"The child-abuse panic is poisoning the adult-child relationship"

Do you think that's true?

Re: Who'd be a football coach now?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite...ball-coach-now

"The child-abuse panic is poisoning the adult-child relationship"

Do you think that's true?
    Yes i do.

I got into cricket coaching about 5 years ago, at that time i had to go through all the coaching lessons, take a CRB check and take part in a safeguarding children course. During this course it was spelt out to me that the only place i should have access to the children is on the sports field, and had no access to changing facilities or the likes. The course was made to make people aware of inappropriate behavior and how to spot and report it in others.

During this time, i had comments made to me that 'coaches' were only doing it to get access to children, and there were a lot of pedophiles in sport. There is a huge amount of paranoia in people in this area.

Even though these footballing stories, are from 20 years ago this will peak this paranoia and turn parents and coaches away from sport. Im currently not coaching and havent been for the past 3 years. With this going on i wouldnt be keen to give up my time to start something up again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Yes i do.

I got into cricket coaching about 5 years ago, at that time i had to go through all the coaching lessons, take a CRB check and take part in a safeguarding children course. During this course it was spelt out to me that the only place i should have access to the children is on the sports field, and had no access to changing facilities or the likes. The course was made to make people aware of inappropriate behavior and how to spot and report it in others.

During this time, i had comments made to me that 'coaches' were only doing it to get access to children, and there were a lot of pedophiles in sport. There is a huge amount of paranoia in people in this area.

Even though these footballing stories, are from 20 years ago this will peak this paranoia and turn parents and coaches away from sport. Im currently not coaching and havent been for the past 3 years. With this going on i wouldnt be keen to give up my time to start something up again.
    Wow, I had no idea it was as bad as that, my kids are older now so it's not something I have thought about.

I'm sure I'm not the only one on here that coaches mini or youth football. As qccfc said, we are DBS (used to be CRB) checked and there is plenty of help and advice from the FAW who are great. The parents of our lads are generally a great bunch, but I have recently become more conscious of how they may view you and, as silly as it may seem, I am probably more wary of helping kids on and off with bibs, gloves, tieing boot laces etc as you always hear about inappropriate touching and so on.

I don't have to spend any time alone with the kids as the parents are always at training and matches, but I think would be a bit reluctant to give lifts or whatever on my own. It's a sad state of affairs but I just don't think it would be worth putting yourself in any potentially compromising position.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I'm sure I'm not the only one on here that coaches mini or youth football. As qccfc said, we are DBS (used to be CRB) checked and there is plenty of help and advice from the FAW who are great. The parents of our lads are generally a great bunch, but I have recently become more conscious of how they may view you and, as silly as it may seem, I am probably more wary of helping kids on and off with bibs, gloves, tieing boot laces etc as you always hear about inappropriate touching and so on.

I don't have to spend any time alone with the kids as the parents are always at training and matches, but I think would be a bit reluctant to give lifts or whatever on my own. It's a sad state of affairs but I just don't think it would be worth putting yourself in any potentially compromising position.
    Yeah it's a shame it has to come to that, Steve has always been cautious when doing the discos because kids are always interested in all those buttons and want to go behind and see what he's doing, like you say, you can't be too careful.

Different scenario but similar situation -

Someone I know well has a Father who was a highly regarded Scout Leader.
    The effort and commitment he put into it was admirable, and people used to talk fondly of his achievements.
    More recently whenever I've heard the subject mentioned in passing, I notice people tend to make nudge nudge jokes - at best.
    Some look downright uncomfortable and I have witnessed one person actually get a bit worked up. Over what?

It is a tricky one. We have to protect our youngsters, but fear and unwarranted innuendo helps nobody - certainly not kids.
    As Barry and and qccfc have mentioned to be a coach you must be DBS checked - in the same manner that Teachers do.

While there is no room for complacency, the opportunities for those looking to engage in abusive behaviour are surely diminished these days thankfully, due to much, much better awareness and vastly improved levels of safeguarding.

I hope - for the sake of the kids - that nobody stops wanting to be a mini / youth sport coach.

Most people get involved through their kids If they suddenly stopped there would be kids sport. Its a shame but it does make you think.I ran a kids and youth side for years mainly because my son was involved. I stepped forward when nobody wanted to.I have to say these days I would think twice about it.

Quote Originally Posted by valley boy View Post
    Most people get involved through their kids If they suddenly stopped there would be kids sport. Its a shame but it does make you think.I ran a kids and youth side for years mainly because my son was involved. I stepped forward when nobody wanted to.I have to say these days I would think twice about it.
    It is a real shame a few bad people could spoil it for so many good coaches.

I coached my lads football team for around 5 years 11-16 years ago. Great days and wonderful memories of a great bunch of lads most of who remain firm friends with my lad to this day. Certainly wouldn't want to do so at this point in time, given what is happening at the moment.

My lad plays for an under 14 team. I have helped with coaching from time to time but am happy to just run the line these days. One of the dad's took over as coach this season and he hates it. He just finds it a lot of work and a bit of a hassle. Without him the team would probably fold and 19/29 lads wouldn't have a team to play for.

It's a real shame that so many clubs were infiltrated with unsavoury coaches. Without decent men and women giving up their time youth football would disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    I coached my lads football team for around 5 years 11-16 years ago. Great days and wonderful memories of a great bunch of lads most of who remain firm friends with my lad to this day. Certainly wouldn't want to do so at this point in time, given what is happening at the moment.
    They must have been crap if you were coaching them cos what you know about football you could get on the back of a postage stamp

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    They must have been crap if you were coaching them cos what you know about football you could get on the back of a postage stamp
    Yes, you are quite correct. They lost three games in the 5 years I coached them. Truly dreadful team.

Twat.

Yes, you are quite correct. They lost three games in the 5 years I coached them. Truly dreadful team.

Twat.
    If you say so Rolf

If you say so Rolf
    Get well soon.

Boy.

Get well soon.

Boy.
    Ok Jimmy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    Different scenario but similar situation -

Someone I know well has a Father who was a highly regarded Scout Leader.
    The effort and commitment he put into it was admirable, and people used to talk fondly of his achievements.
    More recently whenever I've heard the subject mentioned in passing, I notice people tend to make nudge nudge jokes - at best.
    Some look downright uncomfortable and I have witnessed one person actually get a bit worked up. Over what?

It is a tricky one. We have to protect our youngsters, but fear and unwarranted innuendo helps nobody - certainly not kids.
    As Barry and and qccfc have mentioned to be a coach you must be DBS checked - in the same manner that Teachers do.

While there is no room for complacency, the opportunities for those looking to engage in abusive behaviour are surely diminished these days thankfully, due to much, much better awareness and vastly improved levels of safeguarding.

I hope - for the sake of the kids - that nobody stops wanting to be a mini / youth sport coach.
    The Scouts have had some bad press over the years, same with the church, you only hear bad stories that's the trouble, for every one bad story there are probably a thousand good ones, it does give the impression there is evil around every corner though sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by valley boy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    My lad plays for an under 14 team. I have helped with coaching from time to time but am happy to just run the line these days. One of the dad's took over as coach this season and he hates it. He just finds it a lot of work and a bit of a hassle. Without him the team would probably fold and 19/29 lads wouldn't have a team to play for.

It's a real shame that so many clubs were infiltrated with unsavoury coaches. Without decent men and women giving up their time youth football would disappear.
    It seems that stepping up because nobody else wants to do it is what keeps some of these things going, it's a shame really, I imagine it's quite a commitment though, especially if you have other kids doing other activities,

Ok Jimmy
    You really are the lowest of the low. The lowest sad act that has ever posted on this message board.

Get well soon.

Seek help.

Best wishes and Godspeed.

You really are the lowest of the low. The lowest sad act that has ever posted on this message board.

Get well soon.

Seek help.

Best wishes and Godspeed.
    Don't dish it out if you can't take it back Cliffy

Banned

Casual ruins a good thread AGAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Casual ruins a good thread AGAIN.
    Irony

When Tandy starts making sense it's time to pack this board in

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Don't panic officer I'm not staying. Just a fleeting visit.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Pretty unpleasant opening the board and seeing someone who thinks it's funny to make light of these truly horrible cases. It was an interesting thread initially.

If you say so Rolf
    That's bang out of order

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    That's bang out of order
    Indeed it is. Will he get pulled up for it? No, encouraged more like.