+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A serious question - is this the best song ever?

Re: A serious question - is this the best song ever?

For me Steely Dan's FM is musically perfect, a fusion of soul, funk, rock and jazz, beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV3zWSawJiw

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I take your point and I love that song, but for the last 40 years the pop blueprint has been ABBA, and you can trace it all back to SOS.
    And keep going to motown and the Beatles.

When I was a young lad, this song stood out as being better than anything I had heard before.

I am a person with exquisite taste, and as weird as it may seem, I don't think this song has ever been beaten as a pop masterpiece.
    It's your opinion and I will respect that because it is a superb song and one of my favourites from them.
    It's a strange one for me because at the time Abba were around I liked their music but I wasn't really a fan.
    These days I love their music and Abba gold takes pride of place in my cd collection.
    My 10 year old granddaughter loves them, so that tells me their music as stood the test of time.
    A few months ago we took her to see Mamma Mia in Cardiff and she was blown away. It was absolutly brilliant.
    Going back to your question. In my opinion the best song ever is Romeo and Juliet, by Dire Straits.

When I was a young lad, this song stood out as being better than anything I had heard before.

I am a person with exquisite taste, and as weird as it may seem, I don't think this song has ever been beaten as a pop masterpiece.
    It's not in my top 1000

Radio two are doing the definitive top records of our generation . I bet SOS is no where to be seen in the top twenty .

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    For me Steely Dan's FM is musically perfect, a fusion of soul, funk, rock and jazz, beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV3zWSawJiw
    Can't Buy A Thrill is a magnificent album.

And now they sing about dildos, so what is the point you are trying to make?
    Back to Steely Dan then.

OK, you've had a few too many drinks last night, you're reminiscing on lost loves and past mistakes, you're feeling a little bit too emotional and you feel the need to communicate.

We're here for you mate but please don't burden us with your shit taste in music and don't try to justify it.

Try 116 123

And GSOH, no doubt.

This Charming Man - Is the most universally loved song I think.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    This Charming Man - Is the most universally loved song I think.
    It's all about personal taste, isn't it? And very often it's about music that touched us in our youth. It has a lot to do with time and emotional place.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    ABBA were superb imho, coming just as Punk was in its ascendency, it wasn't "cool" to like them at the time, but they have withstood the test of time and their songs are technically very good, with complex harmonies, vocal and chords.

I like SOS, but for me, Dancing Queen and Winner are better songs.
    Sex Pistols Sid Vicious loved Abba he once saw them arriving at an airport and ran to meet them only for Abba to get freaked out and had their security to stop him

John Frusciante has shown the song to be structurally sound

That's an excellent rendition by Frusciante. great song but, the greatest?, it's too broad a subject

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Sex Pistols Sid Vicious loved Abba he once saw them arriving at an airport and ran to meet them only for Abba to get freaked out and had their security to stop him
    Wise move on ABBA's part.

Look what happened to Nancy Spungen. Better safe than sorry.

I can think of many better

Love - Alone Again Or
    Beach Boys - God Only Knows
    Beach Boys - Good Vibrations
    Beatles - In My Life
    Beatles - A Day in the Life
    Beatles - Yesterday
    McCartney - Coming Up
    Stevie Wonder - Yesterme, Yesteryou, Yesterday
    Kinks - Waterloo Sunset, Wonderboy, Sunny Afternoon
    Bowie - Life on Mars

SOS is a great song though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I can think of many better

Love - Alone Again Or
    Beach Boys - God Only Knows
    Beach Boys - Good Vibrations
    Beatles - In My Life
    Beatles - A Day in the Life
    Beatles - Yesterday
    McCartney - Coming Up
    Stevie Wonder - Yesterme, Yesteryou, Yesterday
    Kinks - Waterloo Sunset, Wonderboy, Sunny Afternoon
    Bowie - Life on Mars

SOS is a great song though.
    Can't argue with much of this. Although, I'd probably take You Set the Scene over Alone Again Or. But then again, is that really a pop song in its truest sense?

You could certainly add a couple of Carpenters songs to that list, The Zombies, even Slade. Does Doo-Wop and Rock and Roll Count? If so, I'd nominate Be-Bop-A-Lula and I only Have Eyes For You.

On this message board they're are some very intelligent, intellectual and wise people,

But I do have to say some of you have a terrible taste in music

Happy new year one and all ( not including you Goslow your a wanker).

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It's all about personal taste, isn't it? And very often it's about music that touched us in our youth. It has meaning and place.
    Ye my father always bangs on about modern music being dire and the Beatles etc being the golden age.

He bases that on happening across radio 1 occasionally. As if that gives a good indication of modern music!.

Music should be a personal choice as you say. Finding what relates to the one "you" there is. And people laud over liking the most well known, popular band that has ever lived!. I don't get it.

At the same time I'm not a fan of people trying to find the most niche music possible, then bragging.

And oddly enough, allegedly the chorus for the 'Pistol's Pretty Vacant was nabbed from the chorus of SOS. I think I recall reading John Lydon said as much.

While they don't sound especially similar, they do share the same melody.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    And oddly enough, allegedly the chorus for the 'Pistol's Pretty Vacant was nabbed from the chorus of SOS. I think I recall reading John Lydon said as much.

While they don't sound especially similar, they do share the same melody.
    If you like reading there's a book called Sids Way which i thought was an excellent read.. That's where i took the Abba story from.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Ye my father always bangs on about modern music being dire and the Beatles etc being the golden age.

He bases that on happening across radio 1 occasionally. As if that gives a good indication of modern music!.

Music should be a personal choice as you say. Finding what relates to the one "you" there is. And people laud over liking the most well known, popular band that has ever lived!. I don't get it.

At the same time I'm not a fan of people trying to find the most niche music possible, then bragging.
    When we sound like our collective fathers we know the game is up. "What's this rubbish?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    OK, you've had a few too many drinks last night, you're reminiscing on lost loves and past mistakes, you're feeling a little bit too emotional and you feel the need to communicate.

We're here for you mate but please don't burden us with your shit taste in music and don't try to justify it.

Try 116 123

I'm with Pete Townsend, Ray Davies and John Lennon on this one, three top drawer songwriters who know a thing or two about writing a cracking tune.

I have just discovered that Steely Dan's 'Do It Again' is about someone who stole 'your water'.
    I always thought it was 'wallet'.
    Last edited by Taunton Blue Genie; 30-12-16 at 14:49.

If you like reading there's a book called Sids Way which i thought was an excellent read.. That's where i took the Abba story from.
    I came across an interview with Benny. He said it took them 5 years of trial and error to work out their songwriting formula. They used to write in the studio everyday from 9 to 5, and even with said formula in place he said they would be happy to get 10 good songs a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I have just discovered that Steely Dan's 'Do It Again' is about someone who stole 'your water'.
    I always thought it was 'wallet'.
    Up until recently I thought the same too, I always sang ' in the morning you go gunning for the man who stole your wallet'