+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conifers

Conifers

Help , just moved house and next door has a 50 foot conifer overlooking our garden . Met the previous owner of our house and he reckons if I pay , I can get the bloody thing lopped . I know he should pay but it is our light so he does not give a flying f,,k . Anyone on this board got any clue on the cost , or even better anyone can help !!

Re: Conifers

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    Help , just moved house and next door has a 50 foot conifer overlooking our garden . Met the previous owner of our house and he reckons if I pay , I can get the bloody thing lopped . I know he should pay but it is our light so he does not give a flying f,,k . Anyone on this board got any clue on the cost , or even better anyone can help !!
    Why didn't you approach the neighbour before buying the house?

Set fire to it

Just inject a bit of petrol into the trunk of it. Apparently.

I cut mine down with an axe and an electric saw.
    You're welcome to borrow both

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    Just inject a bit of petrol into the trunk of it. Apparently.
    Diesel not petrol

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Set fire to it
    Bit drastic, he's only just moved in there.

Spray lacquer low on his side, an inch or so higher on your side.
    Strong wind in Jan - T-I-M-B-E-R-R-R!

(lacquer eats in and kills the wood)
    Last edited by bobh; 18-12-16 at 22:22.

Not sure you can do much.
    If the tree is undermining the party wall you may have a case. If you can convince your neighbour it is in his interest then he may cut his losses and split the cost.

Above all, I would try and and keep your relationship as amicable as possible though.

There is the high hedges legislation. Depending on your council it will either be the planning dept or env health department that enforce it. Contact them, their may be a fee and you may have to try to solve it with the neighbour first but they can visit and if they agree with you they can order it to be lopped i think. Link here to guidance

Quote Originally Posted by El Gwapo View Post
    There is the high hedges legislation. Depending on your council it will either be the planning dept or env health department that enforce it. Contact them, their may be a fee and you may have to try to solve it with the neighbour first but they can visit and if they agree with you they can order it to be lopped i think. Link here to guidance
    it is a very time consuming process though

a customer of mine has been trying to get his next door to cut some down, its been 18 Months PLUS so far, been to court and everything

Many thanks for all the replies , but all I want to know is how much a fella with. A chain saw will cost me , it's a pretty big job and I am not trying it

I cut mine down 5 of mine with a mate ,the top is easily sawed as its thin .

Cut the branches first so you can lean a ladder against it .

Cut it in sections top to bottom.

Tie a rope to the top so you can bring it down in the right direction when you saw.

When you have cut down to the bottom your work gets harder due to the thickness at the base ,I bought a £50 chainsaw to attack the base be careful though, still way cheaper than paying a tree cutter.

You can kill the root by drilling holes in it and putting SBK or cover it and it should rot .

Good luck be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I cut mine down 5 of mine with a mate ,the top is easily sawed as its thin .

Cut the branches first so you can lean a ladder against it .

Cut it in sections top to bottom.

Tie a rope to the top so you can bring it down in the right direction when you saw.

When you have cut down to the bottom your work gets harder due to the thickness at the base ,I bought a £50 chainsaw to attack the base be careful though, still way cheaper than paying a tree cutter.

You can kill the root by drilling holes in it and putting SBK or cover it and it should rot .

Good luck be careful.
    Its 50ft High FFS when he gets up there with a ladder and holding a chainsaw, I would like to be there with a video camera if that ok!

Pay a skilled guy to do it or leave it alone is my advice. My Mrs was an A & E Nurse for 30 odd years and so many gruesome accidents with ladders and chainsaws. Just my opinion. You wont be able to enjoy the extra light if you only have part of a head.

Isn't there a stupid law saying you have no right to light ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    That was during the Dark Ages?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ring_Peace View Post
    That was during the Dark Ages?
    Daylight robbery.

If it's not cut down you'll end up being a shadow of your former self.

If the tree is not on your property you are able only to cut down any branches that overhang your property. Google "High Hedge Law" and see if this applies. However if there is only one tree then this law will probably not apply.

Is the tree in question dangerous? If so there is the Dangerous Tree Act. Speak to the horticultural officer of the Council for advice?

The best solution is to appeal to your neighbour who owns the tree. It is really for him to decide what to do. He might not want to go to the expense of around £1500 but you could offer to pay or share the cost.

Probably easier to move house again.

Preferably to one without a massive fcuking tree next door.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Probably easier to move house again.

Preferably to one without a massive fcuking tree next door.
    That made me
    It seems to me that the OP can't see the forest for trees.

Many thanks for all the replies , but all I want to know is how much a fella with. A chain saw will cost me , it's a pretty big job and I am not trying it
    I cant remember the name of the company but I know that they had branches everywhere.

Rocco, I would guess that you may have difficulty hiring an experienced tree feller if you cannot first illustrate permission / right to cut the the tree down ?

You cannot chop down a tree belonging to your neighbour without agreement. And neither would anyone with a chain saw do the job as that would be a criminal offence.

Further to my earlier post there is also The Right To Light Act. A good website is here:

http://www.problemneighbours.co.uk/p...ion-guide.html

Do you have a Hedge Fund?

You'll be needing a feller with a chainsaw fella.

Just saying.