+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Time for Phil Taylor to retire?

Time for Phil Taylor to retire?

Down to 6th in the world, he's won everything there is to win, yet has managed 3 finals out of the last 16. At 56, he's talked about slowing up. Better to retire now while he's still close to the top or should he continue, potentially along the downward curve his career has taken over the last couple of years?

Re: Time for Phil Taylor to retire?

Time to go

No, I always enjoy watching him lose. Wouldn't want him in the commentary box as he doesn't seem to possess any kind of personality or sense of humour so I hope he carries on playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    No, I always enjoy watching him lose. Wouldn't want him in the commentary box as he doesn't seem to possess any kind of personality or sense of humour so I hope he carries on playing.
    You're the same as me then! Of all players on the oche I still get the most pleasure from watching him get beaten, probably as it hasn't happened that often over the last 25 years.

No, definitely no role in the commentary box for him.

On the other side of the coin, he's level with the great John Lowe on 28 WC appearances each. Fitting for him to beat that?

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    This^^^
    He is not a great loser and cannot take criticism at all

I'm not much of a darts fan tbh, but I did watch his match tonight.

There's an Englishman, the greatest player of all time?, playing a Dutchman in England and some people are booing him? What's all that about?

I can see that he seems to be a bit of a cock, but so do the rest of the players, and the commentators and the majority of the crowd.

I can't understand why people don't seem to like him?

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post

There's an Englishman, the greatest player of all time?, playing a Dutchman in England and some people are booing him? What's all that about?

I can see that he seems to be a bit of a cock, but so do the rest of the players, and the commentators and the majority of the crowd.

He's never been a favourite of mine but I've always admired what he has done for the sport and even though there are people who dont like darts, some even refusing to accept it is a sport at all, they cannot deny that he was the best at what he does for a very long time.
    He has always been outspoken and quite scathing in his remarks about players, TV, commentators, sponsors etc.. and whilst he was the main man, nobody could argue.. he was the best.

The problem with Taylor now he is no longer the main man, he is still spouting off and it just sounds like sour grapes.

Also with darts I dont think it is a nationality thing. You have your favourite and want him to win. Personally I like the 2 Dutchmen.

He has won over £500,000 in prize money in 2016 , more than all the pricks slagging him off in this thread have earned combined I reckon. Is he bothered , I doubt it .

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1...tack_on_women/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/oth...c-Bristow.html

https://www.theguardian.com/media/gr...to-gag-the-sun

First Team

I'm guessing he is tied in with various sponsors contracts so can only go when they are finished or else have to refund large amounts of money.
    Then again maybe he just loves to get up there and play and as someone stated in the thread if he is still earning half a million a year then that's an incentive to hang around.
    Possibly a question of what does he do next. As it appears that a career in the commentary box is off the cards then his options are possibly limited to sitting in the pub and the odd sporting diners as guest speaker. If that is the case then I would be tempted to hang around on the pro circuit for as long as my ranking allowed me.

He needs to recover the £2M in assets from his divorce. Why should he retire when it's his major source of income? Keep playing, keep losing. Hope Anderson beats MvG in the final.

Taylor's a convicted sex offender (aka nonce). That's something the darts establishment and Sky have tried to hide for years, with considerable success.

All he has to do is show up and play darts. Something people do to pass the time in pubs. Like playing dominos or cards. If he can still make money out of it, why retire?

Banned

The match against Barney could have gone either way a couple of big check outs by RB swung the game.

Still think PT has a major left in him.

Love watching the POWER a true legend in the game of darts.