+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your favourite foreign footy team?

Blue in the Face

What's your favourite foreign footy team?

Any fans of any Johnny foreigner football ball teams from the continent and around the world? What made you start following them?

Re: What's your favourite foreign footy team?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Any fans of any Johnny foreigner football ball teams from the continent and around the world? What made you start following them?
    I used to watch Gladbach in Germany and Dunfermline in Scotland (although I am aware that Scotland is not 'on the continent').
    Lately, I have been keeping an eye on Las Palmas in La Liga before I see them get slaughtered at the Nou Camp.

Inter, went to Italy as a 9 year old and was bought an Inter duffle bag
    Also Hearts in Scotland

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I used to watch Gladbach in Germany and Dunfermline in Scotland (although I am aware that Scotland is not 'on the continent').
    Lately, I have been keeping an eye on Las Palmas in La Liga before I see them get slaughtered at the Nou Camp.
    Haha. Scotland counts, as at least they seem to want to be part of the continent it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    Inter, went to Italy as a 9 year old and was bought an Inter duffle bag
    Just as well that you weren't given a hamburger.

International

Juventus, (John Charles) and Stranraer because I passed through there so often.

Greenock Morton.
    Love this picture of Morton fans waiting for a bus in the freezing rain outside Cappielow. Stuart Clarke has taken some fantastic photos of football fans over the years.

https://europeanfootballweekends.fil...3/homesof4.jpg

Besiktas, in Istanbul. Not the greatest team in Turkey but mental fans and matches great fun to watch. Only got to see them twice but memorable occasions.

Barcelona without a doubt the football they play well need I say more.

Borussia Moenchengladbach for me. We lived near their ground when dad was teaching in the army in the 60's.

I love Inter Milan and their fans, great club.

cardiff

Real Sociedad. Spent a year there as part of my degree and hooked up with a girl who was a season ticket holder.

Braunschweig in Germany for no reason in particular

Always liked Celtic as well

FC Nantes, our twin City.
    I've been to several games home and away with the Nantais! They have some great fans.

I've been waiting for this thread to be taken veer by 'Leftards' claiming and dying love for St. Pauli the anti modern football kings.

As it goes for myself it's Wrexham.

Serious question, what flights do you use for Nantes?

In relation to French games, kick off times, tv schedules, what's the usual score.

Mo Johnstone.

Monkton Swifts , not foreign but need love

The mighty Eintracht Frankfurt.

Been to Germany 4 times for 4 'football weekends' (Fri, Sat & Sun games). All 4 times have involved a trip to the Commerzbank Arena (other matches have been Dortmund, Schalke, Leverkusen, Mönchengladbach, Dusseldorf & Köln). Amazing people, and a culture that makes the whole day of the match amazing for the fans.

I've been to one or two games abroad and love European football in general and the Ultra scene.

It's a million miles away from the corporate "best league in the world".

Inter was a great experience as was the Rome derby and the whole football culture was great in Italy.

I enjoyed Germany but must admit to being quite disappointed with the Dortmund vs Schalke game. I enjoyed watching Eintracht Frankfurt far more.

The biggest disappointment i have ever had in football was the "classico". It was great watching Ronaldo, Messi, Iniesta etc but it was an absolute pile of sterile shit. I kept reading about the intensity of atmosphere i would never experience anywhere else but it was absolute shite and i was in the away end!

The best football experience for has to be Turkey. I went to the Fernebahce vs Galatasaray game which was off the wall but my favourite was Besiktas, they were insane there!

Borussia Monchengladbach-lived in the area for 7 years during the 60/70.s.Great side then with players like Vogts,Bonhof,Simonson and Netzer.Go back every year with a group of mates who also worked over there to watch them-Hoffenheim this year-spend the weekend there and take in two other games,one being Bayer Leverkusen.Immer wieder VFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Serious question, what flights do you use for Nantes?

In relation to French games, kick off times, tv schedules, what's the usual score.

Mo Johnstone.
    Sorry just saw this!

I've flown from Southampton to Nantes, also taken the Plymouth Roscoff ferry and driven down. Did done a couple of aways , ferry to Caen once, and took a flight to Nice, then ferry for Bastia game.

I think there are some new routes to Nantes now, check on Skyscanner, they are not normally that expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Armenia Bielefeld for me, I did once go to see BMG V BW Berlin (they no longer exist). I was watching football over there when Tony Woodcock played for Cologne.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Armenia Bielefeld for me, I did once go to see BMG V BW Berlin (they no longer exist). I was watching football over there when Tony Woodcock played for Cologne.
    Finished his career with Fortuna Koln-think he still lives out there.

Call me a glory seeker if you like but it has to be Barcelona for me.
    I first went to watch them in 1988 when we were on holiday in Calella.
    Since then I've watched them 5 or 6 times when we've been on holiday in Spain.
    Not the best atmosphere, but what a team and what a stadium.