+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LONG BALL ! HOOF BALL ! The way I see it

Re: LONG BALL ! HOOF BALL ! The way I see it

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I don't think i or anyone else was saying that the ball has to be passed less than 10 yards to be effective.
    I do think there is definitely a place for a long pass but my whole argument is that people are quick to speak of 'tica taka' in derogatory tones which i find bizarre.

What Barcelona done under Guardiola was incredible and let's remember that most of their players were coming through their La Masia youth system whilst Real Madrid were spending 100s of millions!

In those year they've gone to the Bernabau and thrashed Madrid by 3 or 4 goals at least 3 times which is unheard of.

People who think they were just passing the ball for the sake of it misunderstand what is going on when they are doing it.

I will agree some of Bluetit's original premise that if the keeper is just gonna launch it anywaythat its pointless but let's not throw out the baby with thw bathwater.
    Best team performance I've seen - Barcelona 5 Real Madrid 0 sometime around 2011.

Ball retention became so important on the back of Barcelona's success with Tiki Taka and there were hundreds of imposters kidding themselves that they were playing like them, but they weren't. As has been mentioned earlier, once the type of football Barcleona played in their pomp is attempted by worse players and teams, the results aren't always successful and sometimes they are. simply, boring.

I'd much prefer to see City playing more passing football, but it has to be passing with purpose rather than passing for passing's sake. So many teams do this now, but, like us under Trollope, lack the technique, imagination and courage to really go for it like Barcelona did with the result that they are easy to defend against if you keep your shape and discipline.

Going back to the original point raised in the thread, if the choice when awarded a free kick on the halfway line is either passing the ball carefully sideways and backwards until it ends up with your keeper who then wellies it up the pitch in the direction of an isolated target man or sticking it in the "mixer" with three or four big men forward, give me the latter every time.

Going back to the original point raised in the thread, if the choice when awarded a free kick on the halfway line is either passing the ball carefully sideways and backwards until it ends up with your keeper who then wellies it up the pitch in the direction of an isolated target man or sticking it in the "mixer" with three or four big men forward, give me the latter every time.

Thankyou Bob

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Our Neil is right for us now. Another experimental manager would have sent us into free fall. Personally I would have loved to see Jaap Stam here.

I just want entertainment and sometimes hoofball provides that. But not all the time, every time.
    Can I suggest the New Theatre or St David's Hall for entertainment?

Watching the City is purley for the sado masochistic also what else would we be doing on a Saturday afternoon or cold wet Tuesday night!

Happy new year everyone

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Not sure I said anything about Barnsley playing one touch football, what I did say was that they embarrassed us with their pace and that we are incapable of playing in the way they did despite the "bigger" names (many of whom cost more than any Barnsley player did) in our squad. The only bit of luck I saw in their goals was when Whitts knocked the ball to one of their players for the third one.

Barnsley are joint second top scorers in the division, so they must have had a tremendous amount of that luck you talk about this season. Hopefully, Zohore can maintain his current form and we can keep on presenting defences with more to deal with than the long, high ball to a static big man, because, in complete contrast to Barnsley's pace, movement, finishing ability and incisive passing, that's all we've had for most of the time this season.
    One more advantage Barca have over most others is that everything has been focused to possession based football (their youth programme, their purchases and their management) for at least 20 years now. Potentially, no other team has been that stable off the field over the same period and certainly very few have had the purchasing power that their TV deal gives them.

We should underestimate just how damaging it is to our playing style to have so many plans going into the transfer windows of recent memory. Warnock would be a genius to get attractive football going when picking an 11 from DJ, Malky, Ole, Slade, Trollope's time here.

Barnsley embarrassed our transfer window record far more than our playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by Jursset_BrisCity View Post
    Cardiff under Warnock are a horrible side to watch.
    Hoofball, underhand tactics, time wasting, thuggery.

It's all there. His well known "brand" of football.
    The guy should be banned for the eye sore he produces at club after club.

I told you this when he joined and it's happened exactly as I said.
    At least your previous coach tried to play football the right way. You know at least try to give public entertaining passing football.
    Trashton Gate Hoofball central