+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LONG BALL ! HOOF BALL ! The way I see it

LONG BALL ! HOOF BALL ! The way I see it

Had a day of footie yesterday and watched 3 games Brighton V QPR, Derby V Brum and Liverpool V Sjoke.

Now I've always been a "Get it in the frigging box" type of watcher, although I do love the finer arts of the game (Ramsey, when he is on the top of his game is a joy to watch)

Now since "OUR NEIL" has been here and stated that if "we got a free kick on the halfway line", he does not want to see 20 passes resulting in the ball going back to our keeper, he wants it in the opposition box, where hopefully we can punish them.

Yesterday, in all 3 games, I lost count of the number of times this happened, short free kicks on the halfway line going back to the keeper and then him "HOOFING IT"

Who is right, "OUR NEIL" or the "tippy tappies" ?????

I'm in "OUR NEIL'S" court.

Re: LONG BALL ! HOOF BALL ! The way I see it

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Same difference surely - a keeper hoofing up the pitch or a player from a free kick.

Football is a very simple game - dont concede any goals and you wont lose - combine this with scoring goals and you will win.

Something like 90% of goals are scored inside the box - so logic tells you - get the ball somewhere inside the box and your chances of scoring are higher than if it is not in the box. How the ball gets in the box is irrelevant - just so long as it does.
    Definitely different, if it takes 20 passes to get it back to your own keeper, your centre halfs, who went up for the free kick will be back in their own half and the goalies hoof will just about get into their half "NOT THEIR BOX", as where you pointed out IT SHOULD BE

Personally I'd rather watch a team keep possession and work openings by creative movement rather than just smash it into the box but each to his own.

You cannot deny that watching Barcelona, Holland 70s or Brazil 82 was entertaining.

I do agree that if the keeper is gonna bang it in anyway you may as well do it first as last but you very rarely see this at the top level (champions league)

It also depends on what angle the ball gets into the box hence the need for good quick wingers. Variation as opposed to route one !

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Definitely different, if it takes 20 passes to get it back to your own keeper, your centre halfs, who went up for the free kick will be back in their own half and the goalies hoof will just about get into their half "NOT THEIR BOX", as where you pointed out IT SHOULD BE
    But you didn't describe 20 passes then back to the keeper. You said we played short free kicks back to him - that's one pass.

Do centre backs normally go up when there's a free kick on the halfway?

I must have watched a different Liverpool then , they worked it out from defence many times .

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Personally I'd rather watch a team keep possession and work openings by creative movement rather than just smash it into the box but each to his own.

You cannot deny that watching Barcelona, Holland 70s or Brazil 82 was entertaining.

I do agree that if the keeper is gonna bang it in anyway you may as well do it first as last but you very rarely see this at the top level (champions league)
    Barca on top form are entertaining, but there is also nothing better than watching Pep's side get beaten when he is passing for passing's sake. Barca also dive far more than a team of that quality and advantaged position should do.

Leicester last season were 10x the side to watch than Barca or Bayern of that year, but perhaps that starts to include influences of the narrative into which style is more pleasing.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    But you didn't describe 20 passes then back to the keeper. You said we played short free kicks back to him - that's one pass.

Do centre backs normally go up when there's a free kick on the halfway?

What's this bit then:---

Now since "OUR NEIL" has been here and stated that if "we got a free kick on the halfway line", he does not want to see 20 passes resulting in the ball going back to our keeper, he wants it in the opposition box, where hopefully we can punish them.

We scored against 'Uddersfield from one.

I've always enjoyed watching Barcelona and i think their reputation of passing for passing sake has always been unfair.

They would always be probing to make opportunities and if the opportunity wasn’t there they would have to come out and think again.

If everybody played with 11 men behind the ball against Leicester then their style of play last season wouldn't work as they are discovering this season.

Leicesters football was far more basic than Barcelona's and i believe there is a lot more thought that goes into Barca's play than meets the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    What's this bit then:---

We scored against 'Uddersfield from one.
    Hmm. Ok.

As has been said, if there's a point to the passes - to open the defence - then this is better even if it ends up back with the goalie to maintain possession rather than lost. Done properly, it's good to watch, like Spain 2008 or dare I say Swansea around 2011. But it went to both teams heads and they later on played paint-drying football.

Getting in the mixer is generally easy for a defence to deal with unless they make mistakes. Playing 50 yards into the area is a great way to lose the ball. As you say, 'hopefully'.

Watching someone like Silva or Iniesta looking for openings is a joy but obviously there's not many players like that around.

I've always enjoyed watching Barcelona and i think their reputation of passing for passing sake has always been unfair.

They would always be probing to make opportunities and if the opportunity wasn’t there they would have to come out and think again.

If everybody played with 11 men behind the ball against Leicester then their style of play last season wouldn't work as they are discovering this season.

Leicesters football was far more basic than Barcelona's and i believe there is a lot more thought that goes into Barca's play than meets the eye.
    Yep, Leicester were counter attacking, much like the Liverpool team with Suarez the season we were up. Leicester not so great to watch for 90 mins but Liverpool were exciting

I imagine sometimes when Barca are being seen to pass for the sake of it they are doing so to re-set their probing and sometimes they are doing so because keeping hold the ball and moving the opposition around allows you to recover while they are having to work harder, especially if you're good enough to click on without a moments notice.

Leicester's style may have worked as a one off but when combining it with the narrative then there will be few more pleasing sights in my lifetime. The time before that an unrelated football side had captured my attention like that was the Dortmund side with Gotze, Reus, Lewandowski and Klopp on the way to the Champions League final.

Tandy likes to compare Warnock to Slade but Warnock can make his style work whereas Slade got rewards but turned everyone off.

Cardiff under Warnock are a horrible side to watch.
    Hoofball, underhand tactics, time wasting, thuggery.

It's all there. His well known "brand" of football.
    The guy should be banned for the eye sore he produces at club after club.

I told you this when he joined and it's happened exactly as I said.
    At least your previous coach tried to play football the right way. You know at least try to give public entertaining passing football.

Quote Originally Posted by Jursset_BrisCity View Post

At least your previous coach tried to play football the right way. You know at least try to give public entertaining passing football.
    Piss Off

Any other members of your family you want to show us today?

What the fcuck do you know about football

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Piss Off

My sentiments exactly

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    What the fcuck do you know about football
    Anything factually wrong in my post?
    Warnock produces exactly what I said.

Countless managers this season have referenced "well that's how they play".

I did tell you.

The manager walking across the pitch at the end of the game to shout at the linesman?

I hope you're not following the Arsenal route of believing that every opposition's coach first task is to entertain your fans.

Anything factually wrong in my post?
    Warnock produces exactly what I said.

Countless managers this season have referenced "well that's how they play".

I did tell you.
    If you think we had entertainment under Slade or Trollope does show how little you know,muppet.

You made more fouls than us in our game earlier this season, if we're thugs what does that make your lot?

Trollope's "Entertaining passing football" entailed 15 passes along the back five before giving it to the goalkeeper who then hoofed it forward

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite enjoying the entertainment on display under Warnock and have gone away from most games thinking 'i quite enjoyed that game' and the Barnsley game was superb entertainment, however i don't see the need to vilify superior brands of football to ours just because we can't play it.

Ultimately it's horses for courses and you are not gonna get Lee Peltier playing like Dani Alves or Gunnarsson playing like Iniesta!

I do hope we stregthen with some flair and pace so we can at least play some more football "in the right areas" in January though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite enjoying the entertainment on display under Warnock and have gone away from most games thinking 'i quite enjoyed that game' and the Barnsley game was superb entertainment, however i don't see the need to vilify superior brands of football to ours just because we can't play it.

Ultimately it's horses for courses and you are not gonna get Lee Peltier playing like Dani Alves or Gunnarsson playing like Iniesta!

I do hope we stregthen with some flair and pace so we can at least play some more football "in the right areas" in January though.
    It's not 'a superior brand of football' unless it is winning.

As for using the term 'brand' to describe football. NO !

I enjoyed watching Liverpool play last night as they played at a tempo and hit some beautiful cross field passes. It was almost like Whittingham was there. However both they and Stoke were shocking defensively and they will win nothing unless they sort that out.

I agree with Tony about free kicks going back to keepers. It's rubbish.
    What I'm amazed we'd don't do more often is push the ball wide from free kick start to improve the angle of the cross.

So many times we attempt the impossible pass.

As for back passes to the keeper, that's fine if the full backs are pushing wide so the keeper can pass to feet, but more often than not the only option is a clearance under pressure, or the ball is held too long and the opposition can get reorganised

It does quite annoy me that, after all the money that has been spent here and the number of new players who have arrived in the last three years, we don't seem to have a group of players here who can play good, effective passing football with pace and quality up front. A team that was put together on a small budget like Barnsley embarrassed us at times a couple of weeks ago and we couldn't have scored those counter attacking goals they managed (we haven't got a striker who could have scored their first one either) in a month of Sundays.

We are still so reliant on set pieces and the ball spends too much time in the air for my liking, but what I will say is that Warnock's brand of football is proving to be a lot more entertaining and lively than Slade's (or Trollope's) ever was - I've enjoyed five out of seven of the home games played under our new manager so far and even the Brighton game was good in a way.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 28-12-16 at 13:59.