+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has Warnock really improved us?

Banned

Re: Has Warnock really improved us?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    No they don't. Check them.

While you're at it, can you explain Leicester's success without possession, or Wigan's utter failure with lots of it, or are you going to ignore this because it doesn't suit your agenda?
    Yes they do. Check them.

Anyone with an ounce of sense will realise Leicester winning the league with that possession percentage was a one off. Have a look at the last ten winners of the Prem and their percentages then come back you clown. Or are you going to ignore that because it don't suit YOUR agenda?

To get back to the main thread i doubt warnock will take us much further than safety if he too has to perticipate in the pantomime that is ccfc transfer committee!!!!
    After all it has been an embarrassing disaster

Burnley won The Championship last season with equal 17th highest possession stats.
    Last edited by Baloo; 07-12-16 at 19:21.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If we're looking purely at first team results, then you might have a point. With one exception, Warnock's team have not produced anything that could be called entertaining yet, but he's got the excuse that he inherited a team in the bottom three that was shaping up for a season long battle against the drop - what was Slade's excuse for the boring football his sides produced for two seasons? I say one exception because the Huddersfield match was a good game of football that was only equalled during Slade's time by the match with Brighton where I'm still trying to work out which of the two teams had been nobbled - maybe they both were?

Let's face it, Slade never did anything to suggest that he was interested in what was happening below first team level, whereas Warnock is attempting to shake up an Academy/Development team system which stagnated so much under our Russell. Also, Warnock's only been here about seven weeks and he's already met fans at Cardiff City Stadium, Pontypridd and Maesteg as well as paying a goodwill visit to that a company near Merthyr I believe it was, he's putting Slade (who, as far as I can recall, had just the one meeting with fans in two years) to shame in that department.

Don't judge all Slade critics by the same standards, I was supportive of him when he first arrived and defended him against those who, wrongly in my view, were against him from day one, but, after about six weeks or so, it became clear that all he could offer was a holding operation.

If a manager was only assessed on first team results, then Slade could be said to have done a decent job in testing circumstances, but there's more to it than that and he was either out of his depth or wasn't bothered about things like youth development (he's the worst Cardiff manager I've seen as far as that goes) or being an ambassador for the club - put that together with a transfer record which was mixed at best and it's clear that Warnock is as much in a different league to Slade as the two men's managerial record would suggest.
    Best performance under Slade was Wolves away

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Burnley won The Championship last season with equal 17th highest possession stats.
    Because possession stats really are only a small part of the story.
    Look at the away game at Forest. We had far far more decent chances yet only 30%. of possession.

Stats often used by people to back up spurious claims and this is a clear case of that

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Because possession stats really are only a small part of the story.
    Look at the away game at Forest. We had far far more decent chances yet only 30%. of possession.

Stats often used by people to back up spurious claims and this is a clear case of that

* this - being Tandys sudden obsession with possession stats

I feel a lot more confident going forward, in an attacking sense, with NW than with Slade or PT.

Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    ERic - it doesnt matter about stats - the only stat at the moment that matters is - did we win or draw. At the moment I dont think care about passing stats, shots, possession etc.

Watford used to have a terrible possession rate as well as passing rate - mainly because they lumped it from the back for the tall guy to head down for someone to score - 3 touches, 3 passes. Their stats would look terrible on paper - but if they keep winning no - and I mean no one will care.

I guess there are stats, stats and damn lies to coin a phrase
    Absolutely right! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Yes they do. Check them.

Anyone with an ounce of sense will realise Leicester winning the league with that possession percentage was a one off. Have a look at the last ten winners of the Prem and their percentages then come back you clown. Or are you going to ignore that because it don't suit YOUR agenda?
    Stop being an arse. Not one person in this thread thinks you are talking sense.

I'll ask again. Last season Cardiff City's possession stats under Slade were ranked 14th. We finished 8th. Above Cardiff in the possession table were Brentford, Wolves, Fulham, MK Dons, Leeds, Reading and Huddersfield. 7 teams that had more possession than us but finished below us in the table. Should they have finished above us?

What is maybe interesting is that Fulham, Reading and Huddersfield had far better possession stats last season than their league position warranted (according to your reckoning). This season they are now top half teams instead of being close to relegation.

On the opposite side, Ipswich, Cardiff, QPR, Birmingham and Preston all had better league finishes than their possession stats warranted (according to your reckoning). This season, all of those, bar Birmingham, are now bottom half teams that are struggling.

If possession is such an important thing, then those teams that had good possession stats last season have reaped the benefit, while those with poor possession stats have had the opposite and seen their sides plummet.

Given all the above, the importance of possession etc, then the rot with Cardiff City was undoubtedly set last season. I wonder who was manager then?

Has Colin improved our style of play

Has Colin improved our squad

Has Colin improved our goal scoring

Has Colin improved our under 18/23 set up

Has Colin improved our attendance

Has Colin improved our chance of survival

I'd have to say there is very little improvement if any. We have taken 4 points from the last 5 games and 3 of the games were home.
    On that sort of form we are screwed.
    Style of play is subjective of course, but in my opinion we have more purpose going forward and are more of a goal threat nowadays and that, in my opinion is an improved style of play

Yes he has, the acquisitions of Bamba and Hoilett have improved the squad massively

Yes, under Trollope we scored 0.72 goals per game, under Warnock we've scored 1.25 goals per game

He's been here 7 weeks so I don't think we judge whether or not he's improved the youth setup, although the interest he is taking in it is positive and a step in the right direction

Yes. Average attendance under Trollope was 15,132, under Warnock it is 17,346

Yes, under Trollope I was quite concerned about the prospect of relegation, now less so

He's only trying to look clever, but he just makes more of an arse of himself.

Be careful what you say - his wife may be watching!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...nted-feet.html

Best performance under Slade was Wolves away
    I disagree, Wolves only managed seven home wins all last season and had only won four out of fourteen when we played up there - we played well, but benefited greatly from two of the sort of shoots from Craig Noone that have been flying into the stands for the last three seasons actually finding the net.

By contrast, Brighton were only beaten twice on their travels during the regular season last year and ended up well beaten by a City team which played with a fluency barely ever seen under Slade - the Brighton Argus headline for that game of “Sorry Albion blown away by stylish Cardiff” sticks in my mind because that adjective has been applied to a City performance only rarely in my more than half a century of supporting them and it was surely a one off under Slade's management.

No- he has an obsession with anything negative about CCFC as does chepstow.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPYS DEN View Post
    That's rich coming from you Mr negativity, I remember when you and countless others slagged Slade off every week.
    You might think Colin is doing a good job but I don't think he's doing any better than Trolls or Slade.
    That's my opinion if you don't like it TOUGH.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPYS DEN View Post
    I try to avoid the negative stuff now. I got so fed up of reading all last season from planks like you. I stick to facts now. Like we are third from the bottom of the champ when we finished 8th last season. Like we bought in at least 5 players in the last transfer window which 4 months later we dont want anymore even though we let better players go (Fabio, Turner, Marshall) to accomodate them. We have a transfer committee who presided over the club two first teams goakeepers being sold in 7 days?
    They are negatives...... they are facts!!
    We are a basket club and will be on our third manager this season before the seasons out.... not a fact an "opinion"

That's rich coming from you Mr negativity, I remember when you and countless others slagged Slade off every week.
    You might think Colin is doing a good job but I don't think he's doing any better than Trolls or Slade.
    Slade you can probably argue with, I'd disagree with you but at least you can back it up, but Trollope? Come on man, stop talking out of your arse. Trollope had 12 games, we won 2, drew 2 and lost 8. Warnock has won 3, drawn 2 and lost 3. Points per game, Trollope has 0.5, Warnock has 1.375, and we've played much better opposition than under PT. That's the stat that matters most of all as well. If Warnock's form was replicated throughout a full season, we'd have got 63 points, good enough to finish 10th last season, 5 points behind us last year. If Trollope's record continued, we'd have 23 points, 7 points behind Bolton in 24th.

Give me a link -usual bluster without foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    I try to avoid the negative stuff now. I got so fed up of reading all last season from planks like you. I stick to facts now. Like we are third from the bottom of the champ when we finished 8th last season. Like we bought in at least 5 players in the last transfer window which 4 months later we dont want anymore even though we let better players go (Fabio, Turner, Marshall) to accomodate them. We have a transfer committee who presided over the club two first teams goakeepers being sold in 7 days?
    They are negatives...... they are facts!!
    We are a basket club and will be on our third manager this season before the seasons out.... not a fact an "opinion"
    Planks lol-pot,kettle,black!!!Comparing where we finished last season with where we are now is hardly a good analogy-unless you have an agenda of course.Good thing us 'planks' can see right through it.Come back in May when you will have a realistic comparison to give us all.

There's a really interesting thread on **** which asks very similar questions:

http://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/vi...p?f=2&t=180021

grange_end1927 has done some fine analysis there. Well done to him!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

I can understand copying a thread as it is a good discussion point, but how come they never credit where the original post came from?

A lot of fans read both message boards (even if they don't post) so most would know anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

WOW ...This Norbiton geezer has copied him almost word for word..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    WOW ...This Norbiton geezer has copied him almost word for word..
    But without the stats grids to back the argument up...

A bit trickier to copy and paste.