+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has Warnock really improved us?

Has Warnock really improved us?

Watching the results and performances under Warnock it seems we've made a step in the right direction but are still stuck in the relegation zone.

I wanted to see if what seems to be an improvement actually is and if it's enough to keep us up?
    So here's my look at how Warnock has changed us over his time here and whether its working:
    http://theonlystat.blogspot.co.uk/20...d-cardiff.html

Hope you enjoy it and I'd be very happy for any feedback.

Re: Has Warnock really improved us?

Quote Originally Posted by Norbiton Dragon View Post
    Watching the results and performances under Warnock it seems we've made a step in the right direction but are still stuck in the relegation zone.

I wanted to see if what seems to be an improvement actually is and if it's enough to keep us up?
    So here's my look at how Warnock has changed us over his time here and whether its working:
    http://theonlystat.blogspot.co.uk/20...d-cardiff.html

Hope you enjoy it and I'd be very happy for any feedback.
    I'll start with a bit of a moan - I would have been very interested to have read those charts you produced, but couldn't do so because the print was so small and I don't think the coloured text helped either.

Apart from that though, I enjoyed it and it's good to see what I think is a general feeling that we've improved under Warnock backed up by statistics.

I agree with you about the selling of the two goalkeepers. To be fair to Ben Amos, who I was pretty critical of before he'd played a game for us, I've not seen him concede many goals that he could be blamed for, but, by the same token, it's hard to think of many outstanding saves from him either - might there be some goals he has let in that Marshall, or even Moore, might have prevented?

Regarding those defensive stats, the conclusion I arrive at when reading is that we should not be conceding as many goals as we are doing (there are still only two sides in the division who have let in more than us). Therefore, I wonder if sheer bad luck might be a factor in why we concede so many? I'm thinking in particular here of Huddersfield's second goal which would not have flown in like it did on nine out of ten occasions - also, we are conceding an awful lot of penalties this season.

Good read

Sorry about the charts Bob. If you click the image it will expand to a much bigger and readable version. (I've added a line in the piece to make that clear as well.)

I think our poor defensive record is a combination of factors.
    For example, Tomlin's goal when we were already 2-0 up vs Bristol City was a poor one to concede by Amos and I suspect Marshall or Moore would have stopped that.
    And the penalties are a concern. Some of that is down to bad luck, but also down to poor defensive play.

Good read

Banned

Has Colin improved our style of play

Has Colin improved our squad

Has Colin improved our goal scoring

Has Colin improved our under 18/23 set up

Has Colin improved our attendance

Has Colin improved our chance of survival

I'd have to say there is very little improvement if any. We have taken 4 points from the last 5 games and 3 of the games were home.
    On that sort of form we are screwed.

Who is Colin.?

Thanks for the appreciation Rjk and LlanedeyrnBlue.

Think I'm missing something Tandy, sorry.

Basically we've won 3 drawn 2 and lost 3 - mid table form, from a far more difficult run of fixtures than the ones Trollope achieved relegation form in so yes, he's improved us a lot.

Thanks for the appreciation Rjk and LlanedeyrnBlue.

Think I'm missing something Tandy, sorry.
    It's not you, it's Tandy.
    He's missing his dad Russell.

As well as a few brain cells

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    It's not you, it's Tandy.
    He's missing his dad Russell.

As well as a few brain cells
    He will be on in a minute saying you are Liverpool fan.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    He will be on in a minute saying you are Liverpool fan.
    No, you are the Liverpool fan and TH63 is a Eric Bristow fan

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Nasty man.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Basically we've won 3 drawn 2 and lost 3 - mid table form, from a far more difficult run of fixtures than the ones Trollope achieved relegation form in so yes, he's improved us a lot.
    That about sums it up nicely and simply

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Fwiw I can't stand Bristow, I just didn't see too much wrong with his first tweet, the subsequent tweets were a different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Agreed, Trollope got us into this mess, warnock is doing a decent job of trying to get us out of it.

Not yet but he will get us better...... Bout halfway up the league but sadly a decline compared to last season and at what cost?

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Fwiw I can't stand Bristow, I just didn't see too much wrong with his first tweet, the subsequent tweets were a different matter.
    yea yea

its all too late now, Casual has taken your " Chief Inspector of the CCMB Morality Police " badge of you, you will have to do some serious moral policing to get it back now

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes, but *anyone* can win a few games through a bit of footballing luck, I wanted to see if what Warnock's done is likely to be sustainable. From the stats so far, it seems to be.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    yea yea

its all too late now, Casual has taken your " Chief Inspector of the CCMB Morality Police " badge of you, you will have to do some serious moral policing to get it back now
    He's welcome to it

Yes, but *anyone* can win a few games through a bit of footballing luck, I wanted to see if what Warnock's done is likely to be sustainable. From the stats so far, it seems to be.
    Thanks for taking the time and effort to produce that analysis. It was genuinely illuminating and reassuring. I hope the stats do tell the tale in this case...

I wasnt knocking your hard work, more a response to Tandy's rather bizarre post.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I wasnt knocking your hard work, more a response to Tandy's rather bizarre post.
    Not a lot of difference between Warnock and Slade's teams. Warnock is a bit more animated but, with cold analysis, we are better off than we were with Trollope, and about 25% off what we were with Slade.

If Warnock came from a teaching background, he'd be vilified here. It's only his reputation that is keeping the fanbase on side.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Not a lot of difference between Warnock and Slade's teams. Warnock is a bit more animated but, with cold analysis, we are better off than we were with Trollope, and about 25% off what we were with Slade.

If Warnock came from a teaching background, he'd be vilified here. It's only his reputation that is keeping the fanbase on side.
    I've been watching Cardiff for many years now and I completely disagree. Whether results are better or not, I feel a damn sight better inclined towards Warnock's teams than Slade's. This is because he seems to have a plan to take us forward and not just about do enough. Whether Slade would have been able to take this next step with the backing he'd have needed is debatable - mainly because no-one cared about the team any more regardless of the results. If you didn't feel that too then I'm surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    I've been watching Cardiff for many years now and I completely disagree. Whether results are better or not, I feel a damn sight better inclined towards Warnock's teams than Slade's. This is because he seems to have a plan to take us forward and not just about do enough. Whether Slade would have been able to take this next step with the backing he'd have needed is debatable - mainly because no-one cared about the team any more regardless of the results. If you didn't feel that too then I'm surprised.
    Slade's "doing just about enough" never saw his team in the bottom three. I know Warnock inherited a bad set of results from Trollope, but where is the turnaround? We've had the new manager effect, it's worn off, it's time for Warnock to live up to your expectations. Not mine, I've long thought he is over-rated.