Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Platform 8

  1. #1

    Platform 8

    Cardiff Central station opened Platform 8 today.

    A new platform will officially open at Cardiff Central station today - and rail bosses say it will help ease congestion for train passengers.

    Platform eight will be used for the Penarth, Barry Island and Vale of Glamorgan lines.

    As part of the works, a track for the new platform has been installed and trains will be able to depart westwards from platforms seven and eight at the same time.

    ---------
    When I was a kid there was other platforms on the site where the new car park is now, as you can see from the right hand side of the image below

    WPW041792.jpg
    --
    Everybody has a different way to view the world

  2. #2

    Re: Platform 8

    With all the office development and jobs moving into that part of town (BBC & HMRC for instance) there's going to have to be a hell of a lot more expansion of the station to cope with the extra demand. It's creaking at the seams as it is.

  3. #3

    Re: Platform 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Cardiff Central station opened Platform 8 today.

    A new platform will officially open at Cardiff Central station today - and rail bosses say it will help ease congestion for train passengers.

    Platform eight will be used for the Penarth, Barry Island and Vale of Glamorgan lines.

    As part of the works, a track for the new platform has been installed and trains will be able to depart westwards from platforms seven and eight at the same time.

    ---------
    When I was a kid there was other platforms on the site where the new car park is now, as you can see from the right hand side of the image below

    WPW041792.jpg
    Nice photo. That was the old Cardiff (Riverside) station, which was later incorporated in to Cardiff general (Central since 1982). Trains used to run down to Cardiff Clarence Road station, a train used to run from there through to Pontypridd regularly, round the back of what is now the City line. Later those platforms were used for parcels traffic only, and must have been knocked down to make way for the rear car park about 20 years ago.

  4. #4

    Re: Platform 8

    It was Cardiff General until 1982? I'm 51 and I've never heard it referred to as Cardiff General from anyone of my generation.

  5. #5

  6. #6

  7. #7

    Re: Platform 8

    That photo looks like it's from the early 60s.

  8. #8

    Re: Platform 8

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It was Cardiff General until 1982? I'm 51 and I've never heard it referred to as Cardiff General from anyone of my generation.
    my mum does

    infact this Christmas i picked her up from Barry and she got the train back from Bath, at the station she asks for a " single to Cardiff General " of course the ticket seller looked at her blankly and said " its not on the computer ", so she says " try cardiff central then "

    sure she does it to wind me up

  9. #9

    Re: Platform 8

    Platform 8 to Barry up to 8pm.
    And in special circumstances it could be 1 or 3.
    That's me well ****ed when I'm pissed then.

  10. #10

    Re: Platform 8

    Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Nice photo. That was the old Cardiff (Riverside) station, which was later incorporated in to Cardiff general (Central since 1982). Trains used to run down to Cardiff Clarence Road station, a train used to run from there through to Pontypridd regularly, round the back of what is now the City line. Later those platforms were used for parcels traffic only, and must have been knocked down to make way for the rear car park about 20 years ago.
    Remember looking across at those platforms when waiting for the Barry train, they still had the old maroon coloured signage from years ago.

  11. #11

    Re: Platform 8

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It was Cardiff General until 1982? I'm 51 and I've never heard it referred to as Cardiff General from anyone of my generation.
    My mistake, it was changed to Cardiff Central in 1973. Doesn't seem that long ago.

  12. #12
    First Team
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Nigeria/ Surrey
    Posts
    1,623

    Re: Platform 8

    Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    My mistake, it was changed to Cardiff Central in 1973. Doesn't seem that long ago.
    Whilst I am old enough I just cannot remember it being called General.

    Then again this trend of calling it Central seems to have bypassed me as I have always just called it Cardiff and that seems to have worked out ok, so far.

  13. #13

    Re: Platform 8

    I can remember platform 5!
    I used to live in Tresillian Terrace, the backs of our houses backed onto the railway lines just beyond the railway bridge over Penarth Road
    Many are called but few get up

  14. #14

    Re: Platform 8

    There were several more platforms when the station was known as Cardiff General. I have been away from Cardiff for many years but still thought it was known as Cardiff General. Cardiff Central is a much better name.

  15. #15

    Re: Platform 8

    I started trainspotting there in the 1950's (I've stopped now!) and I've never thought of it as anything other than 'Cardiff General'.

  16. #16
    International Vimana.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    way out west
    Posts
    11,678

    Re: Platform 8

    Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Nice photo. That was the old Cardiff (Riverside) station, which was later incorporated in to Cardiff general (Central since 1982). Trains used to run down to Cardiff Clarence Road station, a train used to run from there through to Pontypridd regularly, round the back of what is now the City line. Later those platforms were used for parcels traffic only, and must have been knocked down to make way for the rear car park about 20 years ago.
    Wow, so much has changed / gone in that photo!

  17. #17
    First Team
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    4,446

    Re: Platform 8

    I have always known and referred to it as Cardiff General. The words used to be set in the stone facia of the building, and I'm not sure but I think they still are. Why do people chang things that don't need changing?

    S now we have 9 platforms - zero to 8.

  18. #18

  19. #19
    First Team
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    4,446

    Re: Platform 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    8 Platforms
    9 platforms

  20. #20
    First Team
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    4,446

    Re: Platform 8

    In fact if you count 3A and 3 B which are really the same one then it is more than 9.

  21. #21

    Re: Platform 8

    Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    In fact if you count 3A and 3 B which are really the same one then it is more than 9.


    Do you mean 9 and three quarter

  22. #22

    Re: Platform 8

    Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    9 platforms
    There's no platform 5 is there?

  23. #23

    Re: Platform 8

    Yes no number 5 so 8 Platforms

  24. #24

    Re: Platform 8

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    With all the office development and jobs moving into that part of town (BBC & HMRC for instance) there's going to have to be a hell of a lot more expansion of the station to cope with the extra demand. It's creaking at the seams as it is.
    Where will be able to sit and drink white diamond ,without being pestered ?

  25. #25

    Re: Platform 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    Yes no number 5 so 8 Platforms
    That's right Platform 5 was the bay platform at the west end of Playforms 3&4, it was taken out if use and filled in sometime in the 1960s I think.

    So now we have 0,1,2,3,4,6,7,8 ......so 8 platforms, although as said above 3 has been split in to A&B, but it's still one platform face.

  26. #26

    Re: Platform 8

    Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough View Post
    Do you mean 9 and three quarter
    Thank you Harry
    Oldie, loves my footy and the horses I do

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •