+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rail Union / Southern trains

Re: Rail Union / Southern trains

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    People have been saying such things since the introduction of the printing press though. maybe they will be right one day.
    You're older than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Do you really think the job just entails pressing a button?

If a train driver gets it wrong, people could get killed. If Gareth Bale gets it wrong, he may lose a sponsor.

Not too bright are you?
    That's not how salaries work, is it?

Self driving trains will be more widespread in years to come.e, although considering the trains on the valley lines are about half a century old it'll probably be a while before it affects us.

The concerns over safety at the moment do seem to be genuine though.

Greed on both sides is causing this.

Greed of southern rail and the greed of the train drivers, they have priced themselves out of their button pushing responsibilities, and as a result of their wage demands are now putting guards out of a job aswell. Whatever happens Greed is going to win this, one way or another.

There seems to be some envy directed towards train drivers, possibly from jealous graduates who don't possess the brain power or lack the required self-motivation to exceed what their perceived social inferiors earn.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    There seems to be some envy directed towards train drivers, possibly from jealous graduates who don't possess the brain power or lack the required self-motivation to exceed what their perceived social inferiors earn.
    Not really.

More people being critical as the media portray the strikes as desperate attempts to save jobs that no longer need to exist.

Is that correct? hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Not really.

More people being critical as the media portray the strikes as desperate attempts to save jobs that no longer need to exist.

Is that correct? hmmm.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Have you seen some platforms in peak hours? It can be really dangerous. The driver has enough to consider.

I didn't say anyting about not havign guards on platforms though?

As for automation, it would cost billions.

You've got to think of efficiency savings, along with long term savings. If we took this view, nobody would start any businesses because the initial overheads are big.

Train drivers paid silly money? Gareth Bale is earning £300k a week after taxes to play a game.

It's irrelevant what Bale earns. Bale can do something not many people can. A machine could do the driver's job.

Replace train drivers with robots and watch how many people will flock to the roads and buses.

Why would they do that?
    Jobs are eventually going to be lost to machines that can do them. No point dragging it out at a cost of a more expense

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    So you don't believe in the right to strike at all then? That is a valid position to take but I believe will definitely lead to worse pay and worse terms and conditions for the lowest paid people in this country, the squeeze would be on leading to even greater inequality.
    Very naive of you Eric.

Sadly it is not the lowest paid people in society that are striking every week. It is not the hospital porters, cleaners, cooks and security guards that are striking in the NHS it's the privileged junior doctors who are striking about pay and unsociable hours but they pretend it's all about "patient safety".

I can't think off the top of my head a genuine strike by minimum wage workers? If anyone should be striking now it should prison guards who are having to work in appalling conditions in a system that is failing. Southern Rail employees have it good compared to the vast majority.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird since 1948 View Post
    Very naive of you Eric.

Sadly it is not the lowest paid people in society that are striking every week. It is not the hospital porters, cleaners, cooks and security guards that are striking in the NHS it's the privileged junior doctors who are striking about pay and unsociable hours but they pretend it's all about "patient safety".

I can't think off the top of my head a genuine strike by minimum wage workers? If anyone should be striking now it should prison guards who are having to work in appalling conditions in a system that is failing. Southern Rail employees have it good compared to the vast majority.
    I think you make a very good point,
    I do think on this occasion however, that passenger safety is paramount and that a guard contributes to safety.

Trade union membership pro rata is at its lowest since 1940. Only one in every four employees is a member. Collective bargaining is next to impossible at so many workplaces. The rail unions draw strength and communality from having high rates of membership. Nevertheless, they have to jump through many hoops to legally withdraw their labour due to the machinations of the political class since Thatcher came to power. Politicians and their partners know only too well that a fractured workforce, as with the population generally, is easier to control.

Trade union membership pro rata is at its lowest since 1940. Only one in every four employees is a member. Collective bargaining is next to impossible at so many workplaces. The rail unions draw strength and communality from having high rates of membership. Nevertheless, they have to jump through many hoops to legally withdraw their labour due to the machinations of the political class since Thatcher came to power. Politicians and their partners know only too well that a fractured workforce, as with the population generally, is easier to control.
    I rejoined a trade union this year, 32 years after jacking the union in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird since 1948 View Post
    Very naive of you Eric.

How about post office counter staff who are striking this week and the BA cabin crew mentioned a few posts earlier?

And yes I agree, prison guards should be striking. Their lives are in danger because of mismanagement and calls to ban them from striking are perverse.

Agreed. Government rhetoric on this week of strikes makes it pretty damn obvious what they are trying to do, many people still not noticing.

Unions dont protect the working class any more. They protect the middle class.

If they did genuinely support the working class then people might support them a bit more. But its not, its middle earners that strike. couldnt give a shit about them.

How about post office counter staff who are striking this week and the BA cabin crew mentioned a few posts earlier?

And yes I agree, prison guards should be striking. Their lives are in danger because of mismanagement and calls to ban them from striking are perverse.
    This has got my support a bit more recently. I supported the cardiff bus strike last year. But I cant for the life of me support a train drivers strike, earns 2-3 times the average wage and demands more.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    This has got my support a bit more recently. I supported the cardiff bus strike last year. But I cant for the life of me support a train drivers strike, earns 2-3 times the average wage and demands more.
    But this strike is not about pay at all. They aren't asking for more pay and won't get more pay. They just don't want to open and close the doors on a 12 carriage 1000+ passenger rush hour train. If you have travelled out of London in any direction between 5 and 8 on a weekday you should understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    Unions dont protect the working class any more. They protect the middle class.

If they did genuinely support the working class then people might support them a bit more. But its not, its middle earners that strike. couldnt give a shit about them.
    The reason I didn't join the union when I first started my job was that I felt they spent a lot of their time protecting lazy people in disputes with the employer and not enough time working for everyone else. This was just after the union accepted some pretty horrendous terms from the employer, basically they didn't do their job and weren't worth the fee.

I am having second thoughts now.

Let's all go on strike and demand everything and see where that takes us in 10 years time.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Let's all go on strike and demand everything and see where that takes us in 10 years time.
    In my opinion we would be in a better place than if we did the opposite. 'Strike' has become a dirty word over the last few decades and predictably the average wage has stalled meanwhile the income of top earners has soared.

In my opinion we would be in a better place than if we did the opposite. 'Strike' has become a dirty word over the last few decades and predictably the average wage has stalled meanwhile the income of top earners has soared.

I used to think the days of needing a union were over. But as globalisation has flexed itself, big corps are doing everything and anything to keep cost bases down and taxes down, I now think they are needed again. Big corps have got bigger than any country. Something needs to whip them back into shape.

The Unions image has been damaged by their own greed over the years. Its not the guy earning £10 an hour that strikes. Its the guys who earn 60k. If you earn £60k you are in the top 1% of earners. You wont get much support for the wealthiest people demanding more. The unions need to get rid of their old boys and TARGET low/middle earners. They are the ones that need the help.