+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will Cardiff splash the cash?

Re: Will Cardiff splash the cash?

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    I think he's here to stay until we are a top ten premiership club and even then i don't believe he will sell..
    I agree Stan. The reason is that in the premiership he will be high profile and in the News every week, consequently his profile is enhanced , In the championship he is A.N.Other.

Banned

I think he's here to stay until we are a top ten premiership club and even then i don't believe he will sell..
    Has Tan found the elixir of life?

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Has Tan found the elixir of life?
    Trust you to go off topic.

Vinny's commitment is evidenced by Dalman's remarks about him being up till all hours with a mug of Horlicks in one hand and a transistor radio in the other pressed against an ear to listen to games. I'm confident he'll stretch an arm down the back of his settee if necessary to provide the funds required by Colin to purchase some top-notch acquisitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Vinny's commitment is evidenced by Dalman's remarks about him being up till all hours with a mug of Horlicks in one hand and a transistor radio in the other pressed against an ear to listen to games. I'm confident he'll stretch an arm down the back of his settee if necessary to provide the funds required by Colin to purchase some top-notch acquisitions.
    I agree, he hasn't become what he is by being a quitter that's for sure. I think we will be in a good place by the end of the season.If Neil can get us settled down by then we will be ok.

So far, the club have tried to stay within the financial fair play regulations and, if that remains the case, the only way we'll be "splashing the cash" in the coming window is if we receive millions for players leaving during January. The regulations have been relaxed yet again in a way that almost encourages clubs to break them in the hope they can get promoted in the three year period they are now allowed and it would be pretty typical of the ham fisted way in which the club has been run since we got promoted if, having, essentially, used the parachute payments to try to balance the books, we now started spending heavily again just as they were running out.

Brighton's accounts for 15/16 were recently released and showed that they have lost a total of £36 million since May 2014, so a loss of £3 million in their 16/17 accounts would see them breaking the rules, but their likely promotion means that they will probably consider that a price well worth paying. So, there is massive scope for City to spend big if they were that way inclined, but everything we've seen from the club since Russell Slade was appointed says it won't be happening - our current manager has also talked about the importance of staying within budget as well.

We need to start discovering the knack of buying players that can be sold for more than we paid for them and if we can do that, we may then be in a position where we could build a squad that might challenge for promotion while staying within the FFP regulations,
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 31-12-16 at 22:47.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So far, the club have tried to stay within the financial fair play regulations and, if that remains the case, the only way we'll be "splashing the cash" in the coming window is if we receive millions for players leaving during January. The regulations have been relaxed yet again in a way that almost encourages clubs to break them in the hope they can get promoted in the three year period they are now allowed and it would be pretty typical of the ham fisted way in which the club has been run since we got promoted if, having, essentially, used the parachute payments to try to balance the books, we now started spending heavily again just as they were running out.

Brighton's accounts for 15/16 were recently released and showed that they have lost a total of £36 million since May 2014, so a loss of £3 million in their 16/17 accounts would see them breaking the rules, but their likely promotion means that they will probably consider that a price well worth paying. So, there is massive scope for City to spend big if they were that way inclined, but everything we've seen from the club since Russell Slade was appointed says it won't be happening - our current manager has also talked about the importance of staying within budget as well.

We need to start discovering the knack of buying players that can be sold for more than we paid for them and if we can do that, we may then be in a position where we could build a squad that might challenge for promotion while staying within the FFP regulations,
    Surely Neil is the guy to find those sort of players Bob?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad as a fish View Post
    Surely Neil is the guy to find those sort of players Bob?
    If we can get Hoillet to sign a longer contract, he will have signed one and if Zohore was to maintain the form he's shown recently for a few months, he would be someone who Warnock will have improved to the extent that he might fall into that category. However, when I think of "typical" Neil Warnock type signings it's more experienced players with little sell on value (e.g. Paddy Kenny, Shaun Derry and Clint Hill) as opposed to younger ones on their way up - maybe others can come up with some, but I'm struggling to think of many cheapish Warnock signings that have gone on to be sold for millions more than he paid for them.

I do not feel we are in one of the same places we have been with Tan previously. Not to say that he will put in millions again but hopefully we're closer to where we were in Malky's first season: there is some money to be spent but it must be spent wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I do not feel we are in one of the same places we have been with Tan previously. Not to say that he will put in millions again but hopefully we're closer to where we were in Malky's first season: there is some money to be spent but it must be spent wisely.
    In all fairness I have my doubts that funds were ever released to be spent in any other way than wisely.

I would be amazed if anything but the bare minimum for survival is spent this month.

Why would he?

If I was Tan I don't feel I would want to pump any funds Into the club after us basically telling him to piss off. I don't see as spending to have another crack at the playoffs as best value back for the club.

I say that, however he did convert his debt to equity. I for one would welcome the megalomaniac back with open arms. That promotion season was the most enjoyable season I've watched in my minuscule time watching us.

I don't see the point splashing the cash unless some real value players come along for long term replacements. I would look to a goalkeeper and a centre midfielder for Whitts

Warnock is an experienced manager and that experience has taught him that there is no point buying cheap youngsters in the hope they will turn into expensive sales. Why would any manager bother given that a run of bad form means they could be out of a job in a matter of weeks. No wonder Warnock opts for experience over potential.

I think we'll see 1-2 coming in with reasonable fees, maybe a total of £2-3m spent and 2-3 frees or loans, with a emphasis on experience, physicality and pace

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I think we'll see 1-2 coming in with reasonable fees, maybe a total of £2-3m spent and 2-3 frees or loans, with a emphasis on experience, physicality and pace
    I would be happy with that as long as the players brought in are part of a long term plan rather than a quick fix

I'd be happy with that provided one of them was a good keeper

Sounds about right and few going I hope

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Sounds about right and few going I hope
    Yes. I think a similar amount will go with some getting fees in.

However I wouldn't be surprised if Tan gambles in the summer provided we stay up.
    Last year of parachute money and I have the suspicion the league will be easier next year with 3 weak teams coming down and 3 strong ones going up.

Yes. I think a similar amount will go with some getting fees in.

However I wouldn't be surprised if Tan gambles in the summer provided we stay up.
    Last year of parachute money and I have the suspicion the league will be easier next year with 3 weak teams coming down and 3 strong ones going up.
    Tan won't gamble. He's shown no interest in the club since the home game with Chelsea a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Tan won't gamble. He's shown no interest in the club since the home game with Chelsea a few years back.
    He's shown a huge interest - and seems to have kept to the commitments he made to fans in February 2016.

He may not be in the Director's Box - but all the reports from Dalman, Choo, Warnock (and Slade and Trollope) were that Tan still has the bug with Cardiff. If he wasn't interested we would be in terminal decline - not on the cusp of much better things!

I can see us building in this window and adding to it in the summer to make a serious push for promotion next season.
    and me

Vinnie will want the glory and next time he will not make the same mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

I believe that NW will be looking to offload 8-9 players in the January and summer window.
    The club needs a shake up and we have quite a number of "fringe" squad players who are never going to get a game.
    Add to that at least 4 first team players that need to leave the club and you can understand that January alone is not going to be the answer.
    I would trust NW to have a better balanced squad by August 2017 and we may be in a position to challenge for a top 6 place, however, small steps at the moment. I do not expect anything major to happen in January.

International

Tan won't leave any time soon. Remember he said after he first joined that he made the mistake of taking his daughters to a game and after that the got the bug for football, and told him if he ever sold or damaged the club they'd never speak to him again.
    with his daughters and his mother on our side we can't lose!!!!!!

Plus as someone already mentioned he is still turning debt to equity, not the action someone about to abandon a project, not in my experience.

what I don't know is if the gradual equity thing he is doing makes our Fair play position better, in respect of buying players.