+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zohore ... please explain ..

Zohore ... please explain ..

Ok what am I missing . The guy is hopeless , can't jump more than 2 inches off the ground and we lump the ball up to him time and time again.
    Lots of people giving him 6 and sevens rating for yesterday's game . He was a two , he is no Gestede that put fear into defences . I am obviously missing the contribution he makes , I thought I watched him closely yesterday , and for me he did nothing . Put me right guys and I will try and see what everyone else is seeing .

Re: Zohore ... please explain ..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Ok what am I missing . The guy is hopeless , can't jump more than 2 inches off the ground and we lump the ball up to him time and time again.
    Lots of people giving him 6 and sevens rating for yesterday's game . He was a two , he is no Gestede that put fear into defences . I am obviously missing the contribution he makes , I thought I watched him closely yesterday , and for me he did nothing . Put me right guys and I will try and see what everyone else is seeing .
    I see him as one on many very ordinary footballers who must earn shedloads of money without even looking like he has any real talent. And City has quite a few of them.

Thought he did OK Jimmy-felt he held the ball up and brought others into play quite nicely.He had little support but I would agree he isn't he greatest in the air.He has exceeded my expectations of him in the last two games but you could argue that wasn't difficult.I think he is probably a better impact player than a 90 minute player.

He hassled their defence, held the ball up well and brought others into play

Its hard for strikers to do well when their supply and support is as poor as it was yesterday

I don't know how you can say he doesn't put fear in defences Jim.

Granted he's not Thierry Henry but he looks far more accomplished than Gestede did in his time with us.

I accept that he didn't win much aerial ball yesterday but Roberts was superb and Lambert didn't win anything against him either.

He made two great little runs in the first half around the corner which resulted in the keeper having to make saves and i think he has stacks of pace and power personally.

There is no doubt that he is raw and he is still finding his feet but i think with the right coaching he can be a real prospect in this division as long as the fan base gives him a chance and don't boo him every time he makes a mistake.

You won't find too many larger strikers who are consistently dangerous at the age of 22. Does Kenneth do enough to suggest he's worth the effort into allowing him to develop?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    You won't find too many larger strikers who are consistently dangerous at the age of 22. Does Kenneth do enough to suggest he's worth the effort into allowing him to develop?
    Warnock was full of praise for him in his after game press conference although he did say that he'll be bringing in a striker in the window.

Quote Originally Posted by old blue View Post
    Warnock was full of praise for him in his after game press conference although he did say that he'll be bringing in a striker in the window.
    It may be a shame to cast him out where he could go on to better things (Gestede). His place is really on the bench as an impact player for 20 minutes where he can worry opposition defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I don't know how you can say he doesn't put fear in defences Jim.

Granted he's not Thierry Henry but he looks far more accomplished than Gestede did in his time with us.

I accept that he didn't win much aerial ball yesterday but Roberts was superb and Lambert didn't win anything against him either.

He made two great little runs in the first half around the corner which resulted in the keeper having to make saves and i think he has stacks of pace and power personally.

There is no doubt that he is raw and he is still finding his feet but i think with the right coaching he can be a real prospect in this division as long as the fan base gives him a chance and don't boo him every time he makes a mistake.
    I think this best chimes with my view of Zohore. He has all the natural attributes needed and now just needs to learn the dark arts of his trade a little better. I have the feeling that once he feels he belongs on the park that he'll become a real force for us. With Bellers now involved in coaching too, then we have a very intriguing prospect here.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    I think this best chimes with my view of Zohore. He has all the natural attributes needed and now just needs to learn the dark arts of his trade a little better. I have the feeling that once he feels he belongs on the park that he'll become a real force for us. With Bellers now involved in coaching too, then we have a very intriguing prospect here.
    You could be right,he is very raw but he does seem to have improved in a short space of time

Tbf, he's not that good. It's just that compared to the strikers we have had over the last few years he seems good. He does worry defenders and he puts himself about a bit.
    I struggle to remember the last time one of our strikers worried a defender.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    You could be right,he is very raw but he does seem to have improved in a short space of time
    he has

I for one could never see a footballer in Gestede, nothing of note about him, that might seem a little harsh but having watched all the games LFW played for us, i thought i could spot a awkward clumsy striker who brought something to the party

Reading between the lines , "he one for the future" at best . If he is worrying defenders it must be out of my site line. I doubt he will become an illustrious striker for us or anyone else.
    I could see Gestede was a nuisance striker who was raw , he never became a 6 million pound striker though . He hit a purple patch in his career and was lucky enough to benefit from it .
    Tandy does have a point to a degree here , Slade brought in Revell who was also useless but tried really hard , the fans never took to him , quite rightly , but are more willing to give Zohore a chance.
    Immers came on the other day , made one mistake and the crowd got right on his back , his confidence evaporated immediately .
    I may come on here and air some negative views but would never let a Cardiff player know during a game that I felt he was less than the best thing since sliced bread .

Reading between the lines , "he one for the future" at best . If he is worrying defenders it must be out of my site line. I doubt he will become an illustrious striker for us or anyone else.
    I could see Gestede was a nuisance striker who was raw , he never became a 6 million pound striker though . He hit a purple patch in his career and was lucky enough to benefit from it .
    Tandy does have a point to a degree here , Slade brought in Revell who was also useless but tried really hard , the fans never took to him , quite rightly , but are more willing to give Zohore a chance.
    I think most people on here had actually written Zahore off before the last couple of games. I've read a lot of negative comments about him previously.

And are now just commenting how he has seemed fitter, harder-working and more confident in these matches. So I think they're mainly observations about a noticable improvement.

Time will tell whether he continues to progress.

Immers came on the other day , made one mistake and the crowd got right on his back , his confidence evaporated immediately .
    I may come on here and air some negative views but would never let a Cardiff player know during a game that I felt he was less than the best thing since sliced bread .
    Afternoon Jimmy. I think many points of view on Zohore's ability or otherwise could all be supported at this moment in time. Some, like myself, would prefer to see it as a sudden, promising, step up with a chance of more to come quite quickly as he gains in confidence. Others, like yourself, think he will never have what it takes and can point to evidence of that e.g. the shot vs Wolves on Tuesday that missed so badly the ref thought it must have been deflected and gave us a corner (from which we scored).

Only time will tell which is correct. Though history would suggest you are more likely to be right I reserve the right as a fan to be over optimistic and cling to as many straws as I want while we go through a period of adjustment that I hope will end up with a better side than we have now.

All of that aside, there is no doubt that with Zohore in the side we've been playing a lot further up the pitch than before. I cite this as evidence of his pace and the need for opposing defenders to be more honest in their positioning. This has allowed us more opportunities to score, and if this is all he brings then it will be enough so long as the rest keep scoring. Second half v Wolves and the whole Barnsley game were the most entertained I've been in seasons and those periods coincide with Zohore being on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Afternoon Jimmy. I think many points of view on Zohore's ability or otherwise could all be supported at this moment in time. Some, like myself, would prefer to see it as a sudden, promising, step up with a chance of more to come quite quickly as he gains in confidence. Others, like yourself, think he will never have what it takes and can point to evidence of that e.g. the shot vs Wolves on Tuesday that missed so badly the ref thought it must have been deflected and gave us a corner (from which we scored).

Only time will tell which is correct. Though history would suggest you are more likely to be right I reserve the right as a fan to be over optimistic and cling to as many straws as I want while we go through a period of adjustment that I hope will end up with a better side than we have now.

All of that aside, there is no doubt that with Zohore in the side we've been playing a lot further up the pitch than before. I cite this as evidence of his pace and the need for opposing defenders to be more honest in their positioning. This has allowed us more opportunities to score, and if this is all he brings then it will be enough so long as the rest keep scoring. Second half v Wolves and the whole Barnsley game were the most entertained I've been in seasons and those periods coincide with Zohore being on the pitch.
    Hi Ian . Yep we all deserve to be optimistic regarding our football team . After Zohore getting the thumbs up on Tuesday ( which totally flew over my head as well ), I paid special attention to him yesterday willing him to do something special , after a while I just wanted him to get off the ground for a header and do anything .
    My whole point here wasn't to ridicule the guy but see if I was missing something , if my ageing tuned football eye had suddenly gone blind . I agree with some it takes a player a while to hit top form and whilst I didn't get it wrong , look how Gunnarson has flipped his career . Love watching him theses days .
    I will watch Zohore with the same hope at kick off against Brighton and cheer him on whether he step up to the mark for me or not .

Hi Ian . Yep we all deserve to be optimistic regarding our football team . After Zohore getting the thumbs up on Tuesday ( which totally flew over my head as well ), I paid special attention to him yesterday willing him to do something special , after a while I just wanted him to get off the ground for a header and do anything .
    My whole point here wasn't to ridicule the guy but see if I was missing something , if my ageing tuned football eye had suddenly gone blind . I agree with some it takes a player a while to hit top form and whilst I didn't get it wrong , look how Gunnarson has flipped his career . Love watching him theses days .
    I will watch Zohore with the same hope at kick off against Brighton and cheer him on whether he step up to the mark for me or not .
    Hi Jimmy. I agree Gunnars has turned his game around under Warnock and is the drive behind the team at present.

I think with Zohore you have to be aware of the fact that he possesses some real pace, and this is the key to his contribution as we now play so much further up the pitch. Playing further up the pitch brings Whitts shooting into play and his goal and tipped away effort were stunning on Saturday - I hope we see more of this.

I think if he continues to play then he'll start scoring goals too. I was delighted to see him have the composure to play two intelligent passes on Tuesday and Saturday when previously he'd have had a go himself. Pilks scored from the first one on Tuesday, but Kadeem messed up the second on Saturday.

The downside of course is that the space we are leaving in behind did for us 3 times on Saturday, but I'm sure NW will sort that one out very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    He hassled their defence, held the ball up well and brought others into play

Its hard for strikers to do well when their supply and support is as poor as it was yesterday
    Do agree all I would say is he's a long away from being a solution as a main front man , perhaps he would make a decent bench man and play as an off the shoulder striker, worry for me we had a striker better than Kenneth and the visionary manager at the time couldn't see his potential, so spent 10 million plus on a vanity project, performance coach be buggered.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Tbf, he's not that good. It's just that compared to the strikers we have had over the last few years he seems good. He does worry defenders and he puts himself about a bit.
    I struggle to remember the last time one of our strikers worried a defender.
    I think it's also because he's so much better than he was in his earlier appearances.

Understand the OP posing the question and IMO, there have been some very flattering comments over the past week regarding Zahore.

What I would say though (didnt see the Wolves game mind) is at least we are trying to play a bit more to his strengths, i.e. supporting him from midfield, unlike his previous boss and as such, he has shown to be a lot more capable than everyone gave him credit for under Slade.

The difference I noticed in him was for once he looked interested. There was one situation in the first half where he won the ball in a defensive position deep in our half, gave it out to the left winger (Noone had changed sides I think) and showed the defenders a clean pair of heals desperate for the return killer pass à la Michael Chopra. Unfortunately, Noone didn't read this and tried to take his man on and the break fizzled out.
    I don't think he is anywhere near a Gestede, certainly not a Bothroyd, but given a run and properly nurtured, he could be an asset.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    I think it's also because he's so much better than he was in his earlier appearances.
    If I played , you would say I was better than his earlier appearances.

Middlesbrough had the best defensive record in the Championship last season and Burnley the second best. If you were to ask the central defenders of the latter how they rated Zohore, I'm guessing it would be pretty highly because he caused them problems when he came on at Turf Moor in April and almost won the game for us. He wasn't as effective at Middlesbrough,k but I can remember the radio commentators saying that our attacking play improved when he came on. So, he was effective against last season's champions and didn't do badly against the runner's up - he also almost rescued a point for us from 2-0 down at Brentford with less than five minutes left.

Of course, there was a lot of poor stuff to go with that, but, at his best, he was able to trouble good Championship defences and now this season, after four months of mediocre play when he was given a first team chance, he has come in and been one of our best two or three players for our last game and a half.

I compared him to Jay Bothroyd on my blog piece for the Barnsley match, but only to make the point that, like Jay, he strikes me as a striker with a target man build who does his best and most effective work when the ball is played into his feet. I've also seen him compared to Rudy Gestede, but I don't get that - Gestede was a lot more effective in the air when he was here, but I remember he had to be taught how to run properly when he first came to Cardiff, Zohore is a more athletic player than Gestede and I'd say is a better all round footballer than Rudy was during his first year at City.

I'd say that Zohore has the physical attributes to be a very good forward (still not convinced he'll ever be a consistent goalscorer) at Championship level if his mentality is right - maybe Craig Bellamy can pass on some of his playing mentality to Zohore because a tall, strong, mobile and quick striker in his early to mid twenties with a Bellamy type mindset would have a big future in the game.

Warnock putting the gloss on and encouraging KZ to perform, while in a cunning way saying 'play consistently or be replaced'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38358270

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Middlesbrough had the best defensive record in the Championship last season and Burnley the second best. If you were to ask the central defenders of the latter how they rated Zohore, I'm guessing it would be pretty highly because he caused them problems when he came on at Turf Moor in April and almost won the game for us. He wasn't as effective at Middlesbrough,k but I can remember the radio commentators saying that our attacking play improved when he came on. So, he was effective against last season's champions and didn't do badly against the runner's up - he also almost rescued a point for us from 2-0 down at Brentford with less than five minutes left.

Of course, there was a lot of poor stuff to go with that, but, at his best, he was able to trouble good Championship defences and now this season, after four months of mediocre play when he was given a first team chance, he has come in and been one of our best two or three players for our last game and a half.

I compared him to Jay Bothroyd on my blog piece for the Barnsley match, but only to make the point that, like Jay, he strikes me as a striker with a target man build who does his best and most effective work when the ball is played into his feet. I've also seen him compared to Rudy Gestede, but I don't get that - Gestede was a lot more effective in the air when he was here, but I remember he had to be taught how to run properly when he first came to Cardiff, Zohore is a more athletic player than Gestede and I'd say is a better all round footballer than Rudy was during his first year at City.

I'd say that Zohore has the physical attributes to be a very good forward (still not convinced he'll ever be a consistent goalscorer) at Championship level if his mentality is right - maybe Craig Bellamy can pass on some of his playing mentality to Zohore because a tall, strong, mobile and quick striker in his early to mid twenties with a Bellamy type mindset would have a big future in the game.
    Good post in a good thread. I'm certainly wishing Zohore well, he's working his socks off, things seem to be happening around him and hopefully a goal or two at first team level will help him push on. The way he took his second goal in the recent DVP game, calmly dinking the ball over the on-rushing keeper, suggests he might be a decent finisher when his confidence is high although I'm not holding my breath on that. I'm glad it wasn't him who missed the late chance which cost us the win on Saturday. I was surprised how little criticism there was after Zohore's flick and Pilkington's excellent awareness had set up a perfect chance for Lambert, when he finally got there. If Zohore (or Fred) had missed then we'd never have heard the last of it.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Bob you are saying he ruffled some feathers in a couple of games last season. Ok great . A comparison with Jay Bothryod ? Initially I thought WOW but reading on I see your point , get the ball to him on the deck. We dont though, we lump it up to him , generally he is in a good position to receive the high ball ,unfortunately his legs lack any spring. Changing the Warnock way to suit Zohore is highly unlikely.

I am going to take on board your comments and watch him again closely at Brighton , where he will probably get a bit more space, I do want him to succeed, I want all the players to succeed but I find it a little strange I am not seeing the same type of player that others are.
    Warnock coming out and giving him a fair bit of praise shows he thinks he may have something. My guess is we will sign a centre forward in the window despite Warnocks words.