+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone recognise the pub?

Anyone recognise the pub?

It must be either 37 or 38 years to the day that I went to the Old Hope pub on North Road for a lunchtime Christmas drink with a group of colleagues from Companies House. As the statute of limitations has probably run out on the crime now, I feel reasonably safe in admitting that it was me who knicked the metal tray that the landlady served us a round with that day.

I fell in love with that tray the first time I saw it, because it had the name of every Brains pub around at the time. There must have been at least a hundred names on there and it became my ambition to have a pint in all of them - I think I made it to about 80 per cent of them.

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is that I've just watched a programme on IPlayer about Christmas records from the 80s and included in it was this video - always preferred the Yazoo version myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX2LuPw0VwI

which was shot in a pub which Sara Cox called something like the Parrot and Whippet, but I noticed that the beer pumps had the Brains Dragon on them.

Now, I'm fairly sure that this is one of the twenty per cent of Brains pubs I never visited, because I can't recognise it (just for a second or two, I thought it might actually have been the bar in the Hope, but it's much too big) - any one recognise it?

Re: Anyone recognise the pub?

I had a quick google and apparently a pub called the dragon in splott, which is no longer there.
    Bluetit in 5,4,3....

It's The Napier

I would hazard a guess at "The Custom House" or "The Tudor"

Only guesses though, but I played darts all over Cardiff and can't recognize that bar, but I think I've got pi$$ed in there so it's docks area I think.

It's definitely the Napier, I used to play darts for the pub and I remember them saying about the video being filmed there.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    I had a quick google and apparently a pub called the dragon in splott, which is no longer there.
    Bluetit in 5,4,3....

Just finished preparing the veg and on the vodka's

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Bluetit in 5,4,3....
    Don't think I ever went there - I went on a proper pub crawl in Splott about twenty years ago, I suppose I might have got in there if it was still open then.

I've been doing some research and came across a thread where someone claims it's this pub in south east London;-

http://www.thecolbyarms.com/gallery/

it looks like it, but there's no evidence of Brains Beer being sold there in those pictures that I can see.

Brian Hibbard, the bloke who formed the flying pickets, is a Cardiff lad, hence the Napier being used for the vid.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    It's definitely the Napier, I used to play darts for the pub and I remember them saying about the video being filmed there.
    I used to get in the Napier in the early eighties and can't remember it looking like that - if anything, it reminds me of the Lamb and Flag on Cowbridge Road, but I don't think it is.

Brian Hibbard, the bloke who formed the flying pickets, is a Cardiff lad, hence the Napier being used for the vid.

I take it you think it's The Napier

He used to live in Canton/Poncanna as well

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I would hazard a guess at "The Custom House" or "The Tudor"

Only guesses though, but I played darts all over Cardiff and can't recognize that bar, but I think I've got pi$$ed in there so it's docks area I think.
    It does look quite like the Custom House - now that was a pub !

FFS IT'S THE NAPIER.

FFS IT'S THE NAPIER.
    Door & dartboard are in the wrong place for the Napier, I THINK

This is the backroom bar where the dart board used to be before they moved it to the front bar.

This is the backroom bar where the dart board used to be before they moved it to the front bar.
    Quite possible, as the Napier were shit at darts, so didn't play there for years and when I did the dartboard was in the front bar.

Quite possible, as the Napier were shit at darts, so didn't play there for years and when I did the dartboard was in the front bar.
    Oi cheeky fecker We (the napier) won the Cardiff city mixed darts league back in the eighties.

Oi cheeky fecker We (the napier) won the Cardiff city mixed darts league back in the eighties.
    As I said, they were shit, I am talking about the peak times, late 60's/70's.

Tavi, were the top team followed by some shitty hole in Ely.

Then you had Dai Lowrey's mob who traveled from pub to pub every season.

As I said, they were shit, I am talking about the peak times, late 60's/70's.

Tavi, were the top team followed by some shitty hole in Ely.

Then you had Dai Lowrey's mob who traveled from pub to pub every season.
    That shitty hole in Ely was the Highfields and they ruled the roost in the seventies along with the Fairwater pub.

That shitty hole in Ely was the Highfields and they ruled the roost in the seventies along with the Fairwater pub.
    DID THEY BOLLOX

We were playing there one night and some loony ran into the bar and chucked an AXE at the landlord.

Sounds like a regular night in the 'H'

DID THEY BOLLOX

We were playing there one night and some loony ran into the bar and chucked an AXE at the landlord.
    Most probably going for the doubles

I take it you think it's The Napier

He used to live in Canton/Poncanna as well
    Brian was a valleys boy, lived in Florence St, off Carlisle St when in Coronation St

Sounds like a regular night in the 'H'

Got a better one than that, one Saturday, sat playing cards in the GROSVENOR (in Splott) all of a sudden the landlords son (Alfie Trask), fires two frigging barrels of a shotgun off through the window.

Apparently he had a grievance against one of the Silver brothers and was aiming at him

Frigging great days.

PS:-- No one said a word when Mr Plod turned up.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Brian was a valleys boy, lived in Florence St, off Carlisle St when in Coronation St
    Yes Ebbw vale originally, spent many years in Cardiff though.

Yes Ebbw vale originally, spent many years in Cardiff though.

Ya, PONTCANNA when the £'s started rolling in.