+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rail Union / Southern trains

Rail Union / Southern trains

Greedy 2hats using xmas as leverage or genuine safety concerns ? I'd back the union with this one, IMO there should be a guard on the train.

Re: Rail Union / Southern trains

Agree that there needs to be a guard. But overall think the current train system is holding us back. We don't need train drivers anymore, and should be moving toward automation. The tech is there, so why not use it. A prime example of this is the london underground, where drivers are paid silly money to press a button every few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy31 View Post
    Agree that there needs to be a guard. But overall think the current train system is holding us back. We don't need train drivers anymore, and should be moving toward automation. The tech is there, so why not use it. A prime example of this is the london underground, where drivers are paid silly money to press a button every few minutes.
    Have you seen some platforms in peak hours? It can be really dangerous. The driver has enough to consider.

As for automation, it would cost billions.

Train drivers paid silly money? Gareth Bale is earning £300k a week after taxes to play a game.

Replace train drivers with robots and watch how many people will flock to the roads and buses.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Have you seen some platforms in peak hours? It can be really dangerous. The driver has enough to consider.

Train drivers paid silly money? Gareth Bale is earning £300k a week after taxes to play a game.

Replace train drivers with robots and watch how many people will flock to the roads and buses.
    seems to work on the DLR

How many people in the world can do what Bale does to the level he does it?

We could all press a button, even you.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    How many people in the world can do what Bale does to the level he does it?

We could all press a button, even you.

Do you really think the job just entails pressing a button?

If a train driver gets it wrong, people could get killed. If Gareth Bale gets it wrong, he may lose a sponsor.

Not too bright are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    seems to work on the DLR
    But those trains have drivers to open and close the doors.

I would imagine fully automated train network would cost an absolutely enormous amount of money.

Yes and that person is trained to be able to manually control the train if something unexpected happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Greedy 2hats using xmas as leverage or genuine safety concerns ? I'd back the union with this one, IMO there should be a guard on the train.
    I think this is all about a backdoor reclassification of jobs. 'No jobs will be lost', but if you take away responsibilities from the guard you can more easily justify paying him min-wage.

Do you really think the job just entails pressing a button?

If a train driver gets it wrong, people could get killed. If Gareth Bale gets it wrong, he may lose a sponsor.

Not too bright are you?
    Millions of people the world over are interested in Gareth Bale, not many are interested in the driver of the 7.25 to Paddington.

Not too bright are you?

Spoke with an Arriva guard last week. He said he was on £30k basic plus a percentage of the monetary value of the tickets he issued (5% I think). He made around £46k gross last year. He was praying that the union would beat Southern as he thought he'd be out of a job pretty quick otherwise. I've travelled on Southern numerous times but never seen a guard. Should Arriva elbow guards then who would operate the boarding ramps for the wheelchair bound? DLR has guards but are called pilots if I recall. They can also operate the train manually if needs be.

Just tell these bastards that robots can't strike, they will soon get back to work.

I'm on the side of the union versus greedy corporate vultures.

Mind, Robots/machines/artificial intelligence will replace most jobs in the future.

um, they dont employ "drivers"

The government wanted this strike , they have been blaming the union but it's all a con , if you will pardon the pun

This lot are worse than thatcher

I don't think many will be able to back up british airways workers striking over on pay over christmas.

Some defend strikes for the romantic idea that they are for the people.

When most hurt the majority far more.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    I don't think many will be able to back up british airways workers striking over on pay over christmas.

Some defend strikes for the romantic idea that they are for the people.

When most hurt the majority far more.
    Either something is a public service or it is a business, can't have it both ways. British Airways is a business.

You cant expect them to work for the 'greater good' while their employer is a profit making business.

I don't really understand why people think they need to vocalise their support (or lack of) for each particular strike. This is a business disagreement between the employer and employee and, in my opinion, is none of our business. If British Airways can't fulfil their contract with passengers (a ticket for a flight) then that is the companies responsibility.
    Last edited by Eric Cartman; 19-12-16 at 12:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Either something is a public service or it is a business, can't have it both ways. British Airways is a business.

You cant expect them to work for the 'greater good' while their employer is a profit making business.

I don't really understand why people think they need to vocalise their support (or lack of) for each particular strike. This is a business disagreement between the employer and employee and, in my opinion, is none of our business. If British Airways can't fulfil their contract with passengers (a ticket for a flight) then that is the companies responsibility.
    It goes beyond a private matter when their striking affects a large portion of the public. And they are unionised.

If I have a dispute with my employer I talk to them privately. I don't not turn up to work.

They use the affect on the normal public as leverage. That is why it is a public debate.

And in many cases it is more a dispute between a union and employer rather than the employee.

It goes beyond a private matter when their striking affects a large portion of the public. And they are unionised.

If I have a dispute with my employer I talk to them privately. I don't not turn up to work.

They use the affect on the normal public as leverage. That is why it is a public debate.

And in many cases it is more a dispute between a union and employer rather than the employee.
    So you don't believe in the right to strike at all then? That is a valid position to take but I believe will definitely lead to worse pay and worse terms and conditions for the lowest paid people in this country, the squeeze would be on leading to even greater inequality.

So you don't believe in the right to strike at all then? That is a valid position to take but I believe will definitely lead to worse pay and worse terms and conditions for the lowest paid people in this country, the squeeze would be on leading to even greater inequality.
    It is always sold as being for the general public safety. Then people fall for it and defend any strike.

British airways striking is over pay.

I am not against I'll striking. I'm against people defending all striking regardless of what it is about.

Workers are just as selfish as employers in my experience. Worse in most.

Blimey, I actually agree with you for once, Eric.

On the other hand there is defensible position which says no-one in the UK is obliged to take any job and if they're not content with it then they should feck off to secure different employment rather than cause inconvenience.

An interesting piece about the BA strike. As usual, there is a lot more to it than initially meets the eye. BA are taking the piss out of their customers.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irways-strike/

It is always sold as being for the general public safety. Then people fall for it and defend any strike.

British airways striking is over pay.

I am not against I'll striking. I'm against people defending all striking regardless of what it is about.

Workers are just as selfish as employers in my experience. Worse in most.
    You are attributing a view to me that isn't accurate.

My support for the right to strike is born from my view that if employers are allowed to make decisions based on profit and employees are forced to make decisions based on servicing the needs of the public you will end up with a gradual erosion of rights, pay and terms + conditions across the board. This will lead to greater inequality.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I'm on the side of the union versus greedy corporate vultures.

Mind, Robots/machines/artificial intelligence will replace most jobs in the future.
    People have been saying such things since the introduction of the printing press though. maybe they will be right one day.