+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: On this very day, 36yrs ago

On this very day, 36yrs ago

I witnessed, along with others from this board, my favourite Cardiff City goal of all time. John Buchanans free kick against Swansea in a 3-3 draw at Ninian Park.
    I have never been as excited or celebrated a City goal like that since. (Including any play off goal, Earnie goal or Wembley goal).
    The atmosphere toward the end of that game, and the celebrations, (even though we were only snatching a draw), will live with me till the day I die.

Re: On this very day, 36yrs ago

I remember listening to the commentary on Radio Wales. It may well have been Richard Shepherd as commentator. Was a cracking game.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I witnessed, along with others from this board, my favourite Cardiff City goal of all time. John Buchanans free kick against Swansea in a 3-3 draw at Ninian Park.
    I have never been as excited or celebrated a City goal like that since. (Including any play off goal, Earnie goal or Wembley goal).
    The atmosphere toward the end of that game, and the celebrations, (even though we were only snatching a draw), will live with me till the day I die.
    Being pedantic, it was not actually his free kick, as the ball was tapped to him from the free kick.

see here
    Last edited by Michael Morris; 27-12-16 at 18:32.

I was there in the Grange End, fantastic memories

Apparently Tosh (being aware that Buchy was known for having a go from anywhere) remarked "I hope he shoots".

The rest is folklore

Was a great day ,I also wittnessed Buchanan's grass cutter against Wrexham, don't think we've seen the like since.

A god.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I was there in the Grange End, fantastic memories

Apparently Tosh (being aware that Buchy was known for having a go from anywhere) remarked "I hope he shoots".

The rest is folklore
    With the JBs?

Bob bank me

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Bob bank me

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Half way line towards front

and me, fecking mental and we nearly scored again

Bob Bank

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Wow, was it really 36 years ago?! I was there too, in what was the "family enclosure" below the Grandstand. (Moved to the Bob Bank later on for the rest of my time at NP). IMO there was never a goal like it after, either at NP or the CCS. One of those classic "I was there" moments. It sounds crazy now but I thought we had won the game and I must have simply lost track of the goals, such was the euphoria at the end!

Bob bank for me as well.
    One thing I noticed for the first time in that footage. When the Jacks score their third in front of the Canton, there's a few of them at the front celebrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Wow, was it really 36 years ago?! I was there too, in what was the "family enclosure" below the Grandstand. (Moved to the Bob Bank later on for the rest of my time at NP). IMO there was never a goal like it after, either at NP or the CCS. One of those classic "I was there" moments. It sounds crazy now but I thought we had won the game and I must have simply lost track of the goals, such was the euphoria at the end!
    Family Enclosure-my youngest's first game and he now takes his own son.

By me then

Best Goal I've ever seen, started celebrating at the top of the Bob Bank and finished up right down the bottom by the fence

What a goal, what a feeling, scored by one of my all time favourite City players

Bob bank for me as well. We scored a late equaliser in the return fixture towards the end of that season, I remember Peter Kitchen's thumping header securing a point which went a long way to keeping us up.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    With the JBs?
    Yes, well spotted. That poster has been on my radar for a while. I'm sure he's spoken fondly of past caravanning holidays. But is that the full extent of his pikey-like activities?

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Yes, well spotted. That poster has been on my radar for a while. I'm sure he's spoken fondly of past caravanning holidays. But is that the full extent of his pikey-like activities?

Not quite sure I understand yours or NYC's point on this one. Perhaps you'd like to elaborate

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Not quite sure I understand yours or NYC's point on this one. Perhaps you'd like to elaborate
    the grange was full of Jacks on the day, no city fans on there, it was the most they ever had at NP

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    the grange was full of Jacks on the day, no city fans on there, it was the most they ever had at NP
    Ah yes I see now.
    Of course they were as the footage shows. I suppose technically it was the Bob Bank I was situated. The area on the corner by the floodlights just in front of the outside toilets so rather a large faux pas on my behalf.

Thanks Packerman for the explicit explanation, I was painfully slow there