+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Platform 8

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Platform 8

It was Cardiff General until 1982? I'm 51 and I've never heard it referred to as Cardiff General from anyone of my generation.

It was Cardiff General in the seventies

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ff_General.jpg

That photo looks like it's from the early 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It was Cardiff General until 1982? I'm 51 and I've never heard it referred to as Cardiff General from anyone of my generation.
    my mum does

infact this Christmas i picked her up from Barry and she got the train back from Bath, at the station she asks for a " single to Cardiff General " of course the ticket seller looked at her blankly and said " its not on the computer ", so she says " try cardiff central then "

sure she does it to wind me up

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    My mistake, it was changed to Cardiff Central in 1973. Doesn't seem that long ago.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    My mistake, it was changed to Cardiff Central in 1973. Doesn't seem that long ago.
    Whilst I am old enough I just cannot remember it being called General.

Then again this trend of calling it Central seems to have bypassed me as I have always just called it Cardiff and that seems to have worked out ok, so far.

I can remember platform 5!
    I used to live in Tresillian Terrace, the backs of our houses backed onto the railway lines just beyond the railway bridge over Penarth Road

There were several more platforms when the station was known as Cardiff General. I have been away from Cardiff for many years but still thought it was known as Cardiff General. Cardiff Central is a much better name.