+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M4 travel nightmare

Re: M4 travel nightmare

lots of debate here but i would rather ditch the traffic management cameras around newport . they are a distraction and should be ditched asap . i see the problems here as i saw in the midlands where you see lots of accidents just after traffic management systems

it's just not working just plonking cameras above the motorways just to slow down at critical points . i don't know what the answer is but the m4 relief road can't come quick enough if it ever happens at all

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    lots of debate here but i would rather ditch the traffic management cameras around newport . they are a distraction and should be ditched asap . i see the problems here as i saw in the midlands where you see lots of accidents just after traffic management systems

it's just not working just plonking cameras above the motorways just to slow down at critical points . i don't know what the answer is but the m4 relief road can't come quick enough if it ever happens at all
    Until the relief road is built, sometime later in the century, there is a very simple and relatively cheap answer. They should have stuck with the average speed cameras. They are the only way to control such a large amount of traffic on a winding stretch of motorway with two bottlenecks in either direction. All they have to do is have them active in the rush hours.

barry the average speed cameras do seem to work on the m5 from Bristol to Gloucester/Cheltenham as i,ve never seemed to encounter any problems there . The newport problem is a bit different tho . oh well looking forward to my trip on the M4 on Monday NOT !

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Until the relief road is built, sometime later in the century, there is a very simple and relatively cheap answer. They should have stuck with the average speed cameras. They are the only way to control such a large amount of traffic on a winding stretch of motorway with two bottlenecks in either direction. All they have to do is have them active in the rush hours.
    The entire stretch of road from Magor to Jct 29 is beyond being unfit for purpose. Its winding, undulating geography made it a terrible route to begin with, as HGVs and other slower vehicles struggle with constantly changing speeds uphill and downhill. Throw into the mix that large swathes of it have the same number of lanes as some of the English 'motorways' did in the 1960s and you can see how badly we've been treated here. For example, Liverpool has three X three / four lane motorways in and out of it ffs!

The relief road is already 20 years overdue and they still haven't out an effing spade in the ground yet.

As a motorist, I'm constantly raging about the lack of determination amongst our MPs to resolve this farce. Start adding in the more recent and increasing fatalities, and we should all be absolutely ashamed of ourselves for letting it get to this stage.

THE CURRENT INFRASTRUCTURE OF SOUTH WALES IS NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE, AND IS NOW KILLING PEOPLE.

FAO WAG - START EFFING DIGGING THE GROUND FOR THE NEW M4 RELIEF ROAD. AND WHILE YOU'RE AT IT, ENSURE THAT THE METRO IS BUILT, AND THAT IT IS BUILT AHEAD OF SCHEDULE...

I'd love someone to start an independent party that solely concentrates on transport and infrastructure and starts winning votes / seats to finally wake the suited dinosaurs up at the WAG.

(p.s. I'm not biased either as, I seriously applaud the Labour WAG leadership in their moves to safeguard and now energise Cardiff Wales Airport).

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I understand the point, but I dispute it. The accidents are being caused by people driving too fast, too close to the vehicle in front.
    Bingo. Your contribution to the thread has been spot on.

Arthur the time this is built we will be lying horizontal under the ground . how will business in south wales in the next 10 years survive or beyond >?

i will vote for anyone who will answer me this !

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Bingo. Your contribution to the thread has been spot on.
    I don't know if you have much experience of driving elsewhere in the UK on motorways, but as I've said above, the geographical nature of the stretch added to the common congestion experienced everywhere, means that it has become a very dangerous stretch of road indeed.

Due to the absurdity in the UK that our driving lessons and test do NOT include any motorway training / assessment, then you have to assume there will be nervous and inexperienced people driving at speed, on what is one of the most dangerous routes I've used in the entire UK and Ireland.

HGVs constantly slowing and speeding up on the hills, plus the omnipresent danger of the middle lane / outer lane hogger (ironically not such a problem here as all three lanes are usually jammed here plus it's largely only two lanes anywy), and you have a recipe for disaster.

The constant changing of the speed limits is actually adding to these problems. As said above, if there are going to be speed cameras, then a constant 50mph average speed limit during the busiest times from Magor to Jct 29 is the only sensible option.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    barry the average speed cameras do seem to work on the m5 from Bristol to Gloucester/Cheltenham as i,ve never seemed to encounter any problems there . The newport problem is a bit different tho . oh well looking forward to my trip on the M4 on Monday NOT !
    I had to get upto Stafford by 8 am last weekend, so left the house at 4.30, nothing on the road, yet them average speed camera worked

Oh and what is it with that stretch of the M5, it has had road works for several years now, and nothing appears to be done ( though i did see some scaffolding around a bridge on the way home )

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I had to get upto Stafford by 8 am last weekend, so left the house at 4.30, nothing on the road, yet them average speed camera worked

Oh and what is it with that stretch of the M5, it has had road works for several years now, and nothing appears to be done ( though i did see some scaffolding around a bridge on the way home )
    I know it can be frustrating but doing 50 rather than 70 for a few miles is barely going to add a minute or two to the journey.