+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LONG BALL ! HOOF BALL ! The way I see it

Re: LONG BALL ! HOOF BALL ! The way I see it

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    It's not 'a superior brand of football' unless it is winning.

As for using the term 'brand' to describe football. NO !

I enjoyed watching Liverpool play last night as they played at a tempo and hit some beautiful cross field passes. It was almost like Whittingham was there. However both they and Stoke were shocking defensively and they will win nothing unless they sort that out.

I agree with Tony about free kicks going back to keepers. It's rubbish.
    What I'm amazed we'd don't do more often is push the ball wide from free kick start to improve the angle of the cross.

So many times we attempt the impossible pass.

As for back passes to the keeper, that's fine if the full backs are pushing wide so the keeper can pass to feet, but more often than not the only option is a clearance under pressure, or the ball is held too long and the opposition can get reorganised
    I was answering the point about Bayern and Barca which is a superior brand of football!

Quote Originally Posted by Jursset_BrisCity View Post
    Cardiff under Warnock are a horrible side to watch.
    Hoofball, underhand tactics, time wasting, thuggery.

It's all there. His well known "brand" of football.
    The guy should be banned for the eye sore he produces at club after club.

I told you this when he joined and it's happened exactly as I said.
    At least your previous coach tried to play football the right way. You know at least try to give public entertaining passing football.
    Sacked your manager yet?

Found out big time this season and its not even 2017 yet!

Your on a downward slide and no f****r is going to miss you Wurzel c***s

Quote Originally Posted by protex blue View Post
    Sacked your manager yet?

Found out big time this season and its not even 2017 yet!

Your on a downward slide and no f****r is going to miss you Wurzel c***s

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I was answering the point about Bayern and Barca which is a superior brand of football!
    Is it about their 'system' and 'method' ?

Or having the best players ?
    I think it's the latter.

The term 'brand' is so feckin Sky.

Style of play maybe.
    But 'brand'

I don't necessarily agree it's a superior brand of football. More a brand of football that suits the "superior" players that they have.

What I find frustrating is that because Barcelona have been successful playing a certain type of football, every other team then tries to play the same way as them. This invariably leads to poor football because they don't have the players to suit that type of game.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Had a day of footie yesterday and watched 3 games Brighton V QPR, Derby V Brum and Liverpool V Sjoke.

Now I've always been a "Get it in the frigging box" type of watcher, although I do love the finer arts of the game (Ramsey, when he is on the top of his game is a joy to watch)

Now since "OUR NEIL" has been here and stated that if "we got a free kick on the halfway line", he does not want to see 20 passes resulting in the ball going back to our keeper, he wants it in the opposition box, where hopefully we can punish them.

Yesterday, in all 3 games, I lost count of the number of times this happened, short free kicks on the halfway line going back to the keeper and then him "HOOFING IT"

Who is right, "OUR NEIL" or the "tippy tappies" ?????

I'm in "OUR NEIL'S" court.
    The Warnock is the font of all knowledge , this passing football is the most tedious thing to creep into our game , bloody Spaniards and their gorgeousness.

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite enjoying the entertainment on display under Warnock and have gone away from most games thinking 'i quite enjoyed that game' and the Barnsley game was superb entertainment, however i don't see the need to vilify superior brands of football to ours just because we can't play it.

Ultimately it's horses for courses and you are not gonna get Lee Peltier playing like Dani Alves or Gunnarsson playing like Iniesta!

I do hope we stregthen with some flair and pace so we can at least play some more football "in the right areas" in January though.
    Was going to say that myself, it depends on what players you have that dictates your style of play, or if the team are playing with confidence. Normally teams revert to long ball games if confidence is low.

Is it about their 'system' and 'method' ?

Or having the best players ?
    I think it's the latter.

The term 'brand' is so feckin Sky.

Style of play maybe.
    But 'brand'
    But the superior player dictates the 'brand' of football.
    I read an article the other day which stated that the higher the standard of football the more smaller players are on the pitch.

For example in league 2 there are very few small players but every level you go up you see the players getting smaller and smaller and then when you reach the champions league a high percentage of players are relatively small.

I listened to a guy on talksport yesterday saying that a "good big player" is better than a "good small player" but i don't even know what that means!

Part of the reason that Eden Hazard, Lionel Messi, Diego Maradona are so good is because they have a low centre of gravity that allows them to shift the ball and turn quicker.

I read an article the other day which stated that the higher the standard of football the more smaller players are on the pitch.

For example in league 2 there are very few small players but every level you go up you see the players getting smaller and smaller and then when you reach the champions league a high percentage of players are relatively small.

I listened to a guy on talksport yesterday saying that a "good big player" is better than a "good small player" but i don't even know what that means!

Part of the reason that Eden Hazard, Lionel Messi, Diego Maradona are so good is because they have a low centre of gravity that allows them to shift the ball and turn quicker.

So Warwick Davis is the next Messi, by that logic.

And we should sign Andre the Giant (if he was still alive) and chuck him up front by your logic!

And we should sign Andre the Giant (if he was still alive) and chuck him up front by your logic!

I am picking out ONE aspect of the game, which is free kicks on the halfway line and saying, "instead of wasting an opportunity of getting the ball in the box, use it.

I am not saying LUMP it up the pitch ALL THE TIME.

Example:---- 92 minute of a game, 2-1 down, you get a free kick on the halfway line, would YOU "take it SHORT or LONG"

SEE, simples init.

I am picking out ONE aspect of the game, which is free kicks on the halfway line and saying, "instead of wasting an opportunity of getting the ball in the box, use it.

I am not saying LUMP it up the pitch ALL THE TIME.

Example:---- 92 minute of a game, 2-1 down, you get a free kick on the halfway line, would YOU "take it SHORT or LONG"

SEE, simples init.
    Thing is under Neil Warnock philosophy it's done for 92 mins of the game....

Real are just as good- if not better.
    Again, due to having the best players.

Its all far far more complicated that simple big and small Long and short and this term of 'brand' is a load of bollox.

2 of Liverpools goals yesterday were due to long balls.
    Playing at pace, thinking quickly, making good decisions and executing them is what is required.
    Short if necessary, long if it's on.

Defend properly as well.
    Liverpool, like Forest and a few others who tried to play out from the back without the players to do it will concede more than they would if they defended properly.

Doesn't matter to Barca as 95% of the time their physically and technically superior players will make up for any errors.

Most of this stuff about 'brand' is a pile of Sky induced bollox if you ask me. Sad to see so many who I'd expect to know better falling for it

There are a few big sides at the top half of the premiership, with very big forwards up front , you watch every now and again the ball is pinged to them , its about variation, if you watch Jose substitutions in the later minutes of a game, is always little man off, big man on, as he knows the long ball is coming whoever the side is .

Real are just as good- if not better.
    Again, due to having the best players.

Its all far far more complicated that simple big and small Long and short and this term of 'brand' is a load of bollox.

2 of Liverpools goals yesterday were due to long balls.
    Playing at pace, thinking quickly, making good decisions and executing them is what is required.
    Short if necessary, long if it's on.

Defend properly as well.
    Liverpool, like Forest and a few others who tried to play out from the back without the players to do it will concede more than they would if they defended properly.

Doesn't matter to Barca as 95% of the time their physically and technically superior players will make up for any errors.

Most of this stuff about 'brand' is a pile of Sky induced bollox if you ask me. Sad to see so many who I'd expect to know better falling for it

With all due respect you have just focused on the one word "brand" to ignore the rest of the argument! You have bizarrely interpreted this to make an argument that some people have been brainwashed by sky!

First of all, nobody in their right mind would claim that Real Madrid have been anywhere near as good as Barcelona in the last decade. In the last 11 seasons Barcelona have won the league 7 times compared to Real Madrid's 3. And i don't believe even that reflects the true nature of Barcelona's dominance.

Madrid are probably closer now than they have been during any period in the past 10 years and its no coincidence that this is at a time where Xavi and Alves has moved on and Iniesta's powers are waning.

If you want to see Iniesta's influence watch a re-run of the last classico. Barca couldn't get the ball til he came on then Madrid couldn't get the ball. (This was his first game back after a long injury)

I watched the Liverpool goals back just incase my mind was deceiving me and not one of those goals came from a long hopeful hoof into the box (which was the original argument of this thread that now seems to have evolved into anything other than a 5-a-side pass)

If you are calling the 20 yard dink into Origi's feet a hoof into the box then i give up!

It's a myth that Barca didn't play any passes longer than 5 yards just the would retain possession to work an opening. Personally I'd rather a team do this than just play percentages.

"I watched the Liverpool goals back just incase my mind was deceiving me and not one of those goals came from a long hopeful hoof into the box (which was the original argument of this thread that now seems to have evolved into anything other than a 5-a-side pass)"

At no point did I say any of Liverpool's goals came from "a long hopeful hoof into the box"

What I said was "Teams WASTED a chance of a long hopeful punt", then made 15/20 passes to go backwards to their own keeper.

I was brought up on attack,attack, attack and while we're at it, to take the DEBATE further, "I hate it when a centre forward plays with his back to the opposition's goal"

"I watched the Liverpool goals back just incase my mind was deceiving me and not one of those goals came from a long hopeful hoof into the box (which was the original argument of this thread that now seems to have evolved into anything other than a 5-a-side pass)"

At no point did I say any of Liverpool's goals came from "a long hopeful hoof into the box"

What I said was "Teams WASTED a chance of a long hopeful punt", then made 15/20 passes to go backwards to their own keeper.

I was brought up on attack,attack, attack and while we're at it, to take the DEBATE further, "I hate it when a centre forward plays with his back to the opposition's goal"
    You also said you were a "get it into the frigging box type of watcher" which says to me that you're not a big fan of ball retention.

"You also said you were a "get it into the frigging box type of watcher" which says to me that you're not a big fan of ball retention."

Yes, when you have a FREE KICK on the halfway line and you have in your team 2 centre halfs & 2 full backs who are 7ft frigging tall.

It not rocket science that you are going to cause problems as we did against 'Uddersfield.

Ball retention in your own half is great, FOR SENDING YOU TO SLEEP

With all due respect you have just focused on the one word "brand" to ignore the rest of the argument! You have bizarrely interpreted this to make an argument that some people have been brainwashed by sky!

First of all, nobody in their right mind would claim that Real Madrid have been anywhere near as good as Barcelona in the last decade. In the last 11 seasons Barcelona have won the league 7 times compared to Real Madrid's 3. And i don't believe even that reflects the true nature of Barcelona's dominance.

Madrid are probably closer now than they have been during any period in the past 10 years and its no coincidence that this is at a time where Xavi and Alves has moved on and Iniesta's powers are waning.

If you want to see Iniesta's influence watch a re-run of the last classico. Barca couldn't get the ball til he came on then Madrid couldn't get the ball. (This was his first game back after a long injury)

I watched the Liverpool goals back just incase my mind was deceiving me and not one of those goals came from a long hopeful hoof into the box (which was the original argument of this thread that now seems to have evolved into anything other than a 5-a-side pass)

If you are calling the 20 yard dink into Origi's feet a hoof into the box then i give up!

It's a myth that Barca didn't play any passes longer than 5 yards just the would retain possession to work an opening. Personally I'd rather a team do this than just play percentages.
    There's been little between the sides recently with Real doing better in Europe, where the competition is tougher.

As for the Liverpool game, the 3rd and 1st goals they created were from long cross field passes.

Were they made by a Warnock side they would be seen as long balls, which is what they were 30-40 yards.

Certainly not the pointless short square and backward balls which the statisticians love.

Pace and tempo create chances, and for me it's more important to move the ball quickly and accurately into danger areas than merely keep it.

The top sides and very very best players can do this accurately, but not many at our level can- hence a lot will be hopeful balls. Again better than losing possession in front of you own goals.

Also on Barnsley, which I've seen mentioned, they didn't play exciting one touch football, more sucked us in and hit us on the break - scoring 4 out of 5 chances- and having a fair bit of luck with at least 3 of these.
    Poor defending or the ball breaking or landing in a 1 in 100 spot.

Iniesta is a wonderful player who should have won the Ballon D'or already in his career - perhaps twice. However, this may be entering yet another conversation where I argue that Mascherano was a better player than Messi at the 2014 World Cup and the obsession with goal scoring means we often overlook the best performance on the pitch.

There's been little between the sides recently with Real doing better in Europe, where the competition is tougher.

As for the Liverpool game, the 3rd and 1st goals they created were from long cross field passes.

Were they made by a Warnock side they would be seen as long balls, which is what they were 30-40 yards.

Certainly not the pointless short square and backward balls which the statisticians love.

Pace and tempo create chances, and for me it's more important to move the ball quickly and accurately into danger areas than merely keep it.

The top sides and very very best players can do this accurately, but not many at our level can- hence a lot will be hopeful balls. Again better than losing possession in front of you own goals.

Also on Barnsley, which I've seen mentioned, they didn't play exciting one touch football, more sucked us in and hit us on the break - scoring 4 out of 5 chances- and having a fair bit of luck with at least 3 of these.
    I don't think i or anyone else was saying that the ball has to be passed less than 10 yards to be effective.
    I do think there is definitely a place for a long pass but my whole argument is that people are quick to speak of 'tica taka' in derogatory tones which i find bizarre.

What Barcelona done under Guardiola was incredible and let's remember that most of their players were coming through their La Masia youth system whilst Real Madrid were spending 100s of millions!

In those year they've gone to the Bernabau and thrashed Madrid by 3 or 4 goals at least 3 times which is unheard of.

People who think they were just passing the ball for the sake of it misunderstand what is going on when they are doing it.

I will agree some of Bluetit's original premise that if the keeper is just gonna launch it anywaythat its pointless but let's not throw out the baby with thw bathwater.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Iniesta is a wonderful player who should have won the Ballon D'or already in his career - perhaps twice. However, this may be entering yet another conversation where I argue that Mascherano was a better player than Messi at the 2014 World Cup and the obsession with goal scoring means we often overlook the best performance on the pitch.

Along with maybe Messi, Iniesta is my favourite player. The guy is absolutely incredible and i have been trying to get my little lad to master the La Croqueta.

Not sure I said anything about Barnsley playing one touch football, what I did say was that they embarrassed us with their pace and that we are incapable of playing in the way they did despite the "bigger" names (many of whom cost more than any Barnsley player did) in our squad. The only bit of luck I saw in their goals was when Whitts knocked the ball to one of their players for the third one.

Barnsley are joint second top scorers in the division, so they must have had a tremendous amount of that luck you talk about this season. Hopefully, Zohore can maintain his current form and we can keep on presenting defences with more to deal with than the long, high ball to a static big man, because, in complete contrast to Barnsley's pace, movement, finishing ability and incisive passing, that's all we've had for most of the time this season.

Our Neil is right for us now. Another experimental manager would have sent us into free fall. Personally I would have loved to see Jaap Stam here.

I just want entertainment and sometimes hoofball provides that. But not all the time, every time.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Our Neil is right for us now. Another experimental manager would have sent us into free fall. Personally I would have loved to see Jaap Stam here.

I just want entertainment and sometimes hoofball provides that. But not all the time, every time.
    I'm not questioning that. I'm very happy with the club at present and it definitely looks like we're heading in the right direction.
    I feel like some people are so blinkered by Cardiff City that they fear saying anything negative though.

For what it's worth i think Warnock will sign well and we will definitely stay up and push on next season and I've been very impressed that Warnock has come will a long term vision as well as short term to get us out of the mess we're in.