+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mersey Monday?

Mersey Monday?

Yet another damp squid on sky last night.

Watched the first half and then went to bed.

Is it just me or are more and more of these 'big' games just a complete pile of shit?

Is the premier league dying a slow death?

Re: Mersey Monday?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post

Is it just me or are more and more of these 'big' games just a complete pile of shit?

Thought it was OK myself.Nice feisty derby.Seen a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPYS DEN View Post
    Really?

Maybe the second half improved then but what I saw was bloody awful.

Pretty sure neither team had a shot on target.

Although I do seem to recall Everton having a corner jus before half time.

Really?

Maybe the second half improved then but what I saw was bloody awful.

Pretty sure neither team had a shot on target.

Although I do seem to recall Everton having a corner jus before half time.
    Yes-really!!!

Sums up all I dislike about the premier league. Very few U.K. Born players and fewer still local players - how the hell can you expect a foreign player to get up for a derby?
    Everton are one of the few clubs left with a tradition stadium and yet they're planning to leave goodison according to the commentator.
    At half time I went upstairs to wrap presents and watch the prince harry show.

I got fed up after about 20 minutes hardly any shots just huff and puff around Everton's penalty area.

The Premiership is dying on its feet and all the ever increasing hype will not make the quality any better

Saying you enjoyed a Liverpool game will turn you into a social leopard around here.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Sums up all I dislike about the premier league. Very few U.K. Born players and fewer still local players - how the hell can you expect a foreign player to get up for a derby?
    Everton are one of the few clubs left with a tradition stadium and yet they're planning to leave goodison according to the commentator.
    I think that's pretty unfair. All of the foreign players will have grown up with just as much understanding of what the merseyside derby is about as any UK players born outside of Liverpool.

If anything, I'd say it's generally the foreign players who give more of a **** about fans and what the games mean to them than UK players in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Saying you enjoyed a Liverpool game will turn you into a social leopard around here.
    Did you really say that ?

Or is it the new "in" joke?

I think someone's gonna make you an escaped goat here

With a nice little twist in the end .

Everton played like lunatics in the first half trying to break Liverpools rhythm.

It was obvious they couldn't keep that tempo up in the second half and Liverpool started to rip through them with their better players
    Nice bit of drama with a goal in the dyeing minutes.

Liverpool miss Coutinho , great player.

I have to agree. Plenty of effort and skill in certain quarters but lacking in real quality.

I happened to watch it all, (admittedly driven by my penchant for seeing Liverpool fail) and I thought Everton might have a chance to spoil their neighbours' title aspirations if they battled like they did against Arsenal last week.
    It was a brave effort and almost paid off but not quite with Liverpool getting a late late equaliser after 8 (yes eight!) Minutes of stoppage time.
    The reds were certainly the better team and probably deserved to win after dominating possession and territory, but eight minutes of IT I thought was excessive and Everton just ran out of legs.

You do wonder though, particularly as most of the best players in the world are playing over here because of the Sky money, whether this will go on and we see China being the draw.... Sanchez reportedly this week being offered a staggering 500K per week by Pellegrini!

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I have to agree. Plenty of effort and skill in certain quarters but lacking in real quality.

I happened to watch it all, (admittedly driven by my penchant for seeing Liverpool fail) and I thought Everton might have a chance to spoil their neighbours' title aspirations if they battled like they did against Arsenal last week.
    It was a brave effort and almost paid off but not quite with Liverpool getting a late late equaliser after 8 (yes eight!) Minutes of stoppage time.
    The reds were certainly the better team and probably deserved to win after dominating possession and territory, but eight minutes of IT I thought was excessive and Everton just ran out of legs.

You do wonder though, particularly as most of the best players in the world are playing over here because of the Sky money, whether this will go on and we see China being the draw.... Sanchez reportedly this week being offered a staggering 500K per week by Pellegrini!

Didn't the goal come in the fourth minute of injury time?

Better add that I enjoyed an egg last week between Ulster and Clermont last week to compound the felony then!!

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

Didn't the goal come in the fourth minute of injury time?
    Yes I think you are right but when you've shot your bolt for 90 minutes, to a man they were knackered, seeing 8 minutes go up is very deflating.

Let's face it, the officials want to make the PL as exciting as they can and Chelsea currently looking like they are running away with it.

Yes I think you are right but when you've shot your bolt for 90 minutes, to a man they were knackered, seeing 8 minutes go up is very deflating.

Let's face it, the officials want to make the PL as exciting as they can and Chelsea currently looking like they are running away with it.
    I didn't see the game so I don't know why there were eight minutes added, but I have read that the ref actually allowed ten minutes injury time in total (six minutes after the goal), so I'm not convinced your theory is particularly watertight.

I didn't see the game so I don't know why there were eight minutes added, but I have read that the ref actually allowed ten minutes injury time in total (six minutes after the goal), so I'm not convinced your theory is particularly watertight.
    I'm not trying to convince you though.
    For others who may be interested, I have a feeling that the Everton keeper going off might have been a fair chunk and he had to play at least another minute anyway for the goal stoppage in IT.

Barkley should get a 3-4 game ban for that.

Then he should be banned by koeman for a month for being so turd.

I'm not trying to convince you though.
    For others who may be interested, I have a feeling that the Everton keeper going off might have been a fair chunk and he had to play at least another minute anyway for the goal stoppage in IT.
    Yeah, maybe that or they don't want Chelsea to get too far ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Barkley should get a 3-4 game ban for that.

Then he should be banned by koeman for a month for being so turd.
    He got a yellow.

So he'll get nothing else.

The same as that manure defender who should have got a red (twice).

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    I was a bit disappointed Welsh youngster Harry Wilson didn't make their bench. He had been training with the senior squad in the build up to the game. It will be good for Wales when he eventually breaks through. Ditto Woodburn if decides he is actually Welsh enough.

Yeah, maybe that or they don't want Chelsea to get too far ahead.

Okay this wasn't the main topic of conversation, probably my fault, and I concede (well it is Christmas, my gift to you ) I may have been slightly blinkered due to being blue for the night.

Don't be so naive though that you don't think that zero corruption exists.
    For example, you cannot deny you've seen an official exaggerate injury time or even just take pressure off a team that is flagging defensively by blowing for something petty.
    Officials are influenced, we have all seen referees slated by a top manager and dropped from officiating involving his team again (your own Sir Alex on more than one occasion )

Quote Originally Posted by Gabalphaville View Post
    I was a bit disappointed Welsh youngster Harry Wilson didn't make their bench. He had been training with the senior squad in the build up to the game. It will be good for Wales when he eventually breaks through. Ditto Woodburn if decides he is actually Welsh enough.
    Hopefully with Mane going off to the African Cup of Nations in January we'll see Wilson and Woodburn get more of a chance at Liverpool

There was the keeper injury and the fracas for the Barkley tackle to sort out so eight minutes was about right.The Liverpool goal celebrations were overlong and he was probably justified in adding time for that-he did play about 10 minutes.I didn't hear either Manager complain about it though.

Okay this wasn't the main topic of conversation, probably my fault, and I concede (well it is Christmas, my gift to you ) I may have been slightly blinkered due to being blue for the night.

Don't be so naive though that you don't think that zero corruption exists.
    For example, you cannot deny you've seen an official exaggerate injury time or even just take pressure off a team that is flagging defensively by blowing for something petty.
    Officials are influenced, we have all seen referees slated by a top manager and dropped from officiating involving his team again (your own Sir Alex on more than one occasion )
    Sorry, I'll tone it down next time.

Interesting debate. Big club bias exists; I remember the ref making two of our players go off as they had treatment just before a corner when Liverpool were down here (Suarez had blasted the ball from a free kick). Skrtel scored of course, and I doubt a ref would have done the same for the home team at Anfield.

Whether it's corruption, which implies something organised or a directive, I'm not sure.