+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M4 travel nightmare

M4 travel nightmare

So far this week there has been 4 mornings of delays due to crashes, and it's only Thursday. Every other day the M4 seems to have a crash that causes chaos.

People are linking the recent increases in crashes to the speed cameras being turned on. I can see the reasoning for it. Dangerous part of road where you now need to:

Take your eyes off the road
    Brake suddenly

Not sure this stretch of road is the right place to be increasing those sorts of things. Hurry up and build the relief road, and do it properly not one of the other half added options.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/lo...ashes-12291596

Re: M4 travel nightmare

Half the drivers are on their phones which doesn't help

Bad drivers to blame. Ignoring the speed warnings is the norm

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    So far this week there has been 4 mornings of delays due to crashes, and it's only Thursday. Every other day the M4 seems to have a crash that causes chaos.

People are linking the recent increases in crashes to the speed cameras being turned on. I can see the reasoning for it. Dangerous part of road where you now need to:

Brake suddenly

Not sure this stretch of road is the right place to be increasing those sorts of things. Hurry up and build the relief road, and do it properly not one of the other half added options.

Why do you now need to take your eyes off the road?

It is a completely crap stretch of road but it's a bit Clarkson to blame the road for the accidents. If people would just keep their distance then the problem would be solved immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    To check your speed. You can try and be holier than thou. But with varying speed limits you have to check.

To look at his/her speedo, to make sure he/she is going as SLOW as everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    It is a completely crap stretch of road but it's a bit Clarkson to blame the road for the accidents. If people would just keep their distance then the problem would be solved immediately.
    Then why does it appear that accidents have gone up since the cameras were turned on.

The road is bad and always been dangerous, but since the cameras have been switched on its gone from being a monthly thing to a several times a week. The road has not changed. Only people having to double check their speed has changed.
    Last edited by Barry Dragon; 08-12-16 at 18:41.

Then why does it appear that accidents have gone up since the cameras were turned on.

The road is bad and always been dangerous, but since the cameras have been switched on its gone from being a monthly thing to a several times a week. The road has not changed. Only people having to double check their speed has changed.
    I sincerely doubt that any of the accidents were caused by people checking their speedo. It's really not hard at all to keep to the speed limit without driving into the back of another vehicle.

To check your speed. You can try and be holier than thou. But with varying speed limits you have to check.
    If it takes you so long to check your speed that you end up causing an accident you should really consider if driving is for you.

By what I have seen it is mobiles combined with terrible driving.

This x 100% its not a difficult concept, I suffer the M4 5 days a week, since the speed cameras have come into force, in addition to the drive up your arse brigade, is the lane switching brigade

If it takes you so long to check your speed that you end up causing an accident you should really consider if driving is for you.
    An accident only takes a millisecond to happen.

I sincerely doubt that any of the accidents were caused by people checking their speedo. It's really not hard at all to keep to the speed limit without driving into the back of another vehicle.
    You write it as though there is one 'set speed limit'...whereas the point made in this post was that the accidents are occurring due to the changes in the speed limit every few miles of that stretch of road.

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley Harriott View Post
    You write it as though there is one 'set speed limit'...whereas the point made in this post was that the accidents are occurring due to the changes in the speed limit every few miles of that stretch of road.
    I understand the point, but I dispute it. The accidents are being caused by people driving too fast, too close to the vehicle in front.

I was 2 cars away from the crash as it happened just before the coldra today, if I hadn't have kept my distance I would have been joining them. It's split second stuff when that happens and if you don't have any distance then you've no chance.

Another crash on the M5 caused chaos as well and another one further down the M4, its no wonder with the driving you see, tailgating, undertaking all very very common occurances

Brake suddenly

We can always choose to use the rail network
    In 28 years time

Chevrons are needed to force people to keep distance. Works on the m6

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    If you mean the ones where you have to keep two chevrons apart, then they are just as dangerous. Last week I was behind a Ferrari that was doing at least 100 mph. I had a hell of a job keeping up with him in my van.

If you mean the ones where you have to keep two chevrons apart, then they are just as dangerous. Last week I was behind a Ferrari that was doing at least 100 mph. I had a hell of a job keeping up with him in my van.

Chevrons are needed to force people to keep distance.
    Perhaps someone will explain why the chevrons are the same distance apart in all three lanes - and how that can be a safety feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Perhaps someone will explain why the chevrons are the same distance apart in all three lanes - and how that can be a safety feature.
    The chevons are spaced at a safe stopping distance at 70mph (+ a margin of error), which is the speed limit of the road.

It doesn't affect safety if you are spaced at these chevons but are going slower than the speed limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    You're not one of those thanks thinks different lanes are for different speeds are you? You can do 80 in any of them....

the stretch of the M4 between bath and Bristol has them aswell, works well enough as its very easy to understand

The chevrons are a good idea for the increasing number of people who don't know their stopping distances. Good drivers shouldn't need them.