+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Advice to opposition fans – don’t leave early when you’re playing Cardiff City!

Advice to opposition fans – don’t leave early when you’re playing Cardiff City!

Re: Advice to opposition fans – don’t leave early when you’re playing Cardiff City!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Good read as usual

Re: Advice to opposition fans – don’t leave early when you’re playing Cardiff City!

Interesting and thoughtful piece as usual, Paul.

I'm sure the problems we have keeping the ball out of the net at the end of games is more about concentration, discipline and determination than fitness. That's why I'm confident with Warnock. It might take a while but he will stamp his personality (with all the ugly bits included) on the squad and Cardiff will be streetwise and hard to beat. It will feed all the opposition complaints that we used to be part of - of 'route one' (a lazy and inaccurate characterisation), big, physical, 'in your face', neanderthal.... but the reality will be a side that plays proper football but with aggression and attitude. I'm happy with that.

I posted this table on another thread showing goals scored/conceded in 15 minute bands this season. Cardiff joint worst with Rotherhame for letting them in in the last 15 minutes:

http://www.soccerstats.com/timing.asp?league=england2

It is killing us at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

I'm sure the problems we have keeping the ball out of the net at the end of games is more about concentration, discipline and determination than fitness. That's why I'm confident with Warnock. It might take a while but he will stamp his personality (with all the ugly bits included) on the squad and Cardiff will be streetwise and hard to beat. It will feed all the opposition complaints that we used to be part of - of 'route one' (a lazy and inaccurate characterisation), big, physical, 'in your face', neanderthal.... but the reality will be a side that plays proper football but with aggression and attitude. I'm happy with that.

I posted this table on another thread showing goals scored/conceded in 15 minute bands this season. Cardiff joint worst with Rotherhame for letting them in in the last 15 minutes:

Thanks very much for that link Jon, I knew they'd be available somewhere. Having had a quick look at the other three divisions, we are the joint worst of the ninety two clubs with Rotherham - Burton, Chesterfield and Newport, with thirteen each conceded, are next worst.

Yes, we are a very un Neil Warnock like side in some respects and I'm sure he'll be trying to do something about that in the next month and a bit.

I agree with you about there being more to Warnock sides than crash, bang, wallop - City have played seven home matches under Warnock so far and I'd say two of them offered great entertainment (Huddersfield and Barnsley), another two were very satisfying wins (the wurzels and Wolves) with atmospheres more like the ones I always associated with City until the last few years - that's not a bad ratio at all, certainly better than any other manager since Dave Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Interesting and you are right it is killing us.To me though this is nothing new-I have been going to watch for more years than I care to remember and my re-collection is that it is something that has been going on for ever.In fact I would say it is in the club's DNA,i

If it wasn't for the late goals conceded then we'd almost certainly be up there comfortably in mid table with a chance of getting into the play off places. If NW can sort this problem out over January then I'd be confident that we'd still have something to play for in the second half of the season. Failing a play of place, a decent cup run would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I can go back decades it's always been the same at City. Even if we go 2 nil up it nearly always ends up hanging on for the win or a point