era.

Shocking if it was his colour that stopped Cardiff selecting him, but it does seem odd that he played so few rugby union matches in South Wales - would I be right in thinking that Carl Smith, who played in the back row in the 70s, was the first black player to turn out for Cardiff RFC?
    E

Clive Sullivan is another one virtually ignored by his home town. I belive they named a road after him in Hull. Think he's Nathan Blakes uncle as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    E

Clive Sullivan is another one virtually ignored by his home town. I belive they named a road after him in Hull. Think he's Nathan Blakes uncle as well?
    http://www.hullwebs.co.uk/content/l-...e-sullivan.htm

Don Fox, whose missed conversion from in front of the posts meant that his Wakefield team lost the Challenge Cup Final to Leeds, he's just about the only name that I can remember in rugby league from that era.
    George Fairbairn I remember from the Rugby League on BBC Saturday afternoons.
    Big Jim Mills was another...right hard b*stard he was.
    I do seem to remember, if i am not mistaken, the latter was a Welshman too.
    Oh and another just popped into my head.. Green Vigo who, like Boston, I'm sure was of mixed race.

Amazing what pops into your head from all those years ago and you can't remember last week!

Yes Jim Mills was from Aberdare, giant of a man in that era, 6ft 4in and 18 stone

First Team

What's it called Major?
    Cardiff Sporting Greats by Andrew Hignell and Gwyn Prescott.

Yes Jim Mills was from Aberdare, giant of a man in that era, 6ft 4in and 18 stone
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6N8ouRsfos

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Cardiff Sporting Greats by Andrew Hignell and Gwyn Prescott.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    George Fairbairn I remember from the Rugby League on BBC Saturday afternoons.
    Big Jim Mills was another...right hard b*stard he was.
    I do seem to remember, if i am not mistaken, the latter was a Welshman too.
    Oh and another just popped into my head.. Green Vigo who, like Boston, I'm sure was of mixed race.

Amazing what pops into your head from all those years ago and you can't remember last week!
    Green Vigo, I remember him now you mention it - how could I have forgotten a name like that?

A few others spring to mind now, Bev Risman I think it was, Sid Hines (who I believe got sent off in a Final at Wembley) and there was a hooker at Widnes I remember - name of Elwell, I think his first name was Keith, but I', mot sure because Eddie Waring always called him "the ubiquitos Elwell".

There was also David Watkins at Salford of course, they used to think the world of him up there.