+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A serious question - is this the best song ever?

A serious question - is this the best song ever?

When I was a young lad, this song stood out as being better than anything I had heard before.

I am a person with exquisite taste, and as weird as it may seem, I don't think this song has ever been beaten as a pop masterpiece.

Re: A serious question - is this the best song ever?

It's good, but I don't think it's the best ABBA song, never mind best song ever written.

"SOS" is one of the most-covered of ABBA's songs. It has been recorded and performed in concert by several prominent artists, including John Frusciante, Peter Cetera, Chris deBurgh, and Portishead.

The track has a number of music industry devotees. The Who guitarist Pete Townshend has said "SOS" is one of the best pop songs ever written, adding that when he first heard the song he "was transported by it".

Former Beatle John Lennon declared that it was one of his favourite pop songs, while Ray Davies of The Kinks said that he was taken with the song after seeing the group perform it on the BBC television show Seaside Special.

American singer-songwriter and former Czars frontman John Grant has called "SOS" "one of the greatest pieces of music ever made", adding that Agnetha Fältskog's "perfect" lyrical interpretation and emotional delivery is "a beautiful thing".

British conductor and producer Charles Hazlewood called the song's "supersonic" transition from an acoustic D-minor key to an electric rock motif "absolutely genius".

John Frusciante has shown the song to be structurally sound

Oh well, it must be then......

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Oh well, it must be then......
    It's a debate, but I am surprised that after all this time, I have never heard a better pure pop song. In fact, they have been regurgitating the ABBA pop formula ever since.
    Last edited by Wales-Bales; 30-12-16 at 08:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It's a debate, but I am surprised that after all this time, I have never heard a better pure pop song. In fact, they have been regurgitating the ABBA pop formula ever since.
    ABBA were superb imho, coming just as Punk was in its ascendency, it wasn't "cool" to like them at the time, but they have withstood the test of time and their songs are technically very good, with complex harmonies, vocal and chords.

I like SOS, but for me, Dancing Queen and Winner are better songs.

It's good, but I don't think it's the best ABBA song, never mind best song ever written.
    It's not even the best ABBA song on the ABBA album that SOS was on (ABBA). Which is Mamma Mia.

ABBA were superb imho, coming just as Punk was in its ascendency, it wasn't "cool" to like them at the time, but they have withstood the test of time and their songs are technically very good, with complex harmonies, vocal and chords.

I like SOS, but for me, Dancing Queen and Winner are better songs.
    People like Max Martin have dissected the ABBA sound and it is still prevalent until this day.
    Last edited by Wales-Bales; 30-12-16 at 08:47.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    It's not even the best ABBA song on the ABBA album that SOS was on (ABBA). Which is Mamma Mia.
    I can't see Frusciante getting away with doing a cover version of Mamma Mia at a RHCP's concert haha

As you are nominating the song for the highest bauble I think that I am justified in pointing out that the lyrics are a bit weak here and there e.g.

"Whatever happened to our love?
    I wish I understood
    It used to be so nice
    It used to be so good".

It's that word "nice" that makes me cringe. Particularly when followed by "good" as an alternative.

My Swedish is magnificent, of course....

"SOS" is one of the most-covered of ABBA's songs. It has been recorded and performed in concert by several prominent artists, including John Frusciante, Peter Cetera, Chris deBurgh, and Portishead.

The track has a number of music industry devotees. The Who guitarist Pete Townshend has said "SOS" is one of the best pop songs ever written, adding that when he first heard the song he "was transported by it".

Former Beatle John Lennon declared that it was one of his favourite pop songs, while Ray Davies of The Kinks said that he was taken with the song after seeing the group perform it on the BBC television show Seaside Special.

American singer-songwriter and former Czars frontman John Grant has called "SOS" "one of the greatest pieces of music ever made", adding that Agnetha Fältskog's "perfect" lyrical interpretation and emotional delivery is "a beautiful thing".

British conductor and producer Charles Hazlewood called the song's "supersonic" transition from an acoustic D-minor key to an electric rock motif "absolutely genius".
    Against that, Bert from Archer Road, Ely said SOS was rubbish

D minor is the saddest of all keys. It makes people weep instantly.

Only to be instantly cheered up by an electric rock motif. It's a roller-coaster of a song

I love Dm, Fleetwood Mac used it all the time. You can seriously rock with Dm, Bb, C, F

Not the best pop song, never mind the best song ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    As you are nominating the song for the highest bauble I think that I am justified in pointing out that the lyrics are a bit weak here and there e.g.

"Whatever happened to our love?
    I wish I understood
    It used to be so nice
    It used to be so good".

It's that word "nice" that makes me cringe. Particularly when followed by "good" as an alternative.

My Swedish is magnificent, of course....
    And now they sing about dildos, so what is the point you are trying to make?

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Not the best pop song, never mind the best song ever.
    Well now you have to come up with a counter argument ...

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the music industry rates Waterloo Sunset by The Kinks as the best pop song.

To answer the question posed in the title of this thread, certainly not, but it's always been my favourite Abba song as it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    I'm sure I've read somewhere that the music industry rates Waterloo Sunset by The Kinks as the best pop song.
    It's taken me fifty years, but I've finally realised what all the fuss was about Ray Davies in these past few months.

Well now you have to come up with a counter argument ...
    Gershwin, for one, wrote some fine songs which have stood the test of time.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    I take your point and I love that song, but for the last 40 years the pop blueprint has been ABBA, and you can trace it all back to SOS.
    Last edited by Wales-Bales; 30-12-16 at 10:30.

So why is it called 'Sunny D'?