+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: OT: Soundbars

OT: Soundbars

Looking for the advice of any audiophiles that might happen frequent the forum...

I'm after a decent soundbar to pair with my Samsung TV. Ideally looking for something under £200 so nothing high end but just to improve the overall quality ofthe sound.

My main question is, are soundbars suitable for a relatively small living room which is part of an open plan kitchen/living area? Seen some posts online that they don't work so well in open plan spaces but I'm wpodering if that's just for very large rooms? My room is rectuangularly shaped, quite long and narrow, is a regualr soundbar suitable?

Re: OT: Soundbars

I was looking at the LG SH5 but the issue with it is that it's silver and doesn't match the TV or tv unit and doesn't seem to come in black :( My OCD would not be able to cope wth that!

Quote Originally Posted by jnc90 View Post
    Looking for the advice of any audiophiles that might happen frequent the forum...

I'm after a decent soundbar to pair with my Samsung TV. Ideally looking for something under £200 so nothing high end but just to improve the overall quality ofthe sound.

My main question is, are soundbars suitable for a relatively small living room which is part of an open plan kitchen/living area? Seen some posts online that they don't work so well in open plan spaces but I'm wpodering if that's just for very large rooms? My room is rectuangularly shaped, quite long and narrow, is a regualr soundbar suitable?
    I can't see what the issue with open plan spaces might be... a 5.1 surround system may be difficult to set up in such a space but a sound bar and sub woofer just enhances the sound from the TV.

I've got a Samsung TV and I also got a Samsung soundbar, was only about £140 but and it connects to the TV via bluetooth so didnt' need any extra setup with the remote etc..

Not high end at all but makes a marked difference than just the TV speakers.

Failing that, drop £500 on a sonos!

We have the samsung hw-j355

Your room sounds exactly like ours,an open plan kitchen/living room and we are more than happy with it.
    Never had it anywhere near top volume and sometimes we still get the neighbours banging the walls about the vol.

Bluetooth so we have ipods and tablets running through it for music also the kids Xbox one.

Good price in argos at the moment but we only paid £70 in the last January sale in Tesco.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4294829?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|cid:200217410|agid:12488203010|tid :pla-131128121330|crid:66128550050|nw:g|rnd:34853973322 84845891|dvc:c|adp:1o2&gclid=CMHFm5SO9tACFeKV7QodQIsOOw

looks like link isnt working.
    google the feker, well worth the money.
    Last edited by Charlie; 15-12-16 at 11:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post

Your room sounds exactly like ours,an open plan kitchen/living room and we are more than happy with it.
    Never had it anywhere near top volume and sometimes we still get the neighbours banging the walls about the vol.

Bluetooth so we have ipods and tablets running through it for music also the kids Xbox one.

Good price in argos at the moment but we only paid £70 in the last January sale in Tesco.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4294829?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|cid:200217410|agid:12488203010|tid :pla-131128121330|crid:66128550050|nw:g|rnd:34853973322 84845891|dvc:c|adp:1o2&gclid=CMHFm5SO9tACFeKV7QodQIsOOw
    We've got the same one paid £80 about a year ago for ours pleased with it

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    We've got the same one paid £80 about a year ago for ours pleased with it
    That's the one I've got too! Looks like I paid the price for getting it when it was new..

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    That's the one I've got too! Looks like I paid the price for getting it when it was new..
    The bass started rattling found out that the great grandson had shoved three of his cars inside it

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post

looks like link isnt working.
    google the feker, well worth the money.
    Cheers mate! Sounds like I shouldn't have an issue with the room shape/size then, probably just being a tad over cautious as far as that was concerened after reading 1 or 2 reviews!

Seems like a very good price! i've got a £50 amazon voucher burning a hole in my pocket so I may go for a newer version in that Samsung line then as they all seem to have good reviews!

Feedback

get a samsung soundbar as it should work seamlessly with your TV. it might explode though

I have a Samsung 4k smart tv with the matching soundbar (Samsung HW-H550 2.1 Bluetooth Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer) and a similar open plan setup and the difference in quality is off the scale.

I've never gone above say 16 in volume and even then it shudders just like in a cinema.

Incredible bit of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    I have a Samsung 4k smart tv with the matching soundbar (Samsung HW-H550 2.1 Bluetooth Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer) and a similar open plan setup and the difference in quality is off the scale.

I've never gone above say 16 in volume and even then it shudders just like in a cinema.

Incredible bit of kit.
    Does the wireless sub woofer require batteries? If so how long do they last?

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Does the wireless sub woofer require batteries? If so how long do they last?
    It's wireless in terms of the audio signal from the TV. It's powered by the 240v mains, so whilst not technically 'wirefree', it can be placed anywhere.

Incredible bit of kit.
    That's like the Ford Focus of soundbars.

I thought this was going to be a discussion of good pubs in Cardiff.

It's wireless in terms of the audio signal from the TV. It's powered by the 240v mains, so whilst not technically 'wirefree', it can be placed anywhere.
    I got this one and I put it in the garage but the sound is shit

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    I thought this was going to be a discussion of good pubs in Cardiff.
    With music.

You only get what you pay for in life, get yourself a Sonos Sound Bar and Play 3 rear speakers. Very expensive but worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by Banc Blue View Post
    You only get what you pay for in life
    Says the man on the Kodi thread

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    The bass started rattling found out that the great grandson had shoved three of his cars inside it
    That reminded me of my daughter when she was about 6 stuffed toast and jam into the VHS recorder.