+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: smart meters

smart meters

british gas keep phoning me to arrange a date for swapping my meter out for a smart meter. i dont want one and i have told them this a milion times but they keep hassling me. has anyone else had this problem?

Blog Entries

Re: smart meters

Not yet but I'm sure I will do

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    british gas keep phoning me to arrange a date for swapping my meter out for a smart meter. i dont want one and i have told them this a milion times but they keep hassling me. has anyone else had this problem?
    I was supposed to be having one fitted this week, Doris took a day off for the installation, call in the morning from whoever we get the leccy from to say they couldn't do it, shame

I wouldn't get one installed yet - not until the range of meters supplied by the different suppliers are at least capable of being compatible with each other. So that you still retain the same freedom / ease to switch suppliers if they start to take the p1ss.

I doubt that the principal concept of a smart meter is to benefit us paying customers. Nor the environment!

Put them on ignore.

Happy Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    I wouldn't get one installed yet - not until the range of meters supplied by the different suppliers are at least capable of being compatible with each other. So that you still retain the same freedom / ease to switch suppliers if they start to take the p1ss.

I doubt that the principal concept of a smart meter is to benefit us paying customers. Nor the environment!
    I suspect you're correct.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I suspect you're correct.
    The main reason they're being rolled out is to try and provide some control over the grid as everyone starts to install their own PV systems and other generation systems. They'll also be used to make more money for the supply companies without a doubt...

Blog Entries

Love how the adverts for these are saying that are giving them away free, like they are doing us a favour

It will provide the power suppliers with the data they need to start charging different tariffs at different times of the day, a bit like increased train fares during peak times and cheaper off-peak fares. So yes, ultimately for the benefit of the likes of SWALEC etc.

They have no legal right to hassle you into installing one, and you have no obligation to get one installed.

Tell them to feck off, repeatedly. And tell them you're leaving British Gas (do all this in whichever order you want).

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    It will provide the power suppliers with the data they need to start charging different tariffs at different times of the day, a bit like increased train fares during peak times and cheaper off-peak fares. So yes, ultimately for the benefit of the likes of SWALEC etc.
    I'm shocked no one has yet claimed these things cause cancer.

Say you get billed every month and during the month there was a price fluctuation to the downside. Potentially you would benefit as the company doesn't know exactly when you used it as you give them a meter reading at the end of the cycle. Smart meters will just mean that they will bill you when they like to maximise profit.

Tell them to **** off mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ring_Peace View Post
    Say you get billed every month and during the month there was a price fluctuation to the downside. Potentially you would benefit as the company doesn't know exactly when you used it as you give them a meter reading at the end of the cycle. Smart meters will just mean that they will bill you when they like to maximise profit.

Tell them to **** off mate.
    If that is the only way customers think they will benefit then of course the energy companies will win.

As a consumer you need to be clever.

I swapped supplier without a problem, I just have to use my meter as a "normal" meter now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I swapped supplier without a problem, I just have to use my meter as a "normal" meter now.
    So, as suggested earlier, there was little to no point in having had the Smart Meter installed yet. It is already a redundant piece of clutter in your home!

So, as suggested earlier, there was little to no point in having had the Smart Meter installed yet. It is already a redundant piece of clutter in your home!
    You were trying to make out that people couldn't swap suppliers after installation of a smart meter You were wrong.

The meters still record my energy usage, and are more accurate than the 40 year old meters they replaced (these meters were overstating my energy usage by 4%). So you are also wrong to claim this is now redundant clutter. It's just a more modern meter than the old one which was from 1974.

You were trying to make out that people couldn't swap suppliers after installation of a smart meter You were wrong.

The meters still record my energy usage, and are more accurate than the 40 year old meters they replaced (these meters were overstating my energy usage by 4%). So you are also wrong to claim this is now redundant clutter. It's just a more modern meter than the old one which was from 1974.
    "As a consumer you need to be clever" as you said ...
    I'll still wait until the product and is proven to avoid having to make excuses to justify having made an evidently unwise decision.

BTW looking at your posts you strongly remind me of .. never mind...

Kris - I take it you think my post is an exaggeration? Take a look at this:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/b...need-most.html

I suggest we revisit this subject in a few years time.

My missus is from 1974 and she still works fine.

"As a consumer you need to be clever" as you said ...
    I'll still wait until the product and is proven to avoid having to make excuses to justify having made an evidently unwise decision.

BTW looking at your posts you strongly remind me of .. never mind...
    Exactly, you need to be clever. I replaced an old meter that was inaccurate with one that is accurate. Nothing unwise with that, my new supplier are sending a new meter for me next year. It's free as well.

You think that you are tied to the supplier once you get one . You're not.

You think that, once you swap suppliers, you are left with clutter. The meter is tucked away in my meter cupboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Kris - I take it you think my post is an exaggeration? Take a look at this:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/b...need-most.html

I suggest we revisit this subject in a few years time.
    Gofer, I think your post is correct. The energy companies will benefit because customers don't change habits nor suppliers.

More for the government to hack into and further invade our privacy !
    Still, if you've got nothing to hide....,,

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    More for the government to hack into and further invade our privacy !
    Still, if you've got nothing to hide....,,
    this is my concern. i have heard that they are very insecure.

Exactly, you need to be clever. I replaced an old meter that was inaccurate with one that is accurate. Nothing unwise with that, my new supplier are sending a new meter for me next year. It's free as well.

You think that you are tied to the supplier once you get one . You're not.

You think that, once you swap suppliers, you are left with clutter. The meter is tucked away in my meter cupboard.
    Fine and dandy!
    I already have a regular Elec Meter and regular Gas Meter that have both replaced in the last six - ten years. I don't worry about them.
    We manage our energy usage by common sense, and using only what we need. A smart meter won't change that.

I am aware that you can swap suppliers after they have installed one of their bespoke (at time of writing) Smart Meters.
    Of course you can.
    I am aware that you get left with a 'Smart' Meter that is no longer 'smart' after you choose to switch suppliers.
    Hence, the tie-in element alluded to.
    Not a hard tie in, admittedly but a complete waste of time all the same.

I would prefer to wait until it all gets a little more joined up, and also a little clearer as to how the suppliers ultimately intend to use these devices.

I think that is wise.

In the meantime I am not missing out on anything.